The Top 10 Most Requested Features

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: The Top 10 Most Requested Features

Post by stubbsonic »

cleamon wrote:It would be nice if when you apply a transpose plugin to a MIDI track, that would be reflected in quickscribe. (at least as an option). Apparently, quickscribe is pre-plugin data.
I like that they are kept separate, personally, and have exploited that fact. I also use the track options to get whatever transposition I want in the QS window.

One snag is that sometimes I want a piece with no key signature (all accidentals) but when I have transposing instruments, they have to deal with a key-signature AND accidentals. In those cases, I have to have separate PLAY & PRINT tracks.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
csavetman

Post by csavetman »

I'd be down with the following updates

1. VCA faders

2. Polarity invert button on mixer channels so I don't have to open a plugin for such a rudimentary task.

3. Fixing the behavior of the reshape tool when scaling the sequence editor's bite volume layer so it consistently inserts all the break points needed and not try to ramp back to some previous point. (Also- make that line stand out more!)

4. Have grouped faders retain their relative dB levels to each other when being moved

5. A preference for dual pan knobs on stereo channels (maybe right-click opt)

Carlos
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

stubbsonic wrote:
cleamon wrote:It would be nice if when you apply a transpose plugin to a MIDI track, that would be reflected in quickscribe. (at least as an option). Apparently, quickscribe is pre-plugin data.
I like that they are kept separate, personally, and have exploited that fact. I also use the track options to get whatever transposition I want in the QS window.

One snag is that sometimes I want a piece with no key signature (all accidentals) but when I have transposing instruments, they have to deal with a key-signature AND accidentals. In those cases, I have to have separate PLAY & PRINT tracks.
Wow... I dropped the ball on THAT one. Thanks for setting it straight. I appended an edit to my previous post to reflect the truth. I don't know why I wasn't thinking about enharmonics, but of COURSE it has to be separate. Any time you deal with notation, you have to deal with enharmonics, or you get weird passages that are awkward to read, because they don't make sense, harmonically.

Sorry if I misled anyone.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

I'd just really love for them to clean up the drum editor a bit more, and do-away with having to create device groups in order to create a drum kit. For one thing, device groups get all wonky in a large project where multiple sequences use the same kit. You have to add multiple instances of the same track pairing, one for every needed sequence. This is just too weird, and often screws up or doesn't save correctly. It would be killer to be able to save "drum maps" like I've heard Cubase can do, and throw the need for device groups out the window.

That and a few other drum editor tweaks would be my only real feature request (but it's not so much a feature request as a bug fix, IMO).

It would be kinda nice to have a group-effects plugin, like a pedalboard. Something like a very simple version of Guitar Rig where you could throw in other MAS/AU/VSTs, with maybe some basic routing options and a wet/dry control, that would be slick! And it would go along with MOTUs current trend of adding lots of great guitar processors.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Last edited by Tritonemusic on Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I'd pretty much given up on Drum Maps -- creating one is one thing. Getting it back to use in a new project is quite another. If this could be simplified and made more reliable and retrievable, that would be a very useful addition. The Drum Editor chapter in the manual needs to be rewritten too. The current text appears out of date. And one more thing: it is apparent that some of the themes were not thoroughly tested with the Drum Editor -- markers and other items in the time line are not visible in some themes. (Other than that, I love it.)
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Prime Mover wrote:I'd just really love for them to clean up the drum editor a bit more, and do-away with having to create device groups in order to create a drum kit. For one thing, device groups get all wonky in a large project where multiple sequences use the same kit. You have to add multiple instances of the same track pairing, one for every needed sequence. This is just too weird, and often screws up or doesn't save correctly. It would be killer to be able to save "drum maps" like I've heard Cubase can do, and throw the need for device groups out the window.

That and a few other drum editor tweaks would be my only real feature request (but it's not so much a feature request as a bug fix, IMO).
+1 for DE enhancements (especially eliminating Device Groups as a necessity to create/name a drum set). It's a unique editing environment, and DP/MOTU shouldn't abandon it (not that I'm saying that's what they're doing). It's just that I've been able to program things with the DE that I haven't been able to do before. Maybe I could, but it would take me 100x longer.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
PMortise
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by PMortise »

Something like the Expressions Map in Cubase, and few more continuous data icons isn't too much to ask, is it? :roll:
DP 10.11 / 3.33GHz 12-Core, 10.15.7, 128GB / 3.33GHz 12-Core, 10.15.7, 128GB /
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination." ~ Einstein
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Yes. Yes to all the DE and drum map requests.

Surely it need not be so convoluted a process to set up and retrieve down the track?

Er... yes please, that is.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Not to put too fine a point on it: the new Logic update seems to have figured the DE out.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Aaah... so a lack of Logic is all it takes. Genius!

Better get the word out to MOTU - it would seem the poor buggers have been wastin' CPU cycles for years. :?

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

More a matter of conserving CPU cycles perhaps. These wish lists don't really consider priorities. It would take forever to implement all the stuff we want, but MOTU has to focus on a few things and do them well. And the DE has not made it to the top of the priority list for quite a while.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

I meant "wasting brain CPU cycles" on logic when all they had to do was be illogical (like Emagic->Apple). Cruel, yes, and not even funny. It satisfied my transient, selfish desire to, but for a fleeting moment, be able to pretend that I thought of something funny. The satisfaction, if it makes you feel any better, Stoivo, was as brief and unfulfilling as a pluck in the night (or poke in the eye, more like it).

Hey, bud, if I don't see you tomorrow it'll be because I was so excited by the DP9 news that I couldn't get any kip eye. Off to try now at any rate, although I fear I'm seriously kidding myself if I think it's gonna happen.

So excited. This is big stuff in the scheme of my life; MOTU makes my plug-in purchases for me every few years, so it's every holiday rolled into one for moi. A-w-e-s-o-m-e!

Sorry I'm still rambling. 'Night Soivo.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

have a good night. see you tomorrow, whenever that is.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

It's the day after today, you dill!

Oops... too late. I'm already here, Stoivo.

All this coming and going stuff is confusing...
Last edited by monkey man on Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.