NAMM 2015: DP9

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: NAMM 2015: DP9

Post by Phil O »

mikehalloran wrote:We'll just have to wait … and waitand wait!
In the mean time, we need more Batman stories.

Shooshie??
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Phil O wrote:

Shooshie??
Saw a preview yesterday of the new Batmobile and this thing looks even more beastly than in the Dark Knight series. But Ben Affleck as Batman? Seriously? :shake:
cuttime

Mmmm, Nice Dave!

Post by cuttime »

828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
musicman691

Re: Mmmm, Nice Dave!

Post by musicman691 »

And us mere mortals get to wait and wait and wait.........
James Steele
Site Administrator

NAMM 2015: DP9

Post by James Steele »

stubbsonic wrote:Does anyone have any idea if the spectrum display will allow for frequency domain editing? I.e., Will we be able to make time/frequency lasso selections and do things like compress or shift or gain change them?
Not sure what you mean. I think you can do a time range selection but when you say "frequency domain" do you really mean you could lasso just certain frequencies of the sound bite? If so, is that a realistic expectation?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Yea. I understand what you mean. I didn't mean in the sequence editor, I meant in the waveform edit window. And it would be something new, like not just a spectral display, but some other spectral DSP functions. As it is, just having a spectral display for the graphic editor will be useful, for sure.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

musicman691 wrote:
Phil O wrote:

Shooshie??
Saw a preview yesterday of the new Batmobile and this thing looks even more beastly than in the Dark Knight series. But Ben Affleck as Batman? Seriously? :shake:
Ben Affleck as Batman? THERE'S a story.

Let me guess; Gotham is now in New Jersey, but it's Gotham Bar & Grill in Bayonne?
Honestly, I don't think Batman could clean up Jersey! That's more an Incredible Hulk sort of task.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Then again... It'll be fun watching the Batmobile making a left turn on US Highway 1.

Robin: Holy Grover's Mill, Batfleckman! Princeton Junction is THATTAWAY!
Batfleckman: And thattaway is where we're going, Robin, if we ever get out of this roundabout!
Robin: Hurry, Batfleckman! The martians are getting away! This thing's going to send us to Piscataway!
Batfleckman: Robin! I think you solved it. The martians were trying to get to Piscataway, but they got trapped in the roundabout, and ended up in Princeton Junction! Confused, and a little bit dizzy, they crashed at Grover's Mill!
Robin: Holy Cranbury Road, Batfleckman! I think you're right. But what's in Piscataway?
Batfleckman: That would be MOTU's beta tester. He's the holdup in getting DP9 out the door. They probably wanted to... er... reason with him. I think our work is done, Robin. Let's go get a brewski.
Robin: But... Batfleckman... what about the martians?
Batfleckman: You're forgetting this is Jersey, Robin. Aliens have no immunity here. All we have to do is wait.
Robin: Wait? Wait for what?
Batfleckman: Sooner or later they'll step on a rusty nail or trip over an old railroad track. Then we just wait for biology to take 'em out.
Robin: Brilliant, Batfleckman! Let's head to Gotham Bar & Grill!
Batfleckman: We can't, Robin. It's on the left. The Jersey Batmobile can't turn left.
Robin: Well, if we can't go thattaway, let's go to Piscataway, and take that MOTU beta tester out for a brew. Maybe he just needs to relax a little.
Batfleckman: You read my mind, Robin. Read my mind. 'Jersey Batmobile, plot a course to state hwy 18.'
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

stubbsonic wrote:Yea. I understand what you mean. I didn't mean in the sequence editor, I meant in the waveform edit window. And it would be something new, like not just a spectral display, but some other spectral DSP functions. As it is, just having a spectral display for the graphic editor will be useful, for sure.
Oops... my bad! Misunderstood.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Shooshie wrote:Then again... It'll be fun watching the Batmobile making a left turn on US Highway 1.

Robin: Holy Grover's Mill, Batfleckman! Princeton Junction is THATTAWAY!
Batfleckman: And thattaway is where we're going, Robin, if we ever get out of this roundabout!
Robin: Hurry, Batfleckman! The martians are getting away! This thing's going to send us to Piscataway!
Batfleckman: Robin! I think you solved it. The martians were trying to get to Piscataway, but they got trapped in the roundabout, and ended up in Princeton Junction! Confused, and a little bit dizzy, they crashed at Grover's Mill!
Robin: Holy Cranbury Road, Batfleckman! I think you're right. But what's in Piscataway?
Batfleckman: That would be MOTU's beta tester. He's the holdup in getting DP9 out the door. They probably wanted to... er... reason with him. I think our work is done, Robin. Let's go get a brewski.
Robin: But... Batfleckman... what about the martians?
Batfleckman: You're forgetting this is Jersey, Robin. Aliens have no immunity here. All we have to do is wait.
Robin: Wait? Wait for what?
Batfleckman: Sooner or later they'll step on a rusty nail or trip over an old railroad track. Then we just wait for biology to take 'em out.
Robin: Brilliant, Batfleckman! Let's head to Gotham Bar & Grill!
Batfleckman: We can't, Robin. It's on the left. The Jersey Batmobile can't turn left.
Robin: Well, if we can't go thattaway, let's go to Piscataway, and take that MOTU beta tester out for a brew. Maybe he just needs to relax a little.
Batfleckman: You read my mind, Robin. Read my mind. 'Jersey Batmobile, plot a course to state hwy 18.'
This is good. And true too like you wouldn't believe. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Real-life story: Decades ago my day job was as an engineer at RCA Astro designing and building satellite command and control systems. Our facility was in the next town over from Grovers Mill. We used to joke that the guy that was in charge of RCA at the time was left there by the Martians.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Staying OT: they should move Batman to Austin Texas, since there are more bats (and bat caves) there than anywhere else in the US. :-)
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

musicman691 wrote: This is good. And true too like you wouldn't believe. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Real-life story: Decades ago my day job was as an engineer at RCA Astro designing and building satellite command and control systems. Our facility was in the next town over from Grovers Mill. We used to joke that the guy that was in charge of RCA at the time was left there by the Martians.
:lol: I thought you might like it!

Full disclosure: a dear friend of mine, a lady who is not only a great musician, but a fantastic composer and music director, used to live in Grovers Mill. I don't mean in the community around it; I mean IN the mill. The actual wheel gearing came up through the floor of her living room, and you could look out the window over the waterwheel's remains. I stayed there some with her and enjoyed absorbing the local culture, such as the roundabouts on Jersey roads where there simply aren't any left-turns, and the rusty, abandoned railroads like spider-webs through all those woods. Not far away was the sprawling RCA facility you mentioned, on the way into town at Princeton. (Princeton Junction is basically Princeton, but over at the ex-Pennsylvania RR station)

In seemingly most of Ben Affleck's movies, he plays a kid/adult from New Jersey. Seemed appropriate that his Batfleckman would be about the same thing, and, well, the martian thing was just there. For those who don't get the connection, Grover's Mill was ground-zero for the Martian attack in War of the Worlds.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

mhschmieder wrote:Staying OT: they should move Batman to Austin Texas, since there are more bats (and bat caves) there than anywhere else in the US. :-)

Yep, that's us. We Texans are a little batty. There's no denying it.
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

"Holy Buttzville, Batman, the Bat-Siri-GPS took a wrong turn in Hoboken and we ended up in Ho-Ho-Kus!"

Seriously, driving in NJ it totally Nutzville. These roller derby death spirals called "Traffic Circles," 60 mph miracle mile highways with traffic lights... To say nothing of government-sponsored bridge closings. The only good thing is you never have to pump your own gas! And they are trying to repeal that!!!

Babz

P.S. I believe Princeton Junction is actually in a town called West Windsor.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Yeah, that's what I'm talkin' bout. I love Shoosie's Batman stories.

Back on topic.
stubbsonic wrote:Does anyone have any idea if the spectrum display will allow for frequency domain editing?
Are you talking about the type of editing done in iZotope RX's spectral repair? That would be a MAJOR addition to DP.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.