NAMM 2015: DP9

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Altauria
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: NAMM 2015: DP9

Post by Altauria »

HobbyCore wrote:
OldTimey wrote:MOTU: NO ABSOLUTE GRID AT THE EXPENSE OF RELATIVE GRID

thank you

see you next time,

OldTimey
There's no need for it to be 'one or the other'.

Other softwares implement both just fine.
As long as it's not executed in the manner of Logic Pro. I would have to find a different DAW, and I don't mean that in an exaggerated, reactionary, way.
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Funny thing, the only time I use amp/stompbox plugins is for live use... when I'm in MainStage. So I have NO USE for these things in DP, and because their all MAS, I can't use them outside of DP! Arrrgggg!
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
HobbyCore
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by HobbyCore »

Altauria wrote:
HobbyCore wrote:
OldTimey wrote:MOTU: NO ABSOLUTE GRID AT THE EXPENSE OF RELATIVE GRID

thank you

see you next time,

OldTimey
There's no need for it to be 'one or the other'.

As long as it's not executed in the manner of Logic Pro. I would have to find a different DAW, and I don't mean that in an exaggerated, reactionary, way.
What is wrong with how it is implemented in Logic?
Altauria

Post by Altauria »

HobbyCore wrote:
Altauria wrote:
HobbyCore wrote: There's no need for it to be 'one or the other'.

It's the overall hierarchy of 'objects'. The treatment of regions are very static and inflexible, as if it's forcing me to deal with buckets of objects that don't necessarily need to be organized; and yet, their arrange window does not communicate that same sense of rigidness. It's like building a brick wall in outer space. I feel like I'm a cook whose mise en place is in a lock-box, placed in separate corners of the kitchen.

To be sure I have actually asked Logic-users to explain the principles of their regions, and even explain how to simply select areas within time. The only answers I get are, at best, explained in terms of what Logic does while ignoring the original question, or at worst...myopic (same as the best I guess, ha).

I wish I could be more concrete than that, but there's a level of freedom and organic music making to the way data (I mostly deal in MIDI, mind you) exists in DP, that does not appear to in Logic. Generally speaking with Logic, it's as if a group of linear-sequential thinkers came together and tried to think in the abstract. It's only abstract to linear thinkers.

The only way I would find how Logic handles regions useful is if I were making phat beats.

Sorry, that was probably more of a rant than an answer to your question. :)
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Altauria wrote:
HobbyCore wrote: What is wrong with how it is implemented in Logic?
It's the overall hierarchy of 'objects'. The treatment of regions are very static and inflexible, as if it's forcing me to deal with buckets of objects that don't necessarily need to be organized; and yet, their arrange window does not communicate that same sense of rigidness. It's like building a brick wall in outer space. I feel like I'm a cook whose mise en place is in a lock-box, placed in separate corners of the kitchen.

To be sure I have actually asked Logic-users to explain the principles of their regions, and even explain how to simply select areas within time. The only answers I get are, at best, explained in terms of what Logic does while ignoring the original question, or at worst...myopic (same as the best I guess, ha).

I wish I could be more concrete than that, but there's a level of freedom and organic music making to the way data (I mostly deal in MIDI, mind you) exists in DP, that does not appear to in Logic. Generally speaking with Logic, it's as if a group of linear-sequential thinkers came together and tried to think in the abstract. It's only abstract to linear thinkers.

The only way I would find how Logic handles regions useful is if I were making phat beats.

+1
+1000!

While that may not explain what Logic does, it certainly describes the way I feel when I try to use it! Logic's tools are just too coarse for fine editing. That's where DP happens to excel. If I were owner of MOTU and had the money, I'd get the programmers together and go through it, adding dozens and dozens of features, and lots of small tweaks to existing ones to come up with what I might call the perfect DAW, but the next person might not agree. Still, if MOTU added even a dozen or two of the tweaks I want, I think many people would never complain again about DP. I know what frustrates me, and it's pretty similar to what frustrates everyone else. I just don't complain about it much, because there are usually ways to get around it, and rather than waste my time complaining about something that might scare off a prospective DP user (needlessly, I might add), it's easier to explain how to make it happen, even if it takes a few more moves than what we all would prefer. So, I try to show how you do things in DP, but DP is far from finished, in my opinion.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I haven't found anything officially released by MOTU... so I finally got around to posting my footage of it. It's rough and I skipped the details on MX4. Not everything is there, but most of it. Enjoy.

JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Shooshie wrote: While that may not explain what Logic does, it certainly describes the way I feel when I try to use it! Logic's tools are just too coarse for fine editing. That's where DP happens to excel. If I were owner of MOTU and had the money, I'd get the programmers together and go through it, adding dozens and dozens of features, and lots of small tweaks to existing ones to come up with what I might call the perfect DAW, but the next person might not agree. Still, if MOTU added even a dozen or two of the tweaks I want, I think many people would never complain again about DP. I know what frustrates me, and it's pretty similar to what frustrates everyone else. I just don't complain about it much, because there are usually ways to get around it, and rather than waste my time complaining about something that might scare off a prospective DP user (needlessly, I might add), it's easier to explain how to make it happen, even if it takes a few more moves than what we all would prefer. So, I try to show how you do things in DP, but DP is far from finished, in my opinion.

Shooshie
I agree, though I'm actually surprisingly likely to have a smaller list than most of you.
Almost everything I want in DP is improvements on what's already there. I would like it if you could load both AU and VST plug ins and have them be able to be recognized as either instead of Kontakt, Kontakt, in the plug in list for instance, but that's not a huge request. I would like to be able to select, glue and cut parsed sections in the Tracks Overview like Logic, Live etc. I do think this is the only area where it makes sense to have basically a little more object oriented MIDI. I wouldn't want it to interfere with the MIDI editor or the way MID is handled in the Sequence editor, that's actually IMO the part of Logic where it gets annoying, having to select both 'objects' in order to see them in the MIDI window... It should only be a function of the parsing in the Tracks Overview, another way to organize and move blocks of data, and it shouldn't interfere with the MIDI editing in other windows much the way phrase parsing doesn't now.

None of this IMO is as important as weird little improvements to the actual DAW elements though. I would like to be able to set up a key command for grid resolutions in TO, Se
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

James Steele wrote:I haven't found anything officially released by MOTU... so I finally got around to posting my footage of it. It's rough and I skipped the details on MX4. Not everything is there, but most of it. Enjoy.

I left my comments (perhaps way too many) here.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MikeInBoston

Post by MikeInBoston »

Thank you, James, for posting your video. I've been looking forward to seeing Dave's presentation.

Mike
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Yeah, thanks James. I think the one feature that I will like is the automation lanes. I've been wanting something like that but didn't know how they would implement it. We'll see how it fits into peoples work flows (once we get it). I think the tracks wizard is kind of cool too, but I don't know how much time it will actually save - more of a luxury than a necessity.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
HobbyCore

Post by HobbyCore »

Altauria wrote: As long as it's not executed in the manner of Logic Pro. I would have to find a different DAW, and I don't mean that in an exaggerated, reactionary, way.

I don't understand at all what 'how Logic handles regions' has to do with there being an optional absolute grid. I must really be missing something here.
HobbyCore

Post by HobbyCore »

Considering how much I loved their La2a emulation... the 1176 addition does seem very cool to me.

I'm also excited about automation lanes.

All things considered, it does look like an OK upgrade.. if they just fix a few minor things that people have bene whining about for years.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

And as long as some bugs in DP 8.07 are fixed!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Tesionman

Post by Tesionman »

Damn!! I hope there's an option to reduce the size of those panning knobs. I find them so unattractive! But thats just me. :brucelee:
Get Real Live Drum Tracks @ http://www.hugoribeiro.com

Macbook Pro | DP 10.13 | Motu 8Pre (x2) | Apogee Duet 2
Sonor Drums | Sabian Cymbals | Remo Drumheads | Vater Drumsticks
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Tesionman wrote:Damn!! I hope there's an option to reduce the size of those panning knobs. I find them so unattractive! But thats just me. :brucelee:
Should be able to just change the theme.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8