The Top 10 Most Requested Features

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: The Top 10 Most Requested Features

Post by stubbsonic »

The topic of the Commands list has come up in other threads. And I think it warrants inclusion in the most-requesteds.

I think I could imagine DP really filling in any of the most requested commands into that list. And perhaps it could enhance this with some kind of macro "unit" that could operate instead of QK.

This is, of course, all workflow related and a gift to long-time users-- i.e., it is NOT a curb-appeal item to attract new users. However, in a professional environment, really nicely integrated macros are the key to snappy workflow. A little extra prep work, then easy flow thereafter.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

And Another Thing …

With all this talk of workflow and DP 9 wish lists, here's a little one, but it's one of those things that I have to do over and over.

When bouncing or freezing a track, I REALLY wish the bounced track would maintain the same track color as the original. I also wish the track would appear right above or below the track I'm freezing, instead of way up at the top of this list.

Why? Because, I have all my tracks color-coded (bass blue, drums green, piano purple, or whatever), and every time I freeze a track, I have to then scroll way up to the top, change the track color, and then drag it down to where it should be in the track list. I always render all my tracks as audio, so I do this a LOT.

That's it. Small convenience feature, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Babz
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

This. The frozen track should have the same characteristics and position as the original. That's intuitive, workflow-friendly design.
Babz wrote:And Another Thing …

With all this talk of workflow and DP 9 wish lists, here's a little one, but it's one of those things that I have to do over and over.

When bouncing or freezing a track, I REALLY wish the bounced track would maintain the same track color as the original. I also wish the track would appear right above or below the track I'm freezing, instead of way up at the top of this list.

Why? Because, I have all my tracks color-coded (bass blue, drums green, piano purple, or whatever), and every time I freeze a track, I have to then scroll way up to the top, change the track color, and then drag it down to where it should be in the track list. I always render all my tracks as audio, so I do this a LOT.

That's it. Small convenience feature, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Babz
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote:The topic of the Commands list has come up in other threads. And I think it warrants inclusion in the most-requesteds.

I think I could imagine DP really filling in any of the most requested commands into that list. And perhaps it could enhance this with some kind of macro "unit" that could operate instead of QK.

This is, of course, all workflow related and a gift to long-time users-- i.e., it is NOT a curb-appeal item to attract new users. However, in a professional environment, really nicely integrated macros are the key to snappy workflow. A little extra prep work, then easy flow thereafter.
Some sort of macro builder could be of interest to new users, unless by new you mean inexperienced.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Good point.

I wonder what portion of new users are experienced vs inexperienced.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Simsy
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Simsy »

Sorry, maybe put this in the wrong thread. So thought I would repost it in here:

I very happy with all the new features, I am not really missing anything in DP, it does everything I need. BUT if I could add a few things to DP I would like

- Better Time Stretching (like Flex time in Logic)
- VCA faders (as most have suggested)
- Allow multiple movie imports, will let you see two different cuts against each other so you can easily adjust music to new cuts
- Convert Audio into MIDI (again I saw a fellow composer use this on drums, it converted an audio drum take into MIDI so he could replace parts. Great for cleaning up audio).
- Easier delay compensation for external hardware effects.

Give me those and I am as happy as Larry (whoever that is lol).
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Simsy wrote:Sorry, maybe put this in the wrong thread. So thought I would repost it in here:

I very happy with all the new features, I am not really missing anything in DP, it does everything I need. BUT if I could add a few things to DP I would like

- Better Time Stretching (like Flex time in Logic)
- VCA faders (as most have suggested)
- Allow multiple movie imports, will let you see two different cuts against each other so you can easily adjust music to new cuts
- Convert Audio into MIDI (again I saw a fellow composer use this on drums, it converted an audio drum take into MIDI so he could replace parts. Great for cleaning up audio).
- Easier delay compensation for external hardware effects.

Give me those and I am as happy as Larry (whoever that is lol).
- Better time stretching by all means. But I'm hoping for something better than Logic's flex time. More along the lines of the IRCAM functions already used in Mach5.
- Aren't VCA faders coming in V9? Or am I confusing that with Logic updates?
- The Trigger plugin does basic audio to MIDI conversion. You can also convert pitch info from soundbites to MIDI. See p 876.
- Agreed with easier external delay compensation. Meanwhile, AUDelay does the necessaries.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

bayswater wrote:- Better time stretching by all means. But I'm hoping for something better than Logic's flex time. More along the lines of the IRCAM functions already used in Mach5.
There. That's what I want. IRCAM and MachFive rolled into DP. What an app that would be!
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Might be a licensing issue for MOTU to include M5 and IRCAM. Maybe not. It would be very nice. Is it to late to DEMAND that in DP9 or do we have to wAit until DPX?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

We don't need m5 to get time stretch. Licencing a few ircam items would suffice. Or maybe find a way for those who have m5 to access it's effects.
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

The thing I have always wanted and probably will never see it, but still I will never stop asking...is to have a better notation view that appears as a track lane above or below the piano roll, with tight integration between the two so that selecting a note on the notation highlights the corresponding note on the piano roll and visa versa, and such that the notation notes and piano roll notes are lined up with each other vertically and as the music plays they both scroll together and remain lined up vertically, etc..
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

dewdman42 wrote:The thing I have always wanted and probably will never see it, but still I will never stop asking...is to have a better notation view that appears as a track lane above or below the piano roll, with tight integration between the two so that selecting a note on the notation highlights the corresponding note on the piano roll and visa versa, and such that the notation notes and piano roll notes are lined up with each other vertically and as the music plays they both scroll together and remain lined up vertically, etc..
Put the Notation Editor above the MIDI Editor in the Consolidated Windows, and select the same zoom for both. That should do what you said to some extent. Notation and piano roles obey different spacing rules, so it may not be 100% vertically matched all the time, but it would be very close.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

I've tried to do that many times it never really works very well. The bar lines can never be made to line up exactly with the bar lines in the piano roll so they are visually out of sync after playing a few bars, There is too much granularity on the zoom level to get them the same, unless I am missing a way to finely control that.

Also, since notation editor cannot be popped into the consolidation window it becomes kind of annoying to work with. I just crashed DP when I tried to click on the staff of notation editor, so its old code that hasn't been maintained or updated in a long time, etc etc..
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

dewdman42 wrote:I've tried to do that many times it never really works very well. The bar lines can never be made to line up exactly with the bar lines in the piano roll so they are visually out of sync after playing a few bars, There is too much granularity on the zoom level to get them the same, unless I am missing a way to finely control that.

Also, since notation editor cannot be popped into the consolidation window it becomes kind of annoying to work with. I just crashed DP when I tried to click on the staff of notation editor, so its old code that hasn't been maintained or updated in a long time, etc etc..
Exactly my experience. It's clunky at best, and seems to cause crashes.

Dave seemed to be hinting at the priorities for DP in his intro in the video James posted. He distinguished between the requests from existing users and features that will attract new users, and indirectly pointed out that by new users he means younger. It's good that there is a long term view for the product, but it could mean stuff like this will be left behind.
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

Yea. Yet they did add MusicXML export finally and lots of film score composers user DP for good reasons. But I expect this will never happen also.