NAMM 2015: DP9

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
groove
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: NAMM 2015: DP9

Post by groove »

csiaudio wrote:Just to be clear I do not hate DP by any means, if it were that bad I would have switched DAW's long ago. My issue is with this 'update' having really minimal innovative improvements and/or improved work flow over all. If I'm going to open up my wallet I want it to be worth while, and I just don't see it with DP9. I can only speculate the reason why they're going to include that other software with 9 is because they to realize without it they're not offering much to justify charging everyone $200 bucks for the 'update'. I'm sure for some the update will be well worth it and that's great for them - for me, I just don't see it.

Lanes will be a nice feature and personally I rarely use DP's plugin's since I feel UA's plugin's sound superior...so the few additional plugins they're adding don't rock my world. That's what Dave showed me - Lanes, the few new plugs and and told me that things were improved 'under the hood'. Personally I'm more than disappointed.
MOTU, just give me a pop-up box we can invoke that follows the cursor and shows the current relevant info, instead of having to watch a tiny info box in the upper left corner of the window. This pop-up info box should be available while editing MIDI notes, cc, audio events, automation, etc.

Otherwise, like csiaudio, I was pretty underwhelmed by the NAMM presentation and I really hope I'll be surprised when I'll upgraded.

---------
iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Xeon E5, 64GB ram OS X 10.15.7, UA Apollo 8 Quad + Satellite Quad, UA 2192, Waves V12, LASS Full, VSL, Korg MS-20, Elektron A4, Moog SlimPhatty, NI Komplete13, ROLI, Soundtoys 5, Arturia V Collection, GForce Oddity, Serum.
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

Robert Randolph wrote: There was controller learn too, XML notation output, spectral display. Those are all pretty big features to me... (I'm also looking forward to the 1176 emulation, as I really like the la2a emulation)
Ditto. Controller Learn especially I'm waiting for with baited breath, and I think it's going to make a bigger difference to workflow for VI users than many now realize.

Plus I'll be upgrading from 7.24. Some just know when It's time to pull the trigger. 8)
csiaudio
Location: Indiana; Where the corn is tall and the women are wide!

Post by csiaudio »

musicman691 wrote:You have to remember that no company rep will tell you everything that's going on in an update for many reasons. If they did that then if something didn't show up when the gold release comes out people would bitch & moan. Also they don't know that you're not a company spy trying to find out what's all in a competitor's product. Personally I like the thought of lanes.

I truly hope that is the case! But on the other hand IF they had something really cool and innovative you'd think they would be trumpeting it as in the past to get the 'buzz' happening for the update. Dave did mention that they are 'buttoning DP9 up' and it should be available in a few weeks...so I guess we'll soon see.
Capturing the Colors of Sound!

Mac Mini M1 2020 -- DP 11.2 -- Universal Audio Apollo Quad -- Apollo Twin -- SPL Kultube Compressor -- Slate Virtual Mic -- Eve SC207's w/KRK Sub
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Not to get anybody excited for no reason, but remember how many changes and features happened in DP7 with updates? Remember how underwhelming the initial feature set seemed to some?

Mostly I'm excited about the new MIDI features and the fact that adding in the spectral display tracks really does encourage them to add iZotope features in the future. IMO that will eventually happen, and we're just seeing the visual tip of that iceberg.

Lanes? they would have served us much better to have improved visibility in the MIDI automation, their track automation has always been very easy to use IMO.

New plug ins are always nice, but I'm kind of a wh*re when it come to plug ins, and I really appreciated the oddball ones in 8 a lot more, things it would be hard to shell out for. But who doesn't have a few old school compressor plug ins in their arsenal? Who doesn't have a few powerful soft synths?

Yes, the time stretch algorithm in DP is old, I always use Live for that, 5 settings including a processor heavy complex/pro setting or two. DP could use that. The whole clunkiness of the audio editor in DP is a weak point IMO, everything about it should be improved.

Mostly I would like to know beforehand which workflow improvements are in the upgrade. Like a lot of people I would mostly like things that can't be solved by third party, so improvements to core features over new stuff.

Over all, I think MOTU miss one core thing I believe to be true about DP, that it's not going to be the first DAW a kid today buys, it's going to be the one they move to from DAW XYZ, and with that in mind concentrating on making what it has amazing would be the direction I would go in.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

csiaudio wrote:
musicman691 wrote:You have to remember that no company rep will tell you everything that's going on in an update for many reasons. If they did that then if something didn't show up when the gold release comes out people would bitch & moan. Also they don't know that you're not a company spy trying to find out what's all in a competitor's product. Personally I like the thought of lanes.

I truly hope that is the case! But on the other hand IF they had something really cool and innovative you'd think they would be trumpeting it as in the past to get the 'buzz' happening for the update. Dave did mention that they are 'buttoning DP9 up' and it should be available in a few weeks...so I guess we'll soon see.
I just hope the window that I'm in for getting the free upgrade doesn't close; DP people have said that I'm within it when I purchased DP8 back in April. It should be okay but as my wife says there are times I worry too much about things :)

I'd rather see MOTU take the time to do it proper and not rush DP9 out and have show-stopping bugs. That and the air conditioning in my studio is barely keeping up with things right now and it ain't even summer yet. One long wall of my studio is south facing right next to the sidewalk.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

It's inthemint...

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I just hope the window that I'm in for getting the free upgrade doesn't close; DP people have said that I'm within it when I purchased DP8 back in April.
That window generally opens the day they announce at Winter NAMM and closes when your copy of DP 9 ships.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

mikehalloran wrote:
I just hope the window that I'm in for getting the free upgrade doesn't close; DP people have said that I'm within it when I purchased DP8 back in April.
That window generally opens the day they announce at Winter NAMM and closes when your copy of DP 9 ships.
Thanks for the info. Not all companies are that good.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Yessirr Jack!

... and few companies are MOTU.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here