DP9 New Features & Improvements

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rimskykorsakov2002
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP9 New Features & Improvements

Post by rimskykorsakov2002 »

Can anyone who went to NAMM give us a hint of what new features or improvements DP 9 includes?

Other than the exhaustive (exhausting?) 9-page forum thread about the pros and cons of grid-spacing for music, I really can't seem to find anything?

Thx!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP9 New Features & Improvements

Post by bayswater »

What is know is what's in the link in the first post. It also says Dave Roberts is doing a preview in 11 minutes from now. Maybe we'll get more then.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
dix

Post by dix »

rimskykorsakov2002 wrote:Can anyone who went to NAMM give us a hint of what new features or improvements DP 9 includes?

Other than the exhaustive (exhausting?) 9-page forum thread about the pros and cons of grid-spacing for music, I really can't seem to find anything?
I know! Grids, of all things.

I keep looking for reports too. Here's the only pics I've seen: http://miyaji-parec.jugem.jp/?eid=1289.

Looks like there's also a new Learn Controller feature https://twitter.com/motutech/status/559 ... 40/photo/1 ...hopefully it's also in a contextual menu.

Weird that no one's posted a video.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
thracks

Post by thracks »

Yeah, that thread did go a bit off didn't it? :wink:

David Polich summed it up nicely on page two...
The new 64-bit MX4 synth will be included in DP9.
There are now "lanes" for all automation, in both MIDI and audio tracks, which can be viewed
superimposed over the track, or as separate windows beneath the track.
QuickScribe will now export a Music XML file (great for those Sibelius users).
New "1176" style FET compressor.
New guitar stomp box effects including emulation of Electro Harmonix POG.
New "session comments" sidebar feature, you can enter general comments on each sequence, like "engineered by.." etc.
Mixer looks about the same, pan knobs are much bigger. Overall GUI appearance is about the
same as DP8.
Audio tracks can now display spectrograms as well as waveforms. You can view both or either one.

No mention of upgrade pricing, or exact date of release. No mention of O.S. requirements.
Magic Dave did say he was showing the features that "could be shown", which I took to mean there will be more but they weren't ready in time for the show.
I was there on Friday and saw the demo, and I can honestly say you're not really missing anything without seeing a video. Dave did a great demo as always, but it was mostly centered on demoing a few of the new plugins. Nothing really exciting IMHO. All the new announced features were shown fairly quickly. He also spent several minutes demoing MX4, and the only new thing about it was that it works as 64 bit and is included with DP.

At first I was quite happy to hear that MX4 is back on the radar. I was pretty sure it had gone the way of Unisyn, Volta etc. Then I started thinking. It's great news for sure, but how will it be made available? Will it be tied to DP like their Masterworks plugins or will it be available as an AU/VST? Considering I own a license for it, I hope so. I'd really like to use it in other hosts.

I hope there are more improvements/features yet to be revealed once release of DP9 is close. I'll upgrade, no doubt about it, but as of now this seems more like a DP 8.5 than a DP 9. Probably more to do with the marketing environment these days :?: :?
Steve

2020 Mac Mini | Ventura | 828x |
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Thanks, Steve. Now I'm getting excited... :headbang: :unicorn:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

dix wrote: Looks like there's also a new Learn Controller feature https://twitter.com/motutech/status/559 ... 40/photo/1 ...hopefully it's also in a contextual menu.
Anyone who was at NAMM who saw this presentation, could we get details?
I haven't really messed around with Consoles in DP, but if they add in MainStage style learning to VI's and FX then it would definitely be worth diving into! :shock:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
dix

Post by dix »

Did MOTU say, even approximately, when DP9 would be available? ...this year?
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
billf

Post by billf »

dix wrote:Did MOTU say, even approximately, when DP9 would be available? ...this year?
Somewhere I read (I think it was in the long thread) "Spring 2015." I also read (I think it was in the same long thread) that there were more features to DP9 that Dave wasn't able to show or talk about yet.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
Tim

Post by Tim »

I was told that they're not announcing when yet.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

What about this Learn Controller feature?

If this is what I'm thinking it might be, this could be HUGE.

Or insignificant, if it's not. But we need details! Can anyone get us some details on "Learn Controller?" It's located under the "Project/Consoles," menu, right under New Console. Could this be an update of Custom Consoles that brings them into the 21st century and makes them quick and useful?

Whatever it is, anything that has to do with mapping or manipulating controllers is sweet-talkin' to my ears.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Shooshie wrote:What about this Learn Controller feature?

If this is what I'm thinking it might be, this could be HUGE.

Or insignificant, if it's not. But we need details! Can anyone get us some details on "Learn Controller?" It's located under the "Consoles," menu, right under Custom Consoles. Could this be an update of Custom Consoles that brings them into the 21st century and makes them quick and useful?

Whatever it is, anything that has to do with mapping or manipulating controllers is sweet-talkin' to my ears.

Shooshie
My recollection from the presentation was that it was indeed an update to Custom Consoles.
Probably an update that really incorporated the new learn function and not so much a whole over haul of Custom Consoles. It also looked like you could expand upon the initial “learn” feature by opening Consoles and changing the settings. For ex, Dave spoke of making two controlled items move in opposite directions by going into Custom Consoles and changing settings, utilizing features that have been in Consoles for some time. Dude, you gotta make it to the show one yr again... :D
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

toodamnhip wrote:Dude, you gotta make it to the show one yr again... :D
I keep thinking I'll do that, but after Xmas, New Year and three birthdays in one month, I feel like crawling under a rock for a while. Not to mention my bank account by that time setting off more alarms than Lake Mead. But it's just a state of mind. Let's see if next year I can just make myself do it. I'd LOVE to sit down with everyone at the MOTU-Mac dinner.

I've got an even better idea. Why don't all you guys, and MOTU, come to SxSW in Austin? :lol:

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
dix

Post by dix »

toodamnhip wrote:My recollection from the presentation was that it was indeed an update to Custom Consoles.
Probably an update that really incorporated the new learn function and not so much a whole over haul of Custom Consoles. It also looked like you could expand upon the initial “learn” feature by opening Consoles and changing the settings. For ex, Dave spoke of making two controlled items move in opposite directions by going into Custom Consoles and changing settings, utilizing features that have been in Consoles for some time. Dude, you gotta make it to the show one yr again... :D
Wow. I forgot entirely about Custom Consoles. I remember seeing them mentioned in the manual when I first got DP, but I never got around to using them. Hence, it's not exactly at the top of my suggestions list. What's next a Polar update? ...not that that wouldn't be cool.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

dix wrote:What's next a Polar update? ...not that that wouldn't be cool.
I'd love to see them make a MIDI Polar.
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Shooshie wrote:
dix wrote:What's next a Polar update? ...not that that wouldn't be cool.
I'd love to see them make a MIDI Polar.
That would be cool.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4