The Top 10 Most Requested Features

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
BKK-OZ
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: The Top 10 Most Requested Features

Post by BKK-OZ »

bayswater wrote:
BKK-OZ wrote:
bayswater wrote:We've probably hashed this over before, but I got rid of the spikes by maxing out the RAM available for sample data.
If we did, I don't remember - can you clue me in, where does one make that adjustment?
Thanx in advance.
Look over page 104 in the manual.
I have no idea which box my manual is in (1 year on after my last move and I still have not unpacked my storage!). But you were/are right, I did a search here at the 'Nation and we have gone over this topic before. FYI and anyone else out there still having problems with M5, here is a cut-n-paste from a tip I found on MOTU.com:
  • The Preload Time defines how much of each sample is pre-loaded into RAM when the program loads. When using a program with a high number of samples on a computer with plenty of RAM to spare, a higher preload size will help play more parts simultaneously.

The Ring Buffer Size is the number of samples reserved for each voice after streaming has begun. A lower value can help eliminate dropouts, but also increases the load on your computer's CPU. A higher value reduces processor strain, but requires more memory.
The rest of the article is here: http://www.motu.com/techsupport/tip-of-the-day#
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

Another: A key command to close all open plug in windows or better yet an option to have a single plug in window like in DP 3.
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Tritonemusic wrote:I may as well bring this up again. The Analysis Tools available with current MOTU hardware should really be included as plug-ins available in DP.
Yes Rads!

If the set doesn't include a spectral readout (I think that's what you call it - like the mini one in MW EQ), then it should! Seems like the basic code's already there...

Also, a stereo-field display would be a welcome (and money-saving) addition to the "mastering suite" along with the multi band comp and limiter I mentioned elsewhere.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Babz wrote:1. Absolute Grid Snapping
2. Absolute Grid Snapping
3. Absolute Grid Snapping
4. Windows Always Float On Top Preference (for VI, Plugins, Quantize, etc.)
5. Windows Always Float On Top Preference
6. Update DP Contol app!!!!
7. A proper Channel Strip integrated into the SE/TO.
8. More pitch flexibility. MachFive IRCAM pitch-shifting/time stretching integrated into DP. The ability to draw in pitch on any audio clip (not just monophonic) to create tape-stop effects, pitch drops, etc.
9. More Loop/Grid-Oriented Features In General. DP has always excelled at the linear/tape machine metaphor. But grid/loop/clip has become so much a part of everything today, that even an old timer like me needs this constantly.
10. Obviously, serious catch-up is needed in the VI department. At least give us a basic version of MachFive. I often need to trigger or loop a short audio clip, or take a piece of audio and play it as an instrument. I would love a super easy-to-use sample playback VI where I could just drop in loops or clips and have things set up as automatically as possible. It should have both a keyboard (loop/truncated/transposed) and drum machine (one shot) interface. NanoSampler needs to be upgraded to at least MiniSampler, if not MachFive Jr.

Babz
YES YES YES TO #9!!!!!!!!!!!

Good lord that would make me happy. :dance: :koolaid: :headbang: :love:

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

pencilina wrote:better yet an option to have a single plug in window like in DP 3.
I don't know DP3, but you can use a single plugin window in DP 8 by changing the channel, insert and plugin selections in the respective drop down menus.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
bolla

My no.1 request

Post by bolla »

INDEPENDANT L/R VOLUME AND PANNING for Stereo tracks

With any stereo track it should be possible to vary the volume and pan of either channel without having to use Trim.
VEP does it well.
Bolla
8 Core 2.8 10.11.1 DP 8.07 | Dual 2.5 G5 VEP Slave | PC i7 920 VEP Slave | UAD Sat Quad | MiniMoog
daniel.sneed

Re: My no.1 request

Post by daniel.sneed »

bolla wrote:INDEPENDANT L/R VOLUME AND PANNING for Stereo tracks
With any stereo track it should be possible to vary the volume and pan of either channel without having to use Trim.VEP does it well.Bolla
In my actual templates, DP trim plug sits at the very last insert row of all my audio and aux tracks. I achieve some sort of *pre-mix* with all of them, prior any automation task.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Great stuff guys and gals.

I have one more, which I submitted to the MOTU suggestion box a while ago:
A MIDI Lag processor plug in (attack/release/smoothing) would make BC and AT much more useable when controlling volume, filtering and vibrato.
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Ok, Markus.

While we're at it: a complete revamp and extension of the real-time plugin set, which looks very limited to me.
IMHO, it's in the very first DP ball park.

Long ago, I've suggested to Motu to add a real time note-legnth plugin.
My wish is to play live some non percussive VI sounds with percussive pads.
Most of my actual VIs do not offer this type of tweaking.

BTW the actual velocity change seems poor to me, too.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
elcappn

Post by elcappn »

pencilina wrote:Another: A key command to close all open plug in windows or better yet an option to have a single plug in window like in DP 3.
Have you tried the "Close All Effect Windows" command? That will close all plug-in windows.
Chris

2013 Mac Pro 3.5 6-Core 64GB of RAM, 27" Dell Display x 3, macOS 10.15.7, MOTU 1248, MTP AV, Yamaha S90-es, Dave Smith Prophet 12, OB-6 & Arturia Matrix Brute, DP 10.11, Dorico Pro 2, VEP7, All Oxford plugs, PSP, Pro-Q 3, Kontakt, SoundToys, Softube, Exponential Audio Phoenix Verb, R2, Nimbus & R4, LASS+LS, WIVI Brass+Winds, VSL Harps, Falcon, CineSamples, Spitfire, Output, Heavyocity, Scuffham.
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

It would be nice if when you apply a transpose plugin to a MIDI track, that would be reflected in quickscribe. (at least as an option). Apparently, quickscribe is pre-plugin data.
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
cowtothesky

Post by cowtothesky »

I would like to see a way that you can double click on a VE Pro Instance and instead of it bringing up the server box (where you can raise the instance), it brings up the actual VE Pro Instance. If there is a way to do this, I am unaware of it, and maybe this is something VSL needs to address, rather than MOTU. I would just like to eliminate a step that I tend to do a couple thousand times in a project. :)
Imac Pro 10-core, 64GB Ram, Mac OS (latest), 2TB SSD, Blackmagic Multiport 4TB SSD, DP 10, Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, VSL Instruments, VE Pro, Vienna Suite, Spectrasonics, Project SAM, Spitfire, Kontakt, Korg M3
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

cleamon wrote:It would be nice if when you apply a transpose plugin to a MIDI track, that would be reflected in quickscribe. (at least as an option). Apparently, quickscribe is pre-plugin data.
Print the plugin. Or render it or whatever they call it. There's a menu item for that. Then it will be the same everywhere.

Quickscribe, MIDI Graphic Editor, and Event List are all the same data. Well... QS has more notation, lyrics, and so forth, but the notes are the same data you see everywhere else. I'm not saying it couldn't be done. It's just not separate data.

Shoosh
[edit: DOH! Of course it IS separate. Otherwise you couldn't do enharmonics.]
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bolla

Post by bolla »

Cross fades

Say you have a favourite fade curve that looks like the local slippery dip.
It would be great to be able to save this as a user curve so you can recall it.

Cheers, Bolla
8 Core 2.8 10.11.1 DP 8.07 | Dual 2.5 G5 VEP Slave | PC i7 920 VEP Slave | UAD Sat Quad | MiniMoog
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

I must admit when I saw this thread I didn't expect so much requesting to do with plugins which, to be honest, are external to DP and Motu. I was concentrating on the practicalities of the look and the size of buttons and screens etc which tend to affect my workflow. Its also a question of what can Motu do to make DP itself better - so I can understand if they concentrate on that and less on the issue with externals and plugins. Personally if they make loads of changes to deal with all the requests to do with handling of plugins, but ignore the basic gripes about functionality and look (full screen mode a case in point) I would not be so happy. Guess it show that everyone has different priorities and issues and different things which act like the drip drip water torture effect. Don't know how Motu will process requests or whether an update will be anything more than a fix (did I mention full screen mode already?).
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.