NAMM 2015: DP9

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
musicman691

Re: NAMM 2015: DP9

Post by musicman691 »

Morpheo wrote:

Well...also there's the fact that I-VI-IV-V has been kind of popular chord progession as of late :wink: The canon has each chord's dominant between them and the melody on the 5th, as BK does. I'd say all the songs that use I-VI-IV-V are potentially reminiscent of Pachelbel's :P
Yup. There's nothing precious about the chord progression; a lot of the perception is in the rhythm used.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

The Canon in D was easily the most famous classical work of that time period, and was played constantly on the radio, in concerts, and sometimes even on TV. The most famous recording of it was by the Jean François Paillard Chamber Orchestra. (and I didn't even have to look up the name or the spelling, even after 40 years) Those Record-of-the-Month clubs featured it. Musical Heritage Society sold it for a dollar if you signed up with them.
Yep. That's where I got my copy. That was THE recording to own. Still is. it was played everywhere in the '70s; there was no escaping it.

Somehow, I was able to escape that commercial, I heard about it, though, and saw it quoted in a Berkeley Breathed cartoon (Bloom County or Outland, I think) but I didn't know what burger chain it advertised nor the tune till I read this thread and found it on YouTube yesterday.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

Shooshie wrote:...If it's not a note-for-note quote, then I beg your fricking pardon,
Shoosh, consider yourself frickingly pardoned! :D
I'm going "white flag" on this one... :surrender:
not so much a surrender as an acknowledgment that this thread is turning in to a circular firing squad...
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I can hear the patterns and short bits of melody, but it doesn't sound like the canon to me. But now I've run through it so many times in my head I can't get rid of it. Woke up up at 5 this morning hearing it.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I guess you had to be there. Never mind.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

williemyers wrote:not so much a surrender as an acknowledgment that this thread is turning in to a circular firing squad...
Ha! Circular like a colon... I mean, the Canon.

IMHO, if someone blatantly rips something off, the original piece ought to be acknowledged, even in a spiralling thread such as this one. I mean, if I were the composer I'd be rolling in my grave if a bunch of Johnny-come-latelys rocked up and argued the merits of the "new" piece.

I s'pose what I'm saying is that personally I'd default to being on the side of the original author; the degree of "inspiration" being just that - a matter of degree, but the source thereof inescapable nevertheless, except through denial, which by definition never fails the perpetrator.
Michael Canavan wrote:
mikehalloran wrote: I didn't live in a house with a TV from 1973 till 1984.
when I first moved out on my own from 84 to 91 I watched hardly any TV.
People I know will talk about some show like it was relevant to our 'generation' and I have no idea what they're on about. :lol:
Can't resist sayin' I missed TV and movies from 1987 through to 2012, roughly 25 years. It wasn't 'til I put my MonkeyLabs Industries™ Infotunement Cesspit™ together (lappie+VLC and iTunes connected to my first TV bought in 2012), that I managed to start catching up on the most important stuff. During that first year I watched for the first time some episodes of Friends, all of Seinfeld, much of the Simpsons and so on. You should have seen the looks I got when I excitedly told folks (including retail staff as let's face it, I have no friends left after they all died, went crazy or abandoned me 'cause of my illness / inability to continue to party with them) how great "last night's" episode of Seinfeld was. Talk about being out of sync!

MOTU, please help us out here. It's getting to the point where folks are just sayin' stuff 'cause you're not. Give us something, oh Gods of MOTU, please! :banghead:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

bayswater wrote:I can hear the patterns and short bits of melody, but it doesn't sound like the canon to me. But now I've run through it so many times in my head I can't get rid of it. Woke up up at 5 this morning hearing it.
That's exactly the effect it had in the 70s, which is why the commercial created such a stir. Already we had the Canon in D in our heads. Then the commercial, which had a similar effect. When it became impossible to hear the music without "hold the pickles" going through your mind, it was hard to listen to it. At some point most people quit playing Pachelbel's Canon, because of over-saturation. Beautiful piece, but after a point, just too much.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Morpheo wrote:

Well...also there's the fact that I-VI-IV-V has been kind of popular chord progession as of late :wink: The canon has each chord's dominant between them and the melody on the 5th, as BK does. I'd say all the songs that use I-VI-IV-V are potentially reminiscent of Pachelbel's :P

On a side note, I was 2 years old back then, and never heard of that commercial before (I guess it was less popular in France than in the U.S :wink: ), watching it on youtube this morning was my first time :D

A few posts back, I said:
The jingle's tune is a literal quote for its first 8 beats. It uses a modern pop progression rather than the Canon's I-V-vi-iii-IV-I-IV-V progression
The melody is a quote; the chord progression is not. So, no, pop songs don't generally sound like Pachelbel's canon, though some do use that progression, of course. But that's a long progression for most pop songs built on 4-bar statement/response architecture.

that tune at "hold the pickles..."; that's the only quote. They used pop chords, not Pachelbel's. Then they turned the tune in the next bar and aimed it toward the dominant. So, no, the whole song isn't a quote. The chord progression isn't a quote. The tune is all. When I said "tune" I meant melody, not chord progression. Melody in A = Melody in B. That's demonstrable in the links. It's possible that someone who has lost their upper hearing range will not hear the strings playing that melody. I didn't consider that, but maybe that's why Jack and Willie don't hear it.

But this has turned into a forum fiasco, a-la-Gearslutz, with Willie and Jack denying the similarity in two virtually identical melodies. When people stop behaving rationally, there isn't much you can do, is there?
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

monkey man wrote:MOTU, please help us out here. It's getting to the point where folks are just sayin' stuff 'cause you're not.
Nailed it, MM.

Shoosh
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Shooshie wrote:
Morpheo wrote:

On a side note, I was 2 years old back then, and never heard of that commercial before (I guess it was less popular in France than in the U.S :wink: ), watching it on youtube this morning was my first time :D

A few posts back, I said:
The jingle's tune is a literal quote for its first 8 beats. It uses a modern pop progression rather than the Canon's I-V-vi-iii-IV-I-IV-V progression
The melody is a quote; the chord progression is not. So, no, pop songs don't generally sound like Pachelbel's canon, though some do use that progression, of course. But that's a long progression for most pop songs built on 4-bar statement/response architecture.

that tune at "hold the pickles..."; that's the only quote. They used pop chords, not Pachelbel's. Then they turned the tune in the next bar and aimed it toward the dominant. So, no, the whole song isn't a quote. The chord progression isn't a quote. The tune is all. When I said "tune" I meant melody, not chord progression. Melody in A = Melody in B. That's demonstrable in the links. It's possible that someone who has lost their upper hearing range will not hear the strings playing that melody. I didn't consider that, but maybe that's why Jack and Willie don't hear it.

But this has turned into a forum fiasco, a-la-Gearslutz, with Willie and Jack denying the similarity in two virtually identical melodies. When people stop behaving rationally, there isn't much you can do, is there?
I can hear strings quite well, thank you very little.

And by your very admission the jingle is not Canon in D but something that possibly sounds like it. You're picking at nits now to try and prove your point, and going on personal attacks at that. I suppose your hearing is perfect, no?
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

The full score is on IMSLP, but I can't get the link to post properly.

http://imslp.org/wiki/Canon_and_Gigue_i ... l,_Johann)
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

musicman691 wrote:And by your very admission the jingle is not Canon in D but something that possibly sounds like it. You're picking at nits now to try and prove your point, and going on personal attacks at that. I suppose your hearing is perfect, no?
Jack, this isn't my first rodeo. But this ended when I posted the links. You were lassoed and tied up in 8 beats. There is nothing left to say. Whatever you don't hear is your problem, not mine. Kindly let go of it.

Shooshie
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:
bayswater wrote:I can hear the patterns and short bits of melody, but it doesn't sound like the canon to me. But now I've run through it so many times in my head I can't get rid of it. Woke up up at 5 this morning hearing it.
That's exactly the effect it had in the 70s, which is why the commercial created such a stir. Already we had the Canon in D in our heads. Then the commercial, which had a similar effect. When it became impossible to hear the music without "hold the pickles" going through your mind, it was hard to listen to it. At some point most people quit playing Pachelbel's Canon, because of over-saturation. Beautiful piece, but after a point, just too much.

Shoosh
It happens to me a lot and sometimes with some pretty low brow stuff. I had Atlantis by the Shadows in my brain for weeks. In the end the only way to get rid of it was to record a cover with as close a match as possible. The dissection kills the worm.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

cuttime wrote:The full score is on IMSLP, but I can't get the link to post properly.

http://imslp.org/wiki/Canon_and_Gigue_i ... l,_Johann)
Me neither. This YouTube has the most common arrangement and scrolls the score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9lY-BoecwA
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Hold the theory and speculation,
These two works have some relation,
Although a point of some debation,
See it both ways.

Yes the chords are quite familiar,
The argument could not be sillier,
And this thread could not be chillier,
But, see it both ways.