DP9 New Features & Improvements

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP9 New Features & Improvements

Post by stubbsonic »

It almost seems like MIDI polar could/should have come before audio polar.

But if they add MIDI to POLAR, I'd probably have to learn how to use it. :rtfm:
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
HobbyCore
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by HobbyCore »

stubbsonic wrote:It almost seems like MIDI polar could/should have come before audio polar.
Nah. Audio polar first makes sense, since they apparently are targeting DP towards guitarists.

NEED MORE GUITAR PEDAL PLUGINS. :surrender:

:vomit:
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

I'm trully surprised no one has mentioned one of DP's WEAKEST area that needs to be fixed like 7 years ago. It has NEVER worked, and frankly, it is an embarrassment for DP and MOTU, since any other DAW out there has mastered this thing looooooong ago...

Snipping, inserting, moving and pasting IS BROKEN when there is CC or audio automation.

DP messes up the carefully-crafted automation ramps after ANY of those operations by creating ramps that weren't there, it changes the parameter values before and after the snipped/inserted/pasted/moved "region", etc.

In this editing aspect, it is really ammateur time!! So annoying and clumsy! One wastes so much time fixing the automation mess.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Also, there are commands that have been broken since at least DP4. I think they NEVER actually worked!

The one off the top of my head is the Extract Tempo From MIDI command. It just sits there abandoned and useless, when it would be so useful if it worked...
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
frankf

Post by frankf »

FMiguelez wrote:I'm trully surprised no one has mentioned one of DP's WEAKEST area that needs to be fixed like 7 years ago. It has NEVER worked, and frankly, it is an embarrassment for DP and MOTU, since any other DAW out there has mastered this thing looooooong ago...

Snipping, inserting, moving and pasting IS BROKEN when there is CC or audio automation.

DP messes up the carefully-crafted automation ramps after ANY of those operations by creating ramps that weren't there, it changes the parameter values before and after the snipped/inserted/pasted/moved "region", etc.

In this editing aspect, it is really ammateur time!! So annoying and clumsy! One wastes so much time fixing the automation mess.
I know this involves more steps and is a workaround (there I'm covered:) but have you tried taking a snapshot at the selection in and out points to see if that will help?
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Does anybody else think that it is a bit ridiculous and poor form on the part of MOTU to have not put out even so much as a press release yet on DP 9?

I mean, they have 'announced' it, right? Sure, they might not want to list all new features just yet, but why leave your customers speculating and having to share notes among themselves when it would take all of an hour of someone's time to do a presser?

Seems like amateur hour to me, feels like they don't value their DP customer base.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
HobbyCore
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by HobbyCore »

BKK-OZ wrote: Seems like amateur hour to me, feels like they don't value their DP customer base.
No matter what features you want... it seems that many people are starting to feel this way more frequently. :oops:

I'm sure it's not the case, but based on the information we have to work on it isn't an unreasonable conclusion to come to.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I think it is all based on timing. If they have lots of features in the pipes-- they may not know what they can get working for a 9.0 release. If they over-promise it is more damaging than keep their cards a little close to the vest.

Seems like the list of features they WERE able to reveal suggests they are at least somewhat far along. But how NAMM's dates relates to their development schedule is probably pretty hard to control.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

BKK-OZ wrote:Does anybody else think that it is a bit ridiculous and poor form on the part of MOTU to have not put out even so much as a press release yet on DP 9?

I mean, they have 'announced' it, right? Sure, they might not want to list all new features just yet, but why leave your customers speculating and having to share notes among themselves when it would take all of an hour of someone's time to do a presser?

Seems like amateur hour to me, feels like they don't value their DP customer base.
I have not looked at this as a bug so much as just a bad design inherent in DP.
I am sure others mix like I do. I have tremendously complex mixes with pasted EQ.s automating EVERYTHING from compressor thresholds to what have you. Once I get a chorus right, it is a major set of data. Having to paste it later in the song ALWAYS sucks. Pro Tools does not behave like this.
The trick is, you have to INSERT automation data using snap shot, to create little “anchors” Just before and after the area you are pasting into. So if you are pasting a ton of data at bar 70 -90, you have to create those little “anchors at 69, beat 4, sub beat 470, and again just after bar 90. Then you can paste without getting those stupid ramps. It is a lot of work for a ridiculous flaw in the design of DP.

So yes, this SUCKS. But......I never thought it EVER worked right or differently and thus thought it a ridiculous quirk of DP.

Now, are you trying to tell me that at one point, DP pasted automation without creating ramps? Wow, when was that? Are you sure?
Yes MOTU, please change this!! Pretty please.
ANd, another no brainer, MIDI muting please. Add to that a new time stretch algorithm and I’ll be happy without all the new guitar pedals etc. Though the new compressor coming out looks nice, along with the “lanes feature” from Pro Tools...lol
Last edited by toodamnhip on Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Carnac predicts this thread will soon be moved.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

cuttime wrote:Carnac predicts this thread will soon be moved.
Yeah, this group of forum members, meaning all of us, do indeed have a habit of changing subjects,,,lol...
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Not me! LOL
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Not me! LOL
Was it this thread that turned into a discussion about the SUper Bowl or another? EVen James got in on that..lol...
The only thing we can “almost” guarantee is that a thread won;t turn into religion.
Other than that, all bets are off.

I think I recall being on another bulletin board that let’s you see a preview of the text of the last post in your email.

That would be nice to avoid rushing into DP to see a thread that has turned from DP to football....

Unless of course, you’re into football, at which point, I guess you don’t mind...lol
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

For some, football is a religion. Again, not me! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7tC1GHr8ak
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

I think it's fair enough, as I'm sure James does, that we ventured into the nether regions of Unicorn Space, for at least 2 reasons:

1) We're Unicorns and therefore can't help it... and he knows it.

2) MOTU hasn't exactly showered us with fodder on this subject, so we've kinda had to "roll our own".

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here