new Leslie sim from PSP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
philbrown
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

new Leslie sim from PSP

Post by philbrown »

2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
mikehalloran

Re: new Leslie sim from PSP

Post by mikehalloran »

As one who gave them a bad time about not having one at last year's NAMM, I need to check that out. Has anyone looked at it yet?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I bought it yesterday. So many announcements from NAMM this year that I couldn't keep track of which ones had been posted here vs. elsewhere, so I forgot to post it earlier.

For those of us with cumulative loyalty discounts, it's a no-brainer at under $40. Even for those for whom this is their first PSP product, getting a great Leslie emulator for under $70 is a great deal -- I checked my plug-ins list, and this really IS the first one of any notable stature (yes, I know there are others, but they are really minimal in comparison).

I haven't had a chance to throw this on a production track yet as I am focused on finishing up a metal power trio album, but am hoping to sneak in some time this week to place it on some organ, clavinet (we'll see how many times I have to force that "typo" so it doesn't come up as "clarinet" after I commit my post), electric piano, and even guitar and vocal tracks for my semi-hiatus synth-pop project (Moonlife). Then maybe I'll do some direct A/B comparisons vs. the built-in Leslie effect of my Hammond XK-1c. I didn't yet get around to buying a Neo Instruments Ventilator so can't do that comparison.

What I can say, is that in casual use yesterday on isolated tracks (vs. the mix context), this is the real deal. Several key musicians were involved in the beta testing and the tweaking of this product before it was considered ready for release, and it shows. In other words, this product has already been vetted way beyond the software engineers responsible for coding it.

I do not notice any digital artifacts so far, not any artificial saturation. This plug-in is very flexible regarding your overall signal path and other plug-ins in your effects chain.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Cool! Yea, I forget that it will cost me less due to past purchases.

I really enjoyed meeting them last year. I have some swag in a box somewhere.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

This is what I'd expect from PSP. Even though I've never bought a single plug-in(!) unless you count M5, I've grown to highly respect PSP through the years since OS9. I think I had the free PianoVerb back then and a VU meter (also free).

From the "fattening" analog-style comps through to the Lex-inspired delays and Xenon (Mark, you've said good things about this one on several occasions), the impression I've gained is that it's a rock-solid company that's been around, knows what it's doing and that its product is simple to install and runs without hiccups. IOW, it's this sort of mob who'd be fully deserving of my dosh given that I've held out for a decade and a half in preference to diving into the murky world of plugs and bangin' my head on the bottom.

I've always intended to ask the forum's advice on who to throw my wad at first, but when the time comes for me to add 3rd-party plugs to DP to fill in gaps, I'll be looking to purchase this company's full arsenal. Hopefully it'll do some sort of a deal. You could say I'm a fanboi by default.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I think their EQ's are the most transparent products in the line-up -- especially the emulative ones (vs. the generalized ones). Xenon can be great for certain genres; especially ones that require minor limiting so aren't likely to start sounding plastic.

The downside is that many of the plugs seem to work best on virtual instruments, MIDI-based tracks, keyboards/synths/etc. Not a problem for those of us who work across many genres, but I haven't had any luck with their delays (for instance) on guitar tracks. No matter what I do, they end up sounding plastic. But they really work great on synths! The Lexicon PSP42, however, is an exception, and I used it for mild doubling on my current heavy metal project.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

I'm VERY curious to stack it up against amplitube's leslie emul. Do they have a demo?
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Dwetmaster wrote:I'm VERY curious to stack it up against amplitube's leslie emul. Do they have a demo?
30 day demo.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
csavetman

Post by csavetman »

mhschmieder wrote:I think their EQ's are the most transparent products in the line-up -- especially the emulative ones (vs. the generalized ones). Xenon can be great for certain genres; especially ones that require minor limiting so aren't likely to start sounding plastic.

The downside is that many of the plugs seem to work best on virtual instruments, MIDI-based tracks, keyboards/synths/etc. Not a problem for those of us who work across many genres, but I haven't had any luck with their delays (for instance) on guitar tracks. No matter what I do, they end up sounding plastic. But they really work great on synths! The Lexicon PSP42, however, is an exception, and I used it for mild doubling on my current heavy metal project.
That's funny. I LOVE their delays. The PSP echo is really great, especially when you dirty it up with the drive. That and the 85. Love the filter section in the feedback loop. Plus the ducking feature on both plugs is really great to keep the signal from getting drowned out by the effect.
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

I did took it for a spin, and I have to admit that this might be IT.

There's a whole bunch of options for tweaking but when you first start it up, it ALREADY sounds great.

The only cons I see at first is a pretty sterile GUI. It would have been nice to have some graphic representation of the controls. That being said, I know this is eye-candy so I won't complain too much. I took the time to RTFM and everything is pretty clear.

I'm looking forward to take it for spin in an actual session.
Well Done PSP!!!
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

csavetman wrote:
mhschmieder wrote:I think their EQ's are the most transparent products in the line-up -- especially the emulative ones (vs. the generalized ones). Xenon can be great for certain genres; especially ones that require minor limiting so aren't likely to start sounding plastic.

That's funny. I LOVE their delays. The PSP echo is really great, especially when you dirty it up with the drive. That and the 85. Love the filter section in the feedback loop. Plus the ducking feature on both plugs is really great to keep the signal from getting drowned out by the effect.
Yep, I love their delays, too. Huge fan of Xenon limiter, too. Just to throw in my two bits: I definitely don't think of the word "plastic" to describe their plugs. Not sure exactly what that means.

The delays are warm and user friendly...on vox, guitars, you name it. Xenon is just really "clean" when I listen to it.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

Love it. I put it on a simple additive organ patch in UHe ACE, tweaked a little and it turned into something that sure sounded to me like a Hammond cranked to full-tilt sitting in a room. Chunky, funky and full of detail. Put it on an ice cold digital Spectral patch and it successfully delivered that "where are we now??" impression that good analog distressing of digital synths should do. Super flexible, amazing sounding and if you've bought much of anything from PSP in the past, pretty close to a no brainier price. I'd say this is indeed 'the one.' PSP have really been amazing lately at finding that hole in the arsenal - that thing that hasn't quite been done well enough, and hitting it out of the park.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Lucky for us DP users, L'otary doesn't consume a lot of CPU (at least it doesn't on my two Macs). I'm seeing some complaints on other forums about heavy CPU usage on some systems.

I kind of wish the GUI looked more "wooden", yes, but that's an inconsequential niggle. I have
Amplitube 3's Leslie, Melda Production's Vintage Rotary, and the L 122 plugin. The L 122 never
impressed me as being authentic. Amp 3's Leslie is usable but not enough options for control of mic placement, ramp up and down, drive, etc. I have to put Melda's Vintage Rotary and PSP's
L'otary on equal footing…both are great, Melda's is cleaner and more "upfront" while PSP's
effect always sounds like it's in a room no matter what I do. Which is ok.

PSP's rotary can have a tendency to sound "sawtooth-wavey" when the speed is fast, if you're
not careful about how you set the drive. There's a particular frequency at which a real Leslie's
horn "whistles" and PSP L'otary is pretty close. That said, out of all the rotary effects, I have to
give top honors to Neo Instruments Ventilator. Unfortunately it's not a plug-in.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I bit last night. Yea, worth the money. IMO.
dbender

Post by dbender »

Wouldn't ya know, but just before this was released I'd bought Melda's MVintage Rotary when it was on 50% off sale. It's really good sounding and has advanced settings to tweak (and groovy gui w/ pics of the 3 different rotary cab models).

Anyone experienced how the PSP compares to the Melda MVintage Rotary?
iMac 3.0 GHz, 8 GHz ram, OS 10.6.4, MOTU 828 Mk II, MOTU MIDI Express-XT (x2), KRK Rokit 6's, Novation Remote Zero SL, Radikal SAC-2k, Triton rack maxed out, Matrix 1000, Handsonic HPD-15 drum pads, tons 'o VI's.....