How to connect two MBP running DP8.07 via Network

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
momsfudge59
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

How to connect two MBP running DP8.07 via Network

Post by momsfudge59 »

Hello,

I am headed out on tour this year and I am using DP8.07 to run my software synthesizers, live through a MacBook Pro. I am also going to have a second MBP clone sitting next to it as backup. I use two Yamaha Motif XS8s as my controllers, using the Yamaha Steinberg FW Interface to control both Audio and MIDI on my main computer.

My question is: How do I control both computers at the same time? Is there the possibility of sending the MIDI and audio through a Thunderbolt cable from the main computer to the backup?

Thanks,

Mark LeVang
Gravity Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How to connect two MBP running DP8.07 via Network

Post by Gravity Jim »

Any relation to Neil?

EDIT: never mind. A quick Google search reveals that you look just like him. He was a great player and an early hero: I was sorry to read of his passing. I apologize for tromping into your thread, but have fun on the tour.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
momsfudge59
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by momsfudge59 »

Yes Jim, Neil was my dad. Difficult to say the least.. Be well. Mark
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Shooshie »

I'm getting ready to go out of town for a few days, so I can't go into detail right now, but here is a page from MOTU's site that gives you some idea of what's involved with a 1st-class setup for this sort of thing:

http://www.motu.com/newsitems/atnewsite ... 8308068605

When I was doing this, I experimented with several things, but finally ended up just having the backup computer open to the current song, ready to switch at moment's notice. If there had been a problem, our agreed-upon method was for the lead artist to rap with the audience about undependable technology, getting them laughing (hopefully), while I switch the main interface cables to the other computer, or whatever was necessary. (we had a fully redundant system)

I practiced it, but never had to use it. DP never failed over 15 years or so of tours and live performance. But there are better ways now. I'd definitely go with a more automatic or fully connected method. I tried slaving the backup computer, but if the main computer crashes, then you're slaved to it. Same time-frame: you have to unslave it and switch to it. So, leaving it open was my low-tech solution. McKnight has the best way. Read the arcticle.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|