The Top 10 Most Requested Features

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
cowtothesky
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: The Top 10 Most Requested Features

Post by cowtothesky »

I would like to see some sort of intelligent quantize, that, on command, interprets what your playing and automatically sets the quantize parameters, such as triplets, 1/4, 1/8, whatever would give the tightest quantize.

Also, an intelligent conductor that will interpret time signatures, gliding tempos, etc.. You could tighten up or loosen the tempo after it is set. So, for instance, you could just play a piano track with emotion and set the intelligent conductor to follow you. Once set, you can orchestrate around that click.
Imac Pro 10-core, 64GB Ram, Mac OS (latest), 2TB SSD, Blackmagic Multiport 4TB SSD, DP 10, Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, VSL Instruments, VE Pro, Vienna Suite, Spectrasonics, Project SAM, Spitfire, Kontakt, Korg M3
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

That's a nice idea-- even if it was only to open the quantize window with a "best guess" at what division you might want. As long as it was a checked preference (like smart-grid-sensing or what have you). If that could be pulled off in a plug-in, that'd be slick-- and would only require some look-ahead.

I'd add that a "smooth tempos" command would be nice. WHEN they fix tap tempo, it will be nice if they can add an option that will smooth the tempos in such a way as to not affect the length a chunk or various points along the sequence.

So for example if there are "outlying" highs & lows in tempo, you could SMOOTH TEMPOS bringing the high points down and low points up in such that the resulting piece would remain the same length and or every X number of bars would line up in time just as they had before. Ultimately, the net result would make the sequence or section neither to grow or shrink in time.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

cowtothesky wrote:Also, an intelligent conductor that will interpret time signatures, gliding tempos, etc.. You could tighten up or loosen the tempo after it is set. So, for instance, you could just play a piano track with emotion and set the intelligent conductor to follow you. Once set, you can orchestrate around that click.
Yes. And they have the capability already. I always thought MOTU Freestyle was good at putting a tempo on top of whatever you played. I wish it had been pulled into DP.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
csavetman

Post by csavetman »

csavetman wrote:I'd be down with the following updates

1. VCA faders

2. Polarity invert button on mixer channels so I don't have to open a plugin for such a rudimentary task.

3. Fixing the behavior of the reshape tool when scaling the sequence editor's bite volume layer so it consistently inserts all the break points needed and not try to ramp back to some previous point. (Also- make that line stand out more!)

4. Have grouped faders retain their relative dB levels to each other when being moved

5. A preference for dual pan knobs on stereo channels (maybe right-click opt)

Carlos

I'd like to add improving the strip silence feature to my list. Making it so you can see in real time the effect of the parameters entered in the dialogue box, so you're not just taking a stab in the dark, and having to undo/ redo to get it right.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

OMG. YES. And is strip silence still so low resolution percentage?! I haven't used it in a while, but I remember thinking it needs to be in tenths of a dB units. If it already is, apologies-- I can't launch DP right now, so I can't look.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Does anyone remember the graphic version of Strip Silence that Studio Vision Pro used to have? It was great. No worrying about entering values...just shift the slider, and you can see exactly what the outcome will be.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Could someone explain VCA faders and why they are suddenly everywhere you look? I've made it 40 years in this business without ever really knowing about them, other than to see the name (rarely) in the odd article or post, but all of a sudden they're at the top of many lists of wants and needs.

Why?

I've read some linked articles in SOS and other forums, but I still fail to grasp their importance in a DAW, which already seems to do what they are meant to do. What sets them apart and makes then so desirable? I think I understand Voltage Control Amplifiers, and I think I understand why they make for good mixing board control hardware (faders), but I don't see how emulating them helps us any. We're already emulating faders. Is there a behavior, like a delay or something, that smooths their output? What's the difference between a VCA group and one of our regular groups, when they are both emulations of grouped faders?

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
davedempsey

Post by davedempsey »

Shooshie wrote:Could someone explain VCA faders and why they are suddenly everywhere you look? I've made it 40 years in this business without ever really knowing about them, other than to see the name (rarely) in the odd article or post, but all of a sudden they're at the top of many lists of wants and needs.

Why?

I've read some linked articles in SOS and other forums, but I still fail to grasp their importance in a DAW, which already seems to do what they are meant to do. What sets them apart and makes then so desirable? I think I understand Voltage Control Amplifiers, and I think I understand why they make for good mixing board control hardware (faders), but I don't see how emulating them helps us any. We're already emulating faders. Is there a behavior, like a delay or something, that smooths their output? What's the difference between a VCA group and one of our regular groups, when they are both emulations of grouped faders?

Shooshie
I'd say the essential difference is that aux subgroups etc are summing amps - moving them increases or decreases the combined output of the channels routed to that mix bus, whereas a vca or dca fader addresses the input gain of any channel assigned to it regardless of it's output route. This means, for example, once you have your drums and reverbs in shape you can assign them to a single fader - when you change that fader level up or down the wet/dry balance is unaltered. In more complex mix situations vca faders allow single fader control for multiple channels that may not be routed to the same subgroup/summing amp. With vca groups you can do things that would be a lot more difficult to achieve otherwise.
Lots of stuff and a recently acquired ability to stop buying
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Individual faders can be moved freely without suspending the group.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

bayswater wrote:Individual faders can be moved freely without suspending the group.
Is that the end of it? That's something that could be done with an option key press. In fact, I used to think it DID that, but it doesn't now, whether or not it ever did.

So, is there anything else that it gives us? For it to feed the buzz normally reserved for SSDs, new Mac Towers, and MIDI mutes seems much ado about little indeed. Is it more complex than that, and you're just giving me the 10 second tour? (thanks, btw)

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

It deals with pre/post fader issues. But as you will know we can already deal with that. I suppose we have to wait to see just MOTU has implemented this to see if it does more useful stuff.
davedempsey

Post by davedempsey »

In a complex mix where you already have channel fader automation, plug-in parameter automation yadda yadda, vca faders give you another layer of automation control which will address everything associated with the assigned channels without touching any of the other automations already in place. You can alter the entire drum kit with it's reverb wet/dry balance unchanged, along with any other bussed settings, such as kick drum as side chain control to another channel's plug-in, all in one vca fader movement. The benefits of vca faders (or more correctly, dca faders) are huge and they quite simply are not the same as fader groups.
Last edited by davedempsey on Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Ok... But would it make DP snappier?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
davedempsey

Post by davedempsey »

It would certainly make the engineer feel snappier at a late stage in the mix :)
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

I think we need them as well. When I think about it, I've had to come up with some pretty complex routings and workflows, because of not having DCAs. Would have saved a lot of time..
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.