Organizing Audio Bundles

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Chris T
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Organizing Audio Bundles

Post by Chris T »

Is there a way to mass-move Audio bundles in the AB menu, so when I see them in the Track window drop=down menu aI don't have to look up/down for ages to try to find the desired routing? I have a large template with lots of ins/outs/busses, and without easily being able to organize the bundles, it's kind of a mess.

I did like the trick that Shooshie(?) had of putting in spacers in the AB menu to aid in the visual, but being abel to quickly reorganize would be great.
Last edited by Chris T on Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Main SYS: 12-Core New Mac Pro (Dec 2013), 64GB RAM, OS10.10, Apollo Quad Interface, 3xSSD work/sound drives in TB Enclosure, UAD Plugs, DP, VE PRO, All NI, All Spectrasonics, many libraries, VIs etc.
2nd SYS: Intel 8-Core Mac Pro (2007), 28GB RAM, OS10.7, MOTU PCI 424, 2408 interfaces (4), DP8.07, VE PRO, All NI, All Spectrasonics, many libraries, VIs etc.
2 Mac Minis (2011): Dual Quad, 16GB RAM running VE Pro, various libraries in Kontakt, G-Player, UVI.
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Organizng Audio Bundles

Post by bayswater »

I assume you're talking about the listing of options you get if you click on "new bundle" in the contextual menus for Input and Output routing. That lists all the possible ins or outs you can use to create a new bundle, so it will always just be in the physical order for the devices. Instead, always set up the bundles you might want to use in the Bundles window, and they will appear a the top of the list of routing options, and will be in the order you drag them using the MV column in the Bundles window. That's also where you set up the dividers (I think it was FM who posted that suggestion).

AFAIK, you can't drag multiple bundles into new positions in the Bundles Window unless there some hidden shortcut. So it's best to get things set up their early in the project, save in templates, or save various versions of a bundle setup using the export function in the bundles window.

(Related to this, the output appearing at the top of the Bundles window is the one used for auditioning.)
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Chris T

Re: Organizng Audio Bundles

Post by Chris T »

Thanks Bayswater

I guess my routing setup has become such a Frankenstein's monster that I'll have to just sit down one day and re-organzie / drag individual bundles and organize them properly. Shame there's no way of consolidating or 'folderizing' (is that a word?) bundles like you can with tracks.

On a related note, when I enable a new Kontakt instance in DP, then I look in the bundles window, the available Instrument inputs on the upper horizontal always shows up as 64 inputs. Since I have dozens of Kontakt Multis in my template, when many VIs are enabled this makes my Bundles window a drag (pun intended) to manage. I only usually use Max 4 inputs from each instance.

I'm able to do it for my VEP instances (limiting number of Instrument outs), but don't know how to tell Kontakt / DP to only show say 4 stereo inputs. I'm sure this is a very simple KontaKt setting, but I can't find it. Is it a DP thing?

thanks
Main SYS: 12-Core New Mac Pro (Dec 2013), 64GB RAM, OS10.10, Apollo Quad Interface, 3xSSD work/sound drives in TB Enclosure, UAD Plugs, DP, VE PRO, All NI, All Spectrasonics, many libraries, VIs etc.
2nd SYS: Intel 8-Core Mac Pro (2007), 28GB RAM, OS10.7, MOTU PCI 424, 2408 interfaces (4), DP8.07, VE PRO, All NI, All Spectrasonics, many libraries, VIs etc.
2 Mac Minis (2011): Dual Quad, 16GB RAM running VE Pro, various libraries in Kontakt, G-Player, UVI.
bayswater

Re: Organizing Audio Bundles

Post by bayswater »

Chris, I agree it's a PITA when so many unused ins and outs show up in the bundles window, especially when you have multiple VI instances as recommended to spread CPU load across processors. Kontakt does have a window to customize it's ins and out, but I won't be in front of it for a few days, so I can't recall whether that affects what it publishes to DP.

Folders and a means of hiding columns and rows in the Bundles window is quickly going from a nice to have to a necessary feature as the use of VIs increases.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Chris T

Post by Chris T »

bayswater wrote:Folders and a means of hiding columns and rows in the Bundles window is quickly going from a nice to have to a necessary feature as the use of VIs increases.
Indeed! I'll send this request to MOTU. Is there a forum for DP requests on MOTUnation?

I'm sure I can figure out the Kontakt output thing. Just need to dig around.

thanks
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

bayswater wrote:Chris, I agree it's a PITA when so many unused ins and outs show up in the bundles window, especially when you have multiple VI instances as recommended to spread CPU load across processors. Kontakt does have a window to customize it's ins and out, but I won't be in front of it for a few days, so I can't recall whether that affects what it publishes to DP.

Folders and a means of hiding columns and rows in the Bundles window is quickly going from a nice to have to a necessary feature as the use of VIs increases.
The answer you're looking for is "no. Kontakt publishes 64 outputs regardless of how many are actually used". It would be nice if that was an option in Kontakt --
[x] only publish used output channels.
It's also annoying that you can name the channels in Kontakt, but DP shows them with the generic names "Kontakt 5-1 3", etc. It would be helpful if the names in DP matched. I'm not talking about the name you type in, but the names across the top of the bundle grid.
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

It would also be nice if there was some rhyme or reason as to how Maschine publishes its outputs: http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =+Maschine
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku