Question DP memory use> (Running out of memory)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
toodamnhip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Question DP memory use> (Running out of memory)

Post by toodamnhip »

I have a rather large file that is choking with the audio intermittently cutting out due to memory somehow maxing out.
But looking at Activity Monitor, I don;t quite understand WHY DP is choking?

** I have 24 gig of RAM and 14 gig is still free.
**I have an 8core Mac and it shows system memory having 66% available, with DP using 3.69 gig of “real memory”.
** I am running about 8 VIs from an SSD drive, and running lots of waves and Slate plugs.

So somewhere, DP is choking and not seeming to utilize all the memory I have.

I must missing something about the way DP uses memory or raw computer power. But from what Activity Monitor shows me, I have room to spare. Of course, the DP processing bar is in the red big time but why when there is so much system memory left unused?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
monkey man

Re: Question DP memory use> (Running out of memory)

Post by monkey man »

Hey there, Hipster. Hope you're good mate.

Just thought I'd mention that of the few occasions I've fired DP up over the past few years, a couple of them resulted in the app grinding to a halt with no memory available to even click anything. I responded to the warning messages by closing windows and quitting background apps but with each move it'd edge closer to a freeze, eventually getting there. I had no VIs running (or even installed), the projects being MIDI only (with audio tracks empty but the audio engine active). Ridiculous. I can't remember any more detail other than the fact that there was a folder somewhere that filled up with hundreds of entries regarding virtual RAM. I lost a few ideas as I'd only fired DP up in order to record basic MIDI ideas in the form of bass and key tracks. She wouldn't even allow me to save the damned things. Bummer.

Seemed to correct itself and (I assume) is no longer an issue as I ran DP 3 or 4 months ago and it was fine. If I'd been "on the forum" I'd surely have asked about it. It appeared to be some sort of DP-handling-RAM issue so I thought I'd mention it.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Are you running everything 64bit? Oh, I see in the other thread that you are.

If you dont feel the need to update the OS, get familiar with the purge command I mentioned in the other thread.

Why is this now two threads?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

mikehalloran wrote:Are you running everything 64bit? Oh, I see in the other thread that you are.

If you dont feel the need to update the OS, get familiar with the purge command I mentioned in the other thread.

Why is this now two threads?
2 threads because this is now NOT about VIs holding onto memory. This is about computer showing DP has plenty of memory and DP NOT using available computer juice, instead, DP chokes and shows itself in the red. This says some sort of inefficiency with Dp’s use of cores? I don;t know, but it is NOT about stuck memory, but instead, a lack of utilization of available memory.
I cannot use developer tools until I update OS.
If it is me being on 10.6.8. then I’d love it if MOTU would state something about older OS’s being inefficient with core use. As of now, MOTU states I am running a system that should work. The big difference in this new look at DP’s efficiency is that I really watched Activity Monitor at various stages to see how ram and computer power were running while DP choked. Again, am I missing something about WHERE Dp chokes on computer power? If DP is using all my comp power, the computer itself seems to be unaware of it. But Dp shows itself to be in the red. There is clearly a mis match here.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

monkey man wrote:Hey there, Hipster. Hope you're good mate.

Just thought I'd mention that of the few occasions I've fired DP up over the past few years, a couple of them resulted in the app grinding to a halt with no memory available to even click anything. I responded to the warning messages by closing windows and quitting background apps but with each move it'd edge closer to a freeze, eventually getting there. I had no VIs running (or even installed), the projects being MIDI only (with audio tracks empty but the audio engine active). Ridiculous. I can't remember any more detail other than the fact that there was a folder somewhere that filled up with hundreds of entries regarding virtual RAM. I lost a few ideas as I'd only fired DP up in order to record basic MIDI ideas in the form of bass and key tracks. She wouldn't even allow me to save the damned things. Bummer.

Seemed to correct itself and (I assume) is no longer an issue as I ran DP 3 or 4 months ago and it was fine. If I'd been "on the forum" I'd surely have asked about it. It appeared to be some sort of DP-handling-RAM issue so I thought I'd mention it.
I’m glad my DP problems weren't as bad as that mate.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Lucky you, dude.

Still yours (the one in this thread) reminded me of it. The system (Finder etc and other apps) were fine, and there was plenty of RAM on hand, but just not to DP. It was definitely running in 64bit mode.

IIRC I was running 10.6.8 at the time, and was using a 3rd party app to ensure that the Mac always booted into 64bit. Wonder if you've done anything like that. I'll just have a look see if I can find the name of the utility...

It was SixtyFourSwitcher v1.2 for 10.6.x

Seemed to do the job just fine, but who knows, perhaps DP didn't like it?

toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

monkey man wrote:Lucky you, dude.

Still yours (the one in this thread) reminded me of it. The system (Finder etc and other apps) were fine, and there was plenty of RAM on hand, but just not to DP. It was definitely running in 64bit mode.

IIRC I was running 10.6.8 at the time, and was using a 3rd party app to ensure that the Mac always booted into 64bit. Wonder if you've done anything like that. I'll just have a look see if I can find the name of the utility...

It was SixtyFourSwitcher v1.2 for 10.6.x

Seemed to do the job just fine, but who knows, perhaps DP didn't like it?
Yeah, I have that program and it always says I am in 64 bit boot. I never have to mess with it actually. Always 64.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

I must say I've gotten a chuckle from reading each of lucygp's three bot-style stabs at saying something relevant. :lol:

Hipster, I've since remembered that my first response in each case to DP's "memory running low" warning was to disable (even 'though it wasn't being used) the audio engine. Then it was closing the MIDI edit window, followed my the mixer, closing all folders, quitting other apps, and then... FAIL!

New-fangled awesome song idea gooone! :shock: