Adding a bar of silence at the start of a project

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
outofhand
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Adding a bar of silence at the start of a project

Post by outofhand »

DP projects always start at bar 1, with the content starting to play immediately.

That's fine for working, but when bouncing to disk I like to have a small amount of silence at the start of the file, rather than have the audio kick in immediately.

I am wondering if anyone else here does this, and what your method for achieving it in DP might be.

I know that there's a preference in DP for making the bar counter start at 0, but this isn't practical as when you zoom out the timeline divides the grid into bars 0-8,9-16 etc, when the audio itself will be on the grid at 1-9, 10-17 etc. So selecting 4- or 8-bar sections when zoomed out becomes impossible. (Does this make sense? You can't select bars 1-9 when the grid is snapping the selection to 0-8)

Curious to see if anyone is doing this in DP, rather than just adding space to the start of the bounced mix in a wave editor afterwards.
doodles
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Adding a bar of silence at the start of a project

Post by doodles »

I start my tracks at bar 2 or 3. Always stick control/automation data at beat 1 of first bar. Gives me a couple of bars to play with then.
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
csavetman

Post by csavetman »

outofhand wrote:DP projects always start at bar 1, with the content starting to play immediately.

That's fine for working, but when bouncing to disk I like to have a small amount of silence at the start of the file, rather than have the audio kick in immediately.

I am wondering if anyone else here does this, and what your method for achieving it in DP might be.

I know that there's a preference in DP for making the bar counter start at 0, but this isn't practical as when you zoom out the timeline divides the grid into bars 0-8,9-16 etc, when the audio itself will be on the grid at 1-9, 10-17 etc. So selecting 4- or 8-bar sections when zoomed out becomes impossible. (Does this make sense? You can't select bars 1-9 when the grid is snapping the selection to 0-8)

Curious to see if anyone is doing this in DP, rather than just adding space to the start of the bounced mix in a wave editor afterwards.
I suppose you could scroll down to conductor track under the Project menu and select insert measure. Insert 1 bar starting at bar 1 would probably do it.

Also an option. Select all and then select Shift under the edit menu. Select later and enter 1 measure.

Hope that helps
Carlos
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

One thing that I like to do is actually set my Chunk Time start to measure -1. Yes, you can use a negative number. So I get two empty bars (-1 and 0) and then my song starts on the downbeat of measure 1. I also give the chunk a negative start time in the elapsed time to compensate. So I first set my Chunk start to measure -1, then locate to measure 1, take note of the elapsed time, and then set the chunk start to the negative of that time value, assuring that my elapsed time of a song is accurate.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
csavetman

Post by csavetman »

James Steele wrote:One thing that I like to do is actually set my Chunk Time start to measure -1. Yes, you can use a negative number. So I get two empty bars (-1 and 0) and then my song starts on the downbeat of measure 1. I also give the chunk a negative start time in the elapsed time to compensate. So I first set my Chunk start to measure -1, then locate to measure 1, take note of the elapsed time, and then set the chunk start to the negative of that time value, assuring that my elapsed time of a song is accurate.
Hey James-

I've never thought of doing that. If you bounce the session, will it bounce with 2 measures of silence at the top, or is that silence just for listening back in that session?

Carlos
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

csavetman wrote:
James Steele wrote:One thing that I like to do is actually set my Chunk Time start to measure -1. Yes, you can use a negative number. So I get two empty bars (-1 and 0) and then my song starts on the downbeat of measure 1. I also give the chunk a negative start time in the elapsed time to compensate. So I first set my Chunk start to measure -1, then locate to measure 1, take note of the elapsed time, and then set the chunk start to the negative of that time value, assuring that my elapsed time of a song is accurate.
Hey James-

I've never thought of doing that. If you bounce the session, will it bounce with 2 measures of silence at the top, or is that silence just for listening back in that session?

Carlos
I always choose a selection bounds before starting a bounce to disk.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
outofhand
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by outofhand »

All interesting ideas, thanks. Will try.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I start at bar 2, or bar 3 if it's a fast tempo.

If you have any MIDI at all in your project, this is a good practice anyway, as timing doesn't tend to stabilize right away. This has less to do with DP than with how much data has to be dealt with serially at the outset.

Depending on the workflow of the project, I may need a count-in, atop the usual one bar of silence.

At the mastering stage, I use BIAS Peak Pro to delete this buffer all the way to just ahead of the first audio signal, then insert (usually, but some projects require a different amount) 1 second of silence (generally essential to prevent players from skipping and/or missing the start of the audio).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

BTW I'm just stating what I've been doing; not recommending it as ideal. I have been meaning for some time to experiment with other approaches, such as negative timelines as mentioned above.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

outofhand wrote:All interesting ideas, thanks. Will try.
The selection boundaries are essential. That controls the range that DP bounces to disk.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

complete ditto to what James said (starting on Bar -1). I've been using that for years, it's always worked a charm. And all of my templates are set to being on -1/1/000.
As for bounce boundaries, I've **VERY* rarely, DP will drop the first MIDI note of a track set for Bar 1/Beat 1. But no matter how careful you are setting boundaries, it can happen. So I set my start boundary for 0/X/477 and it *never* drops the first note!
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

FWIW, I start my sequences at bar -1 and set tempo in the Conductor Track to 120 so I can put a 2-bip on the downbeat of bar 0. Also set time code start at 00:59:56:00 so bar one hits at 01:00:00:00 (which makes it much easier to line-up video). Even if I'm not writing to picture, this is helpful. For example, I put CC messages at beat one of bar -1 on every MIDI track to zero-out pitch bend and mod wheel settings and set CC7 volume to 127 in case of any odd leftovers from previous sessions.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
frankf

Post by frankf »

When I create individual cue chunks from a master spotting cue, I determine the tempo and time signature of the beginning of the cue first then insert 2 bars before bar 1. This way I ensure the count off is consistent with the start tempo of the cue and the cue start time is the same as in the master spotting cue from which it came. Locating and dropping in a 2 beep is easy at any tempo.
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB