new Leslie sim from PSP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: new Leslie sim from PSP

Post by mhschmieder »

Well, I did say that I love their delays too; just not on live electric guitar (as opposed to MIDI sources or keyboards/synths).

I also hated my TC Electronic Dual Tap Delay rack unit (I forget its name; the D-TWO?). Loved the Triplc-C compressor/expander/limiter/gate though (very flexible and transparent, but the compressor in VSL's Vienna Suite is almost an exact emulation of that unit and it was limited by S/PDIF's sample rate(s) so I sold it).

Most digital delays really bother me a lot, when applied to guitar. My Empress delay pedal is a rare exception.

We'll see how this Leslie is on guitar. I tried it on one track and didn't like it at all, but it was a poorly recorded track. Loved it on every keyboard source I threw at it. I typically prefer other types of modulation on guitar though (e.g. the somewhat similar Uni-Vibe, from Fulltone).

My comment about the other delays (except the Lexicon emu, which is very authentic) sounding "plastic" is that there is a phasiness inherent to their character, even at low settings. Also sometimes an upper-mid harshness. I consider them character plug-ins. Really fun toys, but not something you'd throw on a recorded guitar track that already has the desired timbre. Maybe during tracking, if you adjust to accommodate it.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

dbender wrote:Wouldn't ya know, but just before this was released I'd bought Melda's MVintage Rotary when it was on 50% off sale. It's really good sounding and has advanced settings to tweak (and groovy gui w/ pics of the 3 different rotary cab models).

Anyone experienced how the PSP compares to the Melda MVintage Rotary?
Read David's post 2 posts before yours.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
dbender

Post by dbender »

philbrown wrote:
dbender wrote:Wouldn't ya know, but just before this was released I'd bought Melda's MVintage Rotary when it was on 50% off sale. It's really good sounding and has advanced settings to tweak (and groovy gui w/ pics of the 3 different rotary cab models).

Anyone experienced how the PSP compares to the Melda MVintage Rotary?
Read David's post 2 posts before yours.
Thanks Phil :) , wondering if anyone else has views on the two in comparison....
iMac 3.0 GHz, 8 GHz ram, OS 10.6.4, MOTU 828 Mk II, MOTU MIDI Express-XT (x2), KRK Rokit 6's, Novation Remote Zero SL, Radikal SAC-2k, Triton rack maxed out, Matrix 1000, Handsonic HPD-15 drum pads, tons 'o VI's.....
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I think MachFive might have a Leslie effect as well. I'll try to remember to check when I get homne. My recollection is that Gospel Musicians took advantage of it when they ported their Kontakt libraries (e-pianos) to MachFive.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

David Polich wrote:...There's a particular frequency at which a real Leslie's
horn "whistles" and PSP L'otary is pretty close.
My point exactly. And that's what always got me off all the other emulations. Amplitube was the closest but indeed the lack of option was a drawback.

David Polich wrote:That said, out of all the rotary effects, I have to
give top honors to Neo Instruments Ventilator.
Hands down...
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

mhschmieder wrote:The downside is that many of the plugs seem to work best on... MIDI-based tracks, keyboards/synths/etc.
That's the bulk of my "arsenal", Mark, so whoopeedoo!

Heck, bass, guitar and vox are just icing on the MIDI cake for me. At least, that's how it was when I last recorded (in the '90s!)...

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Well, if the Neo Vent is still king, I'll probably just reserve L'otary from "done forever" legacy tracks and MIDI-based production vs. live recorded Hammond tracks in new project work.

I was going to buy Vent II but am holding out for the rack edition, which might get announced/shown at MusikMesse in April. It adds a reverb (spring?), but otherwise is simply more ergonomic for my purposes -- though the new pedal is smaller and could be velcro-attached to a spare area of the XK-1c.

Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

I mainly posting this just because this guy is just so awesome to watch as a player. It's not a plug-in so irrelevant for the present thread. Nice drive feature, too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8QQ4EimOoYo
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Babz wrote:I mainly posting this just because this guy is just so awesome to watch as a player. It's not a plug-in so irrelevant for the present thread. Nice drive feature, too.

Oh yea! That was fun to watch, to be sure. If I was a better keyboard player and played much live, it would be on my list for certain. Very impressive piece of hardware for five bills.

For my needs, the PSP L'otary plug is more than adequate. Under $70 (how much under depends on past purchases) till the end of the month. Then it goes to $99.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Babz wrote:I mainly posting this just because this guy is just so awesome to watch as a player. It's not a plug-in so irrelevant for the present thread. Nice drive feature, too.

That was good!
You bring up an important point, Babz - the drive sound. That's one thing I really like about my VK-8m Roland- the sound of the overdrive on it is nice and it has several different flavors to choose from.

The Ventilator is killer but at that price it should be! Hauled around a 147 for years, what a Godsend the Ventilator would have been back then.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Who needs plugins? That guy is a one-man keyboard band. What a great left hand, too!

You made my day with this post, Babz. Now I'm going to look for more stuff by Jim Alfredson.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Dwetmaster wrote:
David Polich wrote:That said, out of all the rotary effects, I have to
give top honors to Neo Instruments Ventilator.
Hands down...
LOVE my Mini Vent, but have only used it live, where it brings girth, motion and balls to the anemic Motif Organs; on a good night, my solos now have me feeling almost epic.

I guess I better try it in studio!