Metronome issue

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Chris T
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Metronome issue

Post by Chris T »

I thought this was due to my old 2007 Mac Pro, but since upgrading to my 2013 New Mac Pro (12-Core, 64GB RAM), I can now conclude it's NOT computer-related.

When I enable the Metronome (and it happens with MOTU Click and DP Click), it doesn't always work (in fact over half the time it doesn't). I have to disable and re-enable click AS DP is running in record in order to hear the click. As you can imagine this makes things very annoying.

I believe it happens mostly when I have a lot going on in my template - some Altiverbs, lots of Vi's loaded etc. My processor though doesn't seem to be breaking a sweat, and my RAM is only up to 20GB or so (I have 64), so I can't really say it's a "running out of juice" problem.

Any ideas about what may be going on here?

Also, does anyone know if buffer latency can effect the MOTU click? I usually run at 512ms buffers. I believe that my click is always late and when I print click (for recording sessions) I always have to manually re-align the audio.

Anybody else had these issues with Metronome?...

Thanx!
Main SYS: 12-Core New Mac Pro (Dec 2013), 64GB RAM, OS10.10, Apollo Quad Interface, 3xSSD work/sound drives in TB Enclosure, UAD Plugs, DP, VE PRO, All NI, All Spectrasonics, many libraries, VIs etc.
2nd SYS: Intel 8-Core Mac Pro (2007), 28GB RAM, OS10.7, MOTU PCI 424, 2408 interfaces (4), DP8.07, VE PRO, All NI, All Spectrasonics, many libraries, VIs etc.
2 Mac Minis (2011): Dual Quad, 16GB RAM running VE Pro, various libraries in Kontakt, G-Player, UVI.
Chris T

Re: Metronome issue

Post by Chris T »

Wow…nobody else ever has this issue?...
Main SYS: 12-Core New Mac Pro (Dec 2013), 64GB RAM, OS10.10, Apollo Quad Interface, 3xSSD work/sound drives in TB Enclosure, UAD Plugs, DP, VE PRO, All NI, All Spectrasonics, many libraries, VIs etc.
2nd SYS: Intel 8-Core Mac Pro (2007), 28GB RAM, OS10.7, MOTU PCI 424, 2408 interfaces (4), DP8.07, VE PRO, All NI, All Spectrasonics, many libraries, VIs etc.
2 Mac Minis (2011): Dual Quad, 16GB RAM running VE Pro, various libraries in Kontakt, G-Player, UVI.
frankf
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by frankf »

Just so you know someone's read your post, no problems here except with count in feature stutter after count in when recording. I don't use it anymore but locate 2bars before record start and use overdub mode with click on for recording.
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Chris T

Post by Chris T »

Thanks Frank.

Yes - that's when I often get the problem too - with Count-in feature... I guess it's a bug...
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

Chris T wrote:When I enable the Metronome (and it happens with MOTU Click and DP Click), it doesn't always work (in fact over half the time it doesn't).
Chris, can you enlighten a bit more on "it doesn't always work..."? That is, do you mean that it clicks when you begin, then just drops out while you're rolling?
Also, I can't offer any thoughts about using it with "Countoff", but have you gotten the same results, trying it *without* Countoff?
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
Chris T

Post by Chris T »

Hi Will

I'll have to be systematic about my reporting I'm sorry - I'll try to record exactly when it does / doesn't work.

Until then though, I know that it happens MORE when countoff is activated. Count will start, then clicks stop once DP is recording. Very strange... More to come.
Chris T

Post by Chris T »

Since moving to my new computer my Metronome problems I believe only seem to occur when I have Countoff activated. I.e. 50% of the time (or more), when Countoff is active (1bar), the metronome starts, then stops once recording begins (i.e. after the countoff). I'm using MOTU click.

The workaround of just starting the metronome recording 2 bars before (i.e. countoff button not activated) does not work for me if there is a tempo change on the new recording spot (for obvious reasons). Is this a DP bug or is it anomalous to my system? At least FrankF has the same problem as me, so there must be others out there...
Avishai

Post by Avishai »

frankf wrote:Just so you know someone's read your post, no problems here except with count in feature stutter after count in when recording. I don't use it anymore but locate 2bars before record start and use overdub mode with click on for recording.
Thank you for bringing this up. I have the count off issue of not starting on one.