External Bus Compressor Routing question

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
claude
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

External Bus Compressor Routing question

Post by claude »

Hi guys,

i recently invested in a nice LaChapell pre-amp and a Dual Vandergraph Compressor from Shadow Hills. I've been very happy with these great pieces of gear for recording vocals and acoustic instruments.

My Shadow Hills Stereo compressor sounds so good that i'm starting to think it would be great to use it as a master bus compressor. Being a bit thick in the engineering department i was wondering if anybody here has a good routing method to share with us. Or maybe point to some online tutorials...

The tricky part is, how do you send your mix to the external compressor and monitor the changes in realtime, and then when your satisfied with your mix, record the result in DP.

TIA

Claude

DP 8.07
Metric Halo MIO 2882 audio interface
EMRR

Re: External Bus Compressor Routing question

Post by EMRR »

Route out to comp, back in to new stereo master record channel, monitor that input channel.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
claude

Post by claude »

Hi EMRR,

thanks for the reply. Routing is the key word here.

What would be the typical routing to achieve something like this without feedback loops etc...

Thanks!

Claude
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

If you do exactly what EMRR suggested, you will not create a feedback loop.
Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
claude

Post by claude »

Hi guys,

told you i was thick! ; )

If i understand i have to route the outs of each track to bus 3-4 for ex., set up an aux track with bus 3-4 as the input. Send the out of this Aux track to the external comp etc...

The thing is, the Shadow Hill does not have a bypass switch and just turning off the compression still colours the sound, so for A/B ing what should i do?

Thanks again!

Claude