From PT to DP 8

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: From PT to DP 8

Post by mikehalloran »

You may want to consider a separate notation program that easily exports MIDI files. I use Finale, not because I think it's the best but because it's what I started with and got used to it. Others here more into composing may have better suggestions.
I have three notation programs.

For import from MIDI and export to, I prefer Encore over Finale. It is also very good for 'down & dirty' notation tasks like lead sheets, simpler choral charts, worship ensemble etc. My wife and I both used it for those tasks. It also has a small footprint, is easy to install and its bugs generally have workarounds.
http://www.passportmusic.com/products/encore/

All music software has bugs.

As a pure notation program, Encore doesn't really hold a candle to Finale's functionality (or learning curve). Finale is much better and capable of heavy lifting that cannot be done in Encore. Finale's bugs can sometimes make it unusable – the current build is pretty good.
http://www.finalemusic.com/

Both have cross-grade pricing from each other and from nearly any other professional notation program out there.

SmartScore X2 Pro is a notation program but most use it to scan sheet music for export as Music XML to Finale (it has limited functionality with Encore or Sibelius). I have never explored it beyond that and know nothing of its MIDI functionality except that it can import/export to MIDI. Musitek really needs to rewrite the manual for use on Macs beyond OS 10.5 but, if you know about the Image Capture.app in your Applications Folder (part of OS 10.6 and later), it works very well with any scanner including wireless (Image Capture.app supports wireless scanning in OS 10.8.2 and later).
http://www.musitek.com/store/SSX2Pro.html

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH17894
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

JCDC wrote:Thanks for replying! I do not really understand what the last posts have to do with my question, but I appreciate taking the time to post.
My apologies if I confused you. You made the statement that Logic makes everything easy, which is something to which I've responded many, many times in this forum. I just decided to approach it a different way. The birdhouse story was an analogy. DP feels like a shop full of tools, benches, and all the things you need to build anything you want. Logic —in my opinion, of course— feels like a robot programmed to write music in the style you tell it to. In the end, is it really your music? And what happens when you want to get really creative in Logic? I know people do it all the time, but I worked with Logic for a whole year, alongside DP, back in about 2007 or so. It was Logic Studio 8. I committed to reading the manual, asking questions to Logic users, and finding people who know Logic so that I could get direct advice about it. I did all those things, and what I learned was that for what I do, Digital Performer is a FAR superior app. People kept telling me about these great features for the things I was asking to do, and I'd study, post questions, search every dialog and menu in the app, and work with it for days on end, but I never found what I was looking for. It turned out that those "great" features were really what I was looking at. I was expecting far more than what was there. The people who told me how great they were really didn't understand where the bar had been set by Digital Performer. It's like Logic had been winning competitions at local gymnastics meets, but then when it goes to the Olympics, it finds out that Digital Performer is competing at a whole different level which many Logic users have never imagined.

THAT was my experience of a year with Logic. The only things that were easy to do with Logic were things that I wouldn't want to do, anyway. I ended up erasing it from my hard drive. It was a huge disappointment to me, because I really had hoped there was something as good as DP that I could have in case MOTU dropped DP. For some reason, we had all gotten concerned at the time, but nothing could have been further from reality. DP isn't going away, and it's stronger than ever.

I might as well check the Logic Forum and put the same question there, but I will for shure cut down the amounts of words. Here it was too may from my side, sorry about that. Thanks.
Well, you never know. There are people who really click with Logic. I don't understand that, and they probably don't understand why I like DP so much, but that's how the world works. Power to them! I hope you find what you're looking for.

I taught music for over a decade before I started using a Macintosh (1984), and DP (1986). I obtained two degrees from North Texas, and taught dozens of sax students there. I used to write out musical examples for my students, and I always wished there were some way to do that efficiently, even to play orchestral examples for students. Ironically, I went fully professional after that, so I never really got to use the computers for teaching, but I've made countless examples for other purposes. DP has facilitated everything I've wanted to do. It's fast and easy when you learn the tricks.

Foremost among the tricks for me is Recycling Files. Once I get a template set up the way I want it, I'll recycle elements of it. You can do that with custom templates — make your own — but there have been times when templates caused problems in DP, so I stopped using them probably 15 years ago. Others use them regularly; there's nothing wrong with that. But there are several ways to recycle your work:
  • • Templates
    • Clippings (anything that can be selected can be stored in a Clippings file for use in any other project.
    • Dragging chunks to the Finder and dragging them back to the Tracks Overview in another project
    • Opening an existing project and saving it as something else, with its own project folder.
I use the latter method pretty much every time I start a project. That way my tracks and I/O are already set up, ready to go, even with some of the plugins I know I will ultimately be using. It may sound crude, but that doesn't bother me. I've been doing that forever. I also use the other methods, but not nearly as much as this.

One of the biggest aids to finding what you need to know is having a group which can help you. This is one of the best online groups on the internet. Your questions get answered here, fast. If your first attempt was not very satisfactory, it's because we get the "I use PT. Is DP like PT?" probably once or twice a week, and sometimes we just do a better job of answering than other times.

The more we know about you, the better we can answer your questions, so don't think you need to say less. Always give details. Put your system, software, and hardware, including versions, in your signature so that we can look and see what you're using. That helps us to answer your questions.

Use whatever works for you. If you choose DP, we're happy to help. For many, if not most operations, there are multiple ways to do things, so just because you don't like one person's approach doesn't mean you won't like DP. There are usually other approaches. The fact that you are a trained musician gives you a head-start. Historically, I think a higher percentage of DP users have been trained musicians. That doesn't mean that others won't be as successful at it; that's not my point of comparison. What it means to me is that DP is made to work the way musicians naturally think. It's just more attractive to that kind of mind. Of course, any time you compare, you invite a whole debate about all the exceptions to any stereotype, so I'm not sure it does any good to say it. That's just been my opinion since the early 1990s, when I first became aware of all the other DAW users out there, and began to learn how other people worked, what they liked and didn't like, and so forth. The DP users of that time tended to be trained musicians and composers.

Good luck, and let us know if you need specific help.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

JCDC wrote:... I do not really understand what the last posts have to do with my question
Perhaps you missed the overall point Shooshie and I made. DP allows you to work the way you need to; it doesn't "force" you to do things its way. Rather, it allows you to fit it into the way you want to work. Others here would be better able to explain in detail aspects of the app as examples of this, I'm sure (to use Chunks (perhaps for non-linear song construction) and V-Racks vs conventional in-channel VI placement spring immediately to mind), but the jist of it is that one can take different approaches in using it, whereas, say, Logic is less flexible this way, and Live might as well be Garage Band IMHO.
JCDC wrote:As written I struggled with Pro Tools for many years to be able to get it to fit into my hands, and still do.
This is precisely what our posts had to do with your question.

I understand that you prefer the "walk through" method in tutorials. TBH, I do too, but if you absorb as many aspects of the app as you can, you'll start to experience revelations / "light-bulb moments" where you slap your forehead and think, "Wow, I can do that?, or, more to the point, I can do it that way?". Herein lies a principle beauty of DP.
JCDC wrote:I don´t understand some of the suggestions in earlier posts, besides that to sweat etc is the way. Sure, but to randomly sweat with a program that has been developed for so many years, trying to figure out the way to use it only this way is not what I have time for (or never really liked even though this seems to be the way for many these days).
"The way"? There is no, "The way". Find your way and you'll be as happy as a pig in gravy. As stated, and at the risk of sounding redundant, it's not about trying to use it the way others do; you'll find your way if you hang in there.
JCDC wrote:... I will for shure cut down the amounts of words. Here it was too may from my side, sorry about that. Thanks.
Not at all, brother. Some of us here are quite verbose (guilty!); it comes with the territory if one intends to clearly state something in any sort of detail, I reckon. Unless your name's Tim (forum joke).

EDIT: I just noticed that there's a 2nd page of the thread; I'd not read it, obviously, but I'll leave my post "as is" nevertheless.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
JCDC

Post by JCDC »

Hi all!
Thanks Mike for the info regarding notation software. I´m very much interested in this and I have Sibelius 6. I´m still trying to figure out how to rewire DP and Sibelius, to be able to se also a big score at the same time while I´m sequencing. I´m actually an old school guy, have always used paper and pen before and still do (anciet I suppose..). But to actually see the notes on a score means much to me when sequencing. Maybe QuickScribe in DP will work as well for the time being, I have started to check it out more. As mentioned I´m a very new (demo) user on DP and still trying to figure out if this is the right DAW for me regarding creative work (it also has to do with how much time I can spend to learn a new DAW in my daily scheduale, now at last being quite proficient in Pro Tools - but it took a very long time for me..). I will for sure check out the programs you mentioned. Thanks a lot!

Thanks Shooshie and Monkey Man! Please forgive me to get back to both of you at the same time. You answered my posts differently but there are a lot of similarities and I try to reply to both.

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer me so throughly and sincere (and I learned a lot), thanks again! I almost thought that I had started my membership in this community totally wrong, because of my very sponanious thoughts and writing them down (and some stuff were not so good written for sure, but I definitely did not want to insult anyone, not Eli or anyone else).
In short, I will go for DP (besides keeping my chops up in Pro Tools). I had this feeling erlier, but it made me very happy to get both of your answers (even though Monkey Man did not see Shooshie´s post earlier).
I realize now that I have not to much to say at the moment. I´ve been given a lot of answers to my thoughts and questions from you that I need to digest a bit.

I´m anyhow very happy to be a part of this Community and that you gave me some patients.

I´ll go on from here and hope to be in touch with you further on in this forum. I´m very much looking forward to that. Meanwhile I´m now getting my brain and body to try to figure out DP step by step and within some time be able to do some creative things when I get that far. You have been very encouraging, thank you very much!
/JC
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Awesome! It's a pleasure to be able to help in some small way, JCDC.
JCDC wrote:... I'm anyhow very happy... that you gave me some patients
You want patients? Maaate, I could line up a dozen Unicorns for you for a minimal fee; they're easy to catch (I bait 'em with worlds like "RAM" and "snappy"), and they're scatter-brained... I mean, scattered all over this here paddock.

Not sure which modalities you're proficient in, but these puppies generally require intensive psychotherapy. NLP, ECT and Ritalin might be your first point of call, but for some a serious preliminary detox should be just the ticket... :lol:

Seriously though, why not, and this is what I did, work your way through a typical project from scratch and look up what you need to know as you go. For me this translates to browsing the menus and clicking options 'till DP does what I need it to do; the manual's fantastic... fantastically huge and comprehensive, but in most cases, thanks to DP's logical approach, you should be able to figure things out just by checking out what the app has to offer in its various menus. It's the "lazy" way, but also the most practical IMHO.

I hope you can follow my rather verbose, if not exacting style of delivery OK, JC; I can't imagine trying to comprehend the forum if English weren't my first language. I reckon you've done pretty well so far. Apologies if English is your first language.

Lastly, good luck mate! Hang in there. Explore, learn and have fun. It will surely all fall into place for you - I'd stake my share in Jungleville Swamp Holdings™ on it, bro'.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

monkey man wrote:You want patients? Maaate, I could line up a dozen Unicorns for you for a minimal fee; they're easy to catch (I bait 'em with worlds like "RAM" and "snappy"), and they're scatter-brained... I mean, scattered all over this here paddock.
I've said it before. You should be paid (a lot) for writing.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Corrr... that's high praise indeed coming from a genius, Stoivo.

You're far too kind, mate, but you have made my day. :D

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Thanks Mike for the info regarding notation software. I´m very much interested in this and I have Sibelius 6
Yesterday's DP 9 demo mentions new support for Music XML. Export is mentioned but, other than that, there are no details.

All the apps I mentioned support Music XML to some degree. Finale owns it, SmartScore X2 supports the full implementation. Encore and Sibelius to lesser degrees.

No one yet knows outside of MOTU to what degree Music XML will be integrated. I would like to see import/export with lyrics and expressions, of course. We'll see...
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Well, the lucky thing is that the main MusicXML guy is (or was) a forum member (and, for me, a former co-worker from way back and even a former bandmate), so he knows DP quite well. That should help with any collaboration involved in getting the implementation into DP9.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH