The Top 10 Most Requested Features

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: The Top 10 Most Requested Features

Post by bayswater »

MikeInBoston wrote:I want one thing only: Motu, please put the letter names of the notes ON THE NOTES themselves in the MIDI editor, as in Ableton Live, Bitwig Studio, and Cubase.
Sure, but please make it a preference or option.
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Update and fix the VI implementation - including MachFive3!
What's not working with M5?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

Loop recording with MIDI tracks automatically generating successive takes (with the same behavior as audio tracks have).
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

bayswater wrote:What's not working with M5?
Dunno what is bothering MLC, but M5 is practically unusable on my machine.
Constant processor spikes and the occasional crash.

My other VI's are all working OK.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

We've probably hashed this over before, but I got rid of the spikes by maxing out the RAM available for sample data.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

bayswater wrote:We've probably hashed this over before, but I got rid of the spikes by maxing out the RAM available for sample data.
If we did, I don't remember - can you clue me in, where does one make that adjustment?

Thanx in advance.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

EMRR wrote:'Direct hardware playthrough' available on the AVB line interfaces.
+1000 000 000 (that's a billion for you non-Unicorns) for Doug.

He really needs this MOTU, the poor fella has to perform circus tricks whilst recording bands at the same time.

It just might mean I could upgrade from the 424 to the AVB system too; I'm too confused by the whole networking thing to know.
daniel.sneed wrote:... Keep on being the greatest DAW available on earth...
Right on, Daniel! Yay!
Michael Canavan wrote: On that line looking forward to a possible DP9 announcement at NAMM! :headbang:
:headbang: :woohoo: :headbang:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

pencilina wrote:Loop recording with MIDI tracks automatically generating successive takes (with the same behavior as audio tracks have).
I second that suggestion.
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Third it.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

1. Absolute Grid Snapping
2. Absolute Grid Snapping
3. Absolute Grid Snapping
4. Windows Always Float On Top Preference (for VI, Plugins, Quantize, etc.)
5. Windows Always Float On Top Preference
6. Update DP Contol app!!!!
7. A proper Channel Strip integrated into the SE/TO.
8. More pitch flexibility. MachFive IRCAM pitch-shifting/time stretching integrated into DP. The ability to draw in pitch on any audio clip (not just monophonic) to create tape-stop effects, pitch drops, etc.
9. More Loop/Grid-Oriented Features In General. DP has always excelled at the linear/tape machine metaphor. But grid/loop/clip has become so much a part of everything today, that even an old timer like me needs this constantly.
10. Obviously, serious catch-up is needed in the VI department. At least give us a basic version of MachFive. I often need to trigger or loop a short audio clip, or take a piece of audio and play it as an instrument. I would love a super easy-to-use sample playback VI where I could just drop in loops or clips and have things set up as automatically as possible. It should have both a keyboard (loop/truncated/transposed) and drum machine (one shot) interface. NanoSampler needs to be upgraded to at least MiniSampler, if not MachFive Jr.

Babz
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

MikeInBoston wrote:I want one thing only: Motu, please put the letter names of the notes ON THE NOTES themselves in the MIDI editor, as in Ableton Live, Bitwig Studio, and Cubase.

Mike
Yes that makes sense
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

BKK-OZ wrote:
bayswater wrote:We've probably hashed this over before, but I got rid of the spikes by maxing out the RAM available for sample data.
If we did, I don't remember - can you clue me in, where does one make that adjustment?

Thanx in advance.
Look over page 104 in the manual. The last paragraph on Preload Time covers some trade-offs. I have it set to 300, but it depends on what you're doing. The next section on Ring Buffer size says to just set it to the maximum value as long as you have the RAM.

At one point when I was getting a lot of spikes, I dug into it and noticed that it was due to disk problems rather than processor overload, although the various monitors we have available to us make it look like processor overload. That's probably where the preload time is important to get right.

That, along with the use of multiple instances seems to work just fine for me, and I have a pretty gutless Mac.
groove

Post by groove »

All of the above, plus a pop-up box you can invoke that follows the cursor and shows the current relevant info, instead of having to watch a tiny info box in the upper left corner of the window while doing your edit in another part of the window (hello crossed-eyes). This pop-up info box should be available while editing MIDI notes, cc, audio events, automation, etc.

Last edited by groove on Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
---------
iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Xeon E5, 64GB ram OS X 10.15.7, UA Apollo 8 Quad + Satellite Quad, UA 2192, Waves V12, LASS Full, VSL, Korg MS-20, Elektron A4, Moog SlimPhatty, NI Komplete13, ROLI, Soundtoys 5, Arturia V Collection, GForce Oddity, Serum.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Babz wrote:
  • 1. Absolute Grid Snapping
    2. Absolute Grid Snapping
    3. Absolute Grid Snapping
    4. Windows Always Float On Top Preference (for VI, Plugins, Quantize, etc.)
    5. Windows Always Float On Top Preference
    7. A proper Channel Strip integrated into the SE/TO.
    8. More pitch flexibility. MachFive IRCAM pitch-shifting/time stretching integrated into DP. The ability to draw in pitch on any audio clip (not just monophonic) to create tape-stop effects, pitch drops, etc.
    9. More Loop/Grid-Oriented Features In General. DP has always excelled at the linear/tape machine metaphor. But grid/loop/clip has become so much a part of everything today, that even an old timer like me needs this constantly.
    10. Obviously, serious catch-up is needed in the VI department. At least give us a basic version of MachFive. I often need to trigger or loop a short audio clip, or take a piece of audio and play it as an instrument. I would love a super easy-to-use sample playback VI where I could just drop in loops or clips and have things set up as automatically as possible. It should have both a keyboard (loop/truncated/transposed) and drum machine (one shot) interface. NanoSampler needs to be upgraded to at least MiniSampler, if not MachFive Jr.

Oh Babz, as always, you steal my heart away... that is... if the heart is located in the DAW center of the brain. This is an excellent list. I'd change the redundant ones so that we get 10 separate topics. (we need them)

Here's the revised list:
  • 1. FIX TAP TEMPO ONCE AND FOR ALL. I think programmers are unsure as to how this should work. Perhaps a revisit to some code from 1995 would help. Tap Tempo used to work beautifully. Now, it's rare to get through a single take, ever, with it actually following you and recording your tempos.
    2. Absolute Grid Snapping — and with it, the first stages of Region Based editing, with context sensitive swap from current method to region-based method. [It's time for this. Really. I'm saying this, and I don't even WANT regions. But many people do.]
    3. Make MIDI and Audio work more alike:
    • • Change Audio Assignments to I/O Assignments and make it apply to MIDI, including sequential channels within a single instrument, or sequential instruments, or same instrument/channel.
      • Make the Mute tool operate on individual or collective MIDI events.
      • Comp Tool works on MIDI takes.
      • Polar or Polar-like plugin works on MIDI
    4. "Windows Always Float On Top" Preference (for VI, Plugins, Quantize, etc.)
    5. Overhaul MIDI Controllers:
    • • Make the legend accommodate 16 custom named and assigned controller icons,
      • make controllers easily selectable with corresponding MIDI events like notes,
      • give us Context-sensitive grid filters and input filters for working with specific controllers/automation points.
    7. A proper Channel Strip integrated into the Sequence Editor/Tracks Overview.
    11. Update Drawing and Reshape Tools for less mousing around:
    • • Keyboard commands for selecting types of reshape/drawing tools AND their functions.
      • This could be something like holding down R or P while typing 1, 2, 3, 4... to select the drawing tool type (parabola, line, freehand, etc.)
      • and a, b, c... for function (set, add/subtract, scale, max limit, min limit).
      • Give us context sensitive right-click menus for Points/Lines/Bars and for controller selection (input filter and grid filter)
Babz (& Shooshie helped a wee bit)
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

I may as well bring this up again. The Analysis Tools available with current MOTU hardware should really be included as plug-ins available in DP.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
dix

Post by dix »

groove wrote:All of the above, plus a pop-up box you can invoke that follows the cursor and shows the current relevant info, instead of having to watch a tiny info box in the upper left corner of the window while doing your edit in another part of the window (hello crossed-eyes). This pop-up info box should be available while editing MIDI notes, cc, audio events, automation, etc.
Love, love love this idea! Also, being able to see the buffer setting at all times without opening Hardware Settings.

I'm going to add

1. Ability to turn off wiper MIDI scrubbing!!!
2. Select MIDI note pitch ranges with horizontal I-beam - that would appear when the cursor is over the piano at the the far left of the edit window (ala StudioVison!)
3. 'Freeze To New Track' (especially useful when Freezing tracks from multi channel VIs)
4. Vari-Speed recording and playback
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com