iOS Synths and DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

iOS Synths and DP

Post by Babz »

Hello all you iPad users out there in Unicornland!

I've got an iPad Air and have been acquiring apps for a while, like Animoog, and Thor, and just picked up a nifty little one called Synth-Q.

Up till now they have been just amusing little finger toys, but I've come to the conclusion that some of these sounds are just way too cool to not use in a real music project.

Is there anyone out there using iPad apps in DP?

What is the best way to integrate the wild and wooly world of iOS synths into DP?

I was thinking of getting the iConnectMIDI2+ (about $80), but I've read some reviews saying the latency makes is unusable, others saying it is acceptable.

What about just getting the $30 Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter? This gives you USB in for MIDI, I guess, and then what, you come out the stereo mini plug for audio? Anybody using this approach? How is it working?

How are you people doing it? What do I need to get in order to use these apps as synths in DP?

Thx,
Babz

Here are some of the apps I'd like to use: Annimoog, Thor, Synth-Q, iMachine, Traktor DJ, NodeBeat HD, TC VoiceJamStudio
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: iOS Synths and DP

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Hey Babz, I haven't used it with DP but I have used a few apps on the iPad and iPhone in performances with good results. I see no reason it wouldn't integrate as an external MIDI device.

I have the original iRig but bow there's the TB/USB iRig 2 and clearly I'm gonna get me one.

The apps I like are Alchemy, Animoog, and SampleTank. The iRig MIDI app that comes with the device is also very good and records.

In my case I plugged a battery powered Yamaha DX-100 in as the controller and piped the iDevices into a small mixer. It's amazing what you can do with just a few of these things and having both an iPhone and iPad(s) I can get quite a variety of stuff happening.

Aside: Play On Cue is a great app if you need playback in a theater type production. It'll play a Playlist from iTunes (or you can select the cuts to play and the order) and when it gets to the end it will cue the next one and wait for you to press play. It's like $3.

Along these same lines but more of a sample player, the KASB app is great onstage for triggering samples (including your own samples).

If I had to pick one app that would be best overall and unique, it would be Alchemy. You will not go wrong with the iRig. Not cheap at $100. It's made in Italy and looks solid to me. Way nicer than the 1st generation one.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

And the there's this... ($150)

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Of course, at the very least you can just play individual tracks, live, from these synths, and record through the headphone port. But some of them will respond to a USB keyboard connected through the Apple iPad camera kit.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Babz

Post by Babz »

Yes, need real MIDI keyboard. The on screen keyboards are pretty limited.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I always go with WiFi if I can. Use an adhoc network connection for the least amount of latency, but note that Yosemite's adhoc is no longer secure.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Babz wrote:Yes, need real MIDI keyboard. The on screen keyboards are pretty limited.
I use the Line 6 Mobile Keys. It's bus powered through the 30 pin connector cable and works even better through the Apple Lightening adapter (much, much better). In addition, it has a USB port to act as a standard MIDI controller. I've used it with my Mac and used my iPads as sound modules into DP. I take the 1/8" audio out from my iPad when I use it live.
http://line6.com/mobilekeys/

Right now, Guitar Center has an insane price of $29.95 for the 25 key version.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Mobi ... 4639487282

There are people selling the 49 key version on eBay under $100 because they believe it's incompatible with the Lightening adapter -- they are wrong. I paid $249 for mine when it first came out and would pay it again if I had to. Weighs about 4 pounds.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Babz wrote:The on screen keyboards are pretty limited.
No, really Babz? :shock:

Dem suckers is state of the art down here in Jungleville. Hmm... :?

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

The onscreen keyboards are good for some kinds of things. I've seen some GREAT performances of kind of melismatic solo sounds from Animoog.

There's an app called Apollo that helps you set up connection (I think it is bluetooth).

Recording the headphone out seems like a reasonable way to get the sound out.

I have a Zoom H2n that I use with a powered USB hub on the CCK. That lets me get MIDI i/o and Audio i/o taken care of. But I haven't done much DP & iPad work 'cuz I have plenty of nice sounds on my computer.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Babz

Post by Babz »

monkey man wrote:

:lol: Hardee, har-har, MonKey Man.

Thing is, up here in bipedal-land, the state of the art has evolved beyond the iBanana app.

Babz
Babz

Post by Babz »

mikehalloran wrote:
Right now, Guitar Center has an insane price of $29.95 for the 25 key version.
Thanx for the hot tip, mikehalloran! I went for it! No doubt 25 keys is still going to leave me feeling partially in toyland, but a keyboard -- ANY kind of keyboard -- for the price of the CCK! Hot deal, for sure. (I already have the 30-pin-to-Lightning adapter, so I should be good to go.)

I was tempted to go for the 49-key version (found a new one on Amazon for $105), but there are a lot of choices for 49-key controllers in the $100 range, ones with more knobs, sliders, pads, etc. At some point maybe I'll get one of those + plus the CCK.

Babz
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Babz wrote:
monkey man wrote:

:lol: Hardee, har-har, MonKey Man.
MonKey Man. Ha!
Babz wrote:Thing is, up here in bipedal-land, the state of the art has evolved beyond the iBanana app.

Babz
Doh! Just when we think we've caught up down here, you guys are light years ahead. :?

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Babz

Post by Babz »

How do you make anything better?

Add monkeys!!!

David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Most iOS synths and effects are just ports from the AU/VST versions. To me it seems redundant to try and integrate them with DP when you can just use the AU/VST versions in DP.
Yeah, the iOS synths are cheaper and there a few that aren't available as full AU/VST's.

I still feel that music and audio production on an i-Pad or i-Phone is a gimmick. Something to
pass the time with on a long plane flight. The iOS platform is still too limited by the hardware.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
MIDI Life Crisis

There's also some cool touch screen features (especially in Alchemy) that are not yet in the Mac OS. But that aside, I agree. We got 'nuf stuff as is - at least for my needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS