Pro Tools might be moving to licensing

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Sean Kenny
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Pro Tools might be moving to licensing

Post by Sean Kenny »

bayswater wrote:There is a long thread complaining about it at GS. No one seems to be happy. It's something I hope MOTU never considers. On the other hand, being able to use PT now and then, maybe every two years or so, for a few dollars rather than layout $700-$800 has its attractions for me if I am working with someone who doesn't have DP or Logic.
Show them DP for any length of time and they'll probably switch. Quite a number of my on going clients have. It's worth it just for the tuning feature alone.
Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
http://www.ten21recordingstudios.co.uk/
frankf

Post by frankf »

As far as DP goes, the upgrade charge has been under $200. That's not even annually as DP hasn't been upgrade every 12 months. Even If it works out to $200 annually, monthly it would be less than $16/month. Why would MOTU go to this kind of fee structure? It would cost them to set this up and certainly force an increased upgrade fee. MOTU has been very good on pricing it's upgrades, IMO and that reflects their respect for their existing user base. There must be low margins on upgrades. They don't even take Amex :) BTW, the title of this thread is misleading. MOTU has a license agreement. We have to click the "agree" box with every installation.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

frankf wrote:As far as DP goes, the upgrade charge has been under $200. That's not even annually as DP hasn't been upgrade every 12 months. Even If it works out to $200 annually, monthly it would be less than $16/month.
There's nothing forcing anyone to do every single upgrade though. There are people posting here pretty often that stayed with, and are happy still using v5 for instance.

If AVID makes 'rental' the ONLY option then that could bring some users to DP - people that are staunchly against the 'rental' thing on principle or whatever other reason. AVID would be smart to offer both options IMO. It would be interesting to see long-time PT users taking a good serious look at DP for perhaps the first time- and all caused by a corporate move from AVID!
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

philbrown wrote: If AVID makes 'rental' the ONLY option then that could bring some users to DP - people that are staunchly against the 'rental' thing on principle or whatever other reason. AVID would be smart to offer both options IMO.
As has been pointed out, they plan to do so on Feb. 15.

I'm not understanding the difference between the $199yr and $299yr options. Not my issue but I'm still curious.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I have a very visceral aversion to Adobe's "monthly fee" structure. I admit it's not entirely rational, as people say it can work out to less, but it's what has kept me from getting into Adobe Premier and sticking with Final Cut Pro X, even though some aspects of Premier are better... like it's motion stabilizing function, etc.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Tesionman

Post by Tesionman »

A lot of people seem to happily run old versions of PT. I bet many won't upgrade.
Get Real Live Drum Tracks @ http://www.hugoribeiro.com

Macbook Pro | DP 10.13 | Motu 8Pre (x2) | Apogee Duet 2
Sonor Drums | Sabian Cymbals | Remo Drumheads | Vater Drumsticks
billf

Post by billf »

Subscription fees are nothing new really. Those of us with Waves WUP have been dealing with it now for years. However, with WUP if you stop paying, updates cease, but the software still works with your license frozen and your off ramp version. The worst aspect of Adobe's subscription is if you stop paying, you have no way to keep working because the software license will no longer work.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1