Using Motu Traveler as standalone, in use with Apollo Twin

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
berlinpigeon
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Using Motu Traveler as standalone, in use with Apollo Twin

Post by berlinpigeon »

Hey everyone!

Many hrs later and I wasn't able to figure out. Here is the problem. I am now using a UAD Apollo Twin as my main sound device. I wanted to connect my Motu Traveler mk3 and connect it via Optical cable to my Apollo, so I can use the preamps of my Motu in connection with my Apollo Interface. I am failing in getting the signal out of the Traveler and into the Apollo (virtual) Console. I should be able to get 8 individual signals in 48kHz right?

Did anyone try this and got it to work? Any help is as always very appreciated!

Many thanks!
mikehalloran

Re: Using Motu Traveler as standalone, in use with Apollo Tw

Post by mikehalloran »

Does the Apollo support ADAT in!
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
berlinpigeon

Post by berlinpigeon »

Hi Mike! Thanks for your answer! Yes it does. I just spoke to Tech support. I have to first install the outputs via firewire on cue mix. Apparently it is really difficult to do it in stand alone mode. I will try it tomorrow with my laptop and see if it works. The 8 pre is sending the signal automatically to the ADAT ports. Not so the traveller. I will update tomorrow. Best! C
berlinpigeon

Post by berlinpigeon »

In the end it was quite easy. The only thing to keep in mind is, when the Traveler is in stand alone mode, you will have to set it up with another computer, im oder to access Cuemix. This is the setting in the UAD. Clock source has to be set on ADAT: http://postimg.org/image/edc42ffxx/

This is the setting in CUEMIX: http://postimg.org/image/7o5avj90l/

Make sure to put the bus on ADAT 1-2, and then you can use the mono input independently when you put for example Analog 1 to left and Analog 2 to right.
Sidharth123
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Sidharth123 »

I'm trying to do the same with the Apollo Duo. Do you have to only set it once on a different machine so the routing is in place or do you need to access Cuemix from time to time? I'm guessing you can reach out to your front panel of the Traveler for basic pre-amp features like gain, phantom power and pad once the ADAT out is configured properly and apply compression, eq etc on the console app.

How stable is the clocking when changing the sample rate? Any glitches?

Also, how many channels can i get via ADAT/Smux at 88.2Khz? From what i hear, i lose out on 4 channels if the sampling rate is at 88.2Khz or higher which means only 4 channels can pass through out of the 8 analog inputs. Have you tried that yet?

---
pwandtke

Post by pwandtke »

Do I have to have both units plugged in via firewire or can I simply have my motu run into my apollo via optical cable then the apollo run into my mac?