NAMM 2015: DP9

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Basstrup
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: NAMM 2015: DP9

Post by Basstrup »

Not to spoil the educating theme on Burger Kink, but....

I'd definitely would like to see VCA (group faders). I am very happy to welcome the features that was shown at NAMM. What I didn't see but have been advocating, but who knows if it's there in DP9

• Markers Sets being able to have sets or layer of markers that can be turned on/off depending on focus of work. E.g. having one set of markers for song structure, another set for vocal edits and so on.

• Show all tracks of a certain type - and have a sidebar panel - like the track selector - where you can Show All tracks - Audio Only - Aux only - MIDI Only - Instruments Only - Group Faders Only or any combination by shift-clicking

• Being able to name a bus by shift-clicking in the insert in the mixer channel, instead of having to go to the bundles window

• Being able to move a selected or group of selected track into a previous trackfolder in submenu

just small things that would make my life easier :D

Analog is great... We got both WOW and Flutter - what's your bias?
MOTU: DP9 - 2 x MachV - 2 x MX4 - 2 x 1296 - 2 x 896HD - 1 x UltraLite AVB - 1 x MOTU Monitor 8 - 1 x 24i - 3 x MTP AV | UA Apollo Quad | UA Arrow | SSL 2+ || Digi 002Rack | Mackie control + expanders | UAD-2 PCIe card | 2 x Mac Pro | Mac Mini Late 2018 | OS X 10.14.6
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Shooshie wrote:
musicman691 wrote:And by your very admission the jingle is not Canon in D but something that possibly sounds like it. You're picking at nits now to try and prove your point, and going on personal attacks at that. I suppose your hearing is perfect, no?
Jack, this isn't my first rodeo. But this ended when I posted the links. You were lassoed and tied up in 8 beats. There is nothing left to say. Whatever you don't hear is your problem, not mine. Kindly let go of it.

Shooshie
Yeah well I should know better than to try and argue with someone who thinks they know it all. I'm outta here until DP9 comes along.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

musicman691 wrote:Yeah well I should know better than to try and argue with someone who thinks they know it all. I'm outta here until DP9 comes along.
It's rare that I'm at a loss for words, but in this case, well...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you engage in a debate recently about behaviour on this forum, Jack? IMHO, your input in the following thread practically rendered it a MOTUNation classic:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 1&start=45
musicman691 wrote:It's just that if anyone posts anything even slightly critical about DP you can expect get the reaction you did. Or worse.
musicman691 wrote:And as far as getting non-public info about DP9 you'll not get anything serious from anyone here. Maybe a round of derision for asking the question but that's about it.
Your advice:
musicman691 wrote:If what I write is beating a dead horse - that's your opinion and you're welcome to it and don't take it badly if I disagree with it.
... You mean, such as the disagreement you've just had, Jack? By "take it badly" do you mean things like abruptly and tactlessly exiting the forum for a hiatus, leaving a bad taste in our mouths with your parting "comments"?

Help us understand, mate, please.
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Hold the theory and speculation,
These two works have some relation,
Although a point of some debation,
See it both ways.

Yes the chords are quite familiar,
The argument could not be sillier,
And this thread could not be chillier,
But, see it both ways.

Have it your way,
It's by Pachelbel.

Have it your way,
The whole thing smells.

Have it both ways,
The chords are the same.

And the topic...
Is NOT Burger King.

(You want fries with that?)

© 2015 Mortilla Keep'a you hands off!
Brilliant, Magilla. :lol:
Basstrup wrote:Not to spoil the educating theme on Burger Kink, but....
No danger there, bud; it's priceless!
Basstrup wrote:Markers Sets being able to have sets or layer of markers that can be turned on/off depending on focus of work. E.g. having one set of markers for song structure, another set for vocal edits and so on.
Brilliant.
Basstrup wrote:Show all tracks of a certain type - and have a sidebar panel - like the track selector - where you can Show All tracks - Audio Only - Aux only - MIDI Only - Instruments Only - Group Faders Only or any combination by shift-clicking
I love this, and have been assuming for years the option would inevitably appear as it's so basic and a no-brainer IMHO. I've always created my own sets, most of which are specified exactly in these ways, but usually give up on updating them as one has to do as tracks / channels are added or removed. I say "removed" 'cause I suspect these sets are "smart" in that if one reintroduces tracks to a project, if named and configured the same way as previously-deleted ones, the MB-Layout presets proceed to include them once again. Not always what you want.

At any rate, this simple set of filters (or similar) would be welcomed by many here, including myself. This one's super-important to me; I seriously need this!
Basstrup wrote:Being able to name a bus by shift-clicking in the insert in the mixer channel, instead of having to go to the bundles window
Yup. That'd be a big time-saver, and in so being would actually encourage project "neatness" and readability as less renaming would be "put off" due to the inconvenience factor.
Basstrup wrote:Being able to move a selected or group of selected track into a previous trackfolder in submenu.
Whilst there is a set of key commands for moving tracks and groups thereof, I always seem to forget them, so a more comprehensive set of choices' being embedded in a menu would be just the ticket IMHO. Lots of time is wasted with this stuff, to the point that I often wish I could just select a bunch of tracks with the mouse and drag 'em to where I'd like 'em. That seems like a no-brainer to me... for 1998...

Basstrup, thank you for all your suggestions. Practical time-savers. I loved 'em!

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

. musicman691 wrote:
Yeah well I should know better than to try and argue with someone who thinks they know it all...
Interesting how so many of us feel the same way.
.musicman691 wrote:
...I'm outta here until DP9 comes along.
Well, this isn't BK but sometimes, you can "Have It Your Way". Remember, it's your choice.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Basstrup wrote:Not to spoil the educating theme on Burger Kink, but....

I'd definitely would like to see VCA (group faders). I am very happy to welcome the features that was shown at NAMM. What I didn't see but have been advocating, but who knows if it's there in DP9

• Markers Sets being able to have sets or layer of markers that can be turned on/off depending on focus of work. E.g. having one set of markers for song structure, another set for vocal edits and so on.

• Show all tracks of a certain type - and have a sidebar panel - like the track selector - where you can Show All tracks - Audio Only - Aux only - MIDI Only - Instruments Only - Group Faders Only or any combination by shift-clicking

• Being able to name a bus by shift-clicking in the insert in the mixer channel, instead of having to go to the bundles window

• Being able to move a selected or group of selected track into a previous trackfolder in submenu

just small things that would make my life easier :D

Good suggestions. If I were you, I'd send this to the MOTU suggestion box.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

To all:
I say what I mean and mean what I say and I'm as honest as the day is long. If I believe someone is trying to act as they know it all without even considering the other's viewpoint then I'll call them on it. If I'm wrong on something I'll admit it but at the same time I expect that someone else that joins in the conversation to admit that they may well be wrong as well. But when they come up high and mighty and that their pooh don't stink and that they are infallible then the Jersey Boy in me comes out and I guess some don't like that but hey - that's the way I was raised. And it's kept me safe and alive lo these 63+ years on this third rock from the Sun.

Then again I guess some don't like a good argument and would have it as a Monty Python skit instead.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Such a waste of energy.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

To be honest AFA the Burger King lift. I can hear the connection, but because the context is so different, and the phrase isn't exactly the same I would have never made the comparison if someone hadn't pointed it out.

Basically, you're both "right", and like a lot of internet arguments it's got no real ending... :surrender:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Michael Canavan

MOTU you need to release DP9 ASAP! we're losing it here. :brucelee: :shake: :oops: :deadhorse:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

Michael Canavan wrote: Basically, you're both "right", and like a lot of internet arguments it's got no real ending... :surrender:
Mostly because it's 2 people arguing 2 only vaguely similar things in the same argument.

I can't wait till we can be arguing about DP9's new features installed on our computers instead.
Michael Canavan

Robert Randolph wrote:
Michael Canavan wrote: Basically, you're both "right", and like a lot of internet arguments it's got no real ending... :surrender:
Mostly because it's 2 people arguing 2 only vaguely similar things in the same argument.

I can't wait till we can be arguing about DP9's new features installed on our computers instead.
You know of course we'll be arguing about X feature that didn't get implemented when Y feature is useless! and someone will come back with how Y feature is great, but they wished it had been implemented how they see it in their head. :lol:

First time in a while that I'll upgrade as soon as they allow it. Usually I wait until people are reporting that it's all good.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Michael Canavan wrote: First time in a while that I'll upgrade as soon as they allow it. Usually I wait until people are reporting that it's all good.
Me too, as long as I can run V8 on the same partition to finish up some stuff. I have great expectations, and have stopped looking at other audio plugins and apps until I've seen what I can so with 9.

(And thanks for the efforts to get this thread to "move on")
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:
Michael Canavan wrote: First time in a while that I'll upgrade as soon as they allow it. Usually I wait until people are reporting that it's all good.
Me too, as long as I can run V8 on the same partition to finish up some stuff. I have great expectations, and have stopped looking at other audio plugins and apps until I've seen what I can so with 9.
Agreed. I had DP 5.13, 6.03, 7.01, 7.12, 7.24 8.01 and 8.04 all running on the same drive in Mavericks so I'm fairly confident that 9 won't upset the apple cart in that regard.

After I got 7.24 and 8.05 opening all my old files, it was time for major housecleaning.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

That's gotta be some sort of record, Mike. 7 versions at once! Awesome.
You mean, like the Never Ending Threa... I mean, Story? We'd need an unend... I mean, never-ending supply of popcorn and for MOTU to delay indefinitely, but it could be done. IMHO. YMMV.
bayswater wrote:
... and I too. Can't wait. High hopes here.
bayswater wrote:(And thanks for the efforts to get this thread to "move on")
As entertaining a distraction as it was, I concur. Thank you Michael.

Now, how 'bout them ____? (fill space with controversial / successful football / baseball / basketball team... or Eurovision)
Michael Canavan wrote:MOTU you need to release DP9 ASAP! we're losing it here. :brucelee: :shake: :oops: :deadhorse:
I realised that when I typed the Eurovision option. Mate, I need help!

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Michael Canavan wrote:First time in a while that I'll upgrade as soon as they allow it. Usually I wait until people are reporting that it's all good.
What's different about 9 that makes you lean this way? Just curious.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.