Mix Board Layouts

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Chris T
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Mix Board Layouts

Post by Chris T »

Not sure if this is a DP8 bug or not, but it's a very frustrating issue (which I've always had earlier in DP versions also):

When I save mixing board layouts (audio / aux tracks), then I go to another layout or select other tracks, then try to re-open my 'saved' layout, it appears that, if I've since ADDED more audio tracks, whichever old mixer layout I try to load, it will always include these NEW tracks that were added to my session. I have to deselect the new ones in the mixer sidebar and re-save the layout. This gets very fiddly when I'm working and makes the saved mixing layouts unusable. Anybody know a way to load layouts that stay consistent regardless of what one does AFTER a layout is saved?

Also, is there a way to rearrange the order of layouts in the mini menu (so I organized by type ?).

Thanks!
Main SYS: 12-Core New Mac Pro (Dec 2013), 64GB RAM, OS10.10, Apollo Quad Interface, 3xSSD work/sound drives in TB Enclosure, UAD Plugs, DP, VE PRO, All NI, All Spectrasonics, many libraries, VIs etc.
2nd SYS: Intel 8-Core Mac Pro (2007), 28GB RAM, OS10.7, MOTU PCI 424, 2408 interfaces (4), DP8.07, VE PRO, All NI, All Spectrasonics, many libraries, VIs etc.
2 Mac Minis (2011): Dual Quad, 16GB RAM running VE Pro, various libraries in Kontakt, G-Player, UVI.
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mix Board Layouts

Post by monkey man »

I can only comment on the order thing, Chris.

It's a right pain in the rear, but I've always jotted down the order I'd like to see them in, and then re-saved them in reverse. This works, but it became too much to bear at one point as my constant tweaking of my default template meant that I was spending way too much time on this. I chose to parse the list down to just a few basic starting points at that time - a compromise of sorts.

I thought this issue had been fixed circa DP7; for some reason I believed one could simply click and drag the names in one of the windows, but I s'pose I must've dreamt it.

Yes, I have actually dreamed about DP. Pathetic, isn't it?

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Chris T
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Chris T »

Thanks MM

Anybody know about the Saving Mixing boards issue?...
Main SYS: 12-Core New Mac Pro (Dec 2013), 64GB RAM, OS10.10, Apollo Quad Interface, 3xSSD work/sound drives in TB Enclosure, UAD Plugs, DP, VE PRO, All NI, All Spectrasonics, many libraries, VIs etc.
2nd SYS: Intel 8-Core Mac Pro (2007), 28GB RAM, OS10.7, MOTU PCI 424, 2408 interfaces (4), DP8.07, VE PRO, All NI, All Spectrasonics, many libraries, VIs etc.
2 Mac Minis (2011): Dual Quad, 16GB RAM running VE Pro, various libraries in Kontakt, G-Player, UVI.
billf

Post by billf »

monkey man wrote:I can only comment on the order thing, Chris.

It's a right pain in the rear, but I've always jotted down the order I'd like to see them in, and then re-saved them in reverse. This works, but it became too much to bear at one point as my constant tweaking of my default template meant that I was spending way too much time on this. I chose to parse the list down to just a few basic starting points at that time - a compromise of sorts.
That's what I've been doing as well. It could be worse though. Such as Logic's mixing board.
monkey man wrote:I thought this issue had been fixed circa DP7
Was it? It's been a long while since I looked at DP 7, but if I have time, I'll boot up my old Mac and look. I only have version 8 on the one I'm currently using.
monkey man wrote:I have actually dreamed about DP
Wasn't that a Phillip K. Dick novel? Do Monkeys Dream of Electric DAW's?
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Surely if it had been fixed then (still don't know), it'd likely still be fixed now, Billy? Dunno. All this talk about it - you'd think it'd be an easy matter to fire up DP and check, but noooo... I don't want to discover that my 8.07 update (not run yet) wasn't purrrfect. At least, not today.
billf wrote:Wasn't that a Phillip K. Dick novel? Do Monkeys Dream of Electric DAW's
Down here in Jungleville there was a best-seller called "Why Monkeys Dream of Eclectic DAWs Such as DP" by Signal Fraud.

Turned out to be an immense help to yours truly as it explained why, upon awakening, I'd only be able to see in 360pee. Apparently one has to turn off auto-squinteyez prior to exiting a dream. Duh. As always, the Monkster missed the oblivious.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here