iOS Synths and DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: iOS Synths and DP

Post by stubbsonic »

I'll just warn you that from what I heard from the demos, that crudebyte stuff just isn't worth the money.

Make sure you listen to the demos. If you like what you hear, great.

I just notice like choppy releases, bad sampling, and I can just tell there was poor planning with regard to the recording and editing. Take my opinion with a grain of salt, and listen for yourself.

All those collections are very expensive but just don't offer the value, in my opinion.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I had mentioned this earlier.
use the Line 6 Mobile Keys. It's bus powered through USB or the included 30 pin connector cable and works even better through the Apple Lightening Adapter (much, much better*). In addition, it has a USB port to act as a standard MIDI controller. I've used it with my Mac and used my iPads as sound modules into DP. I take the 1/8" audio out from my iPad when I use it live.
http://line6.com/mobilekeys/
I paid $249 for mine when it first came out and would pay it again if I had to. Weighs under 4 pounds.
I looked at the Line 6 web site and notice that Mobile Keys no longer comes up. Guitar Center has a closeout on the 49 key version. $39.97 with free shipping in the 48 states.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Mobi ... 2409842.gc

My daughter has really liked mine so I have one coming for her birthday. Shhh! Anyway, when I placed the order online, I got an Out of Stock error. Calling the toll free, I found out that they still have plenty.

Lighter than my old Fatar and far more useful.

*There's an issue when connected to my iPad 1 through the 30pin connector and the iPad goes to sleep – you have to disconnect/re-connect at the iPad (workaround is to put it to sleep by hitting the side button). Connected to my iPhone 5S or iPad Air using the Apple 30pin to Lightening connector, this issue goes away.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Luke

Post by Luke »

Hey Mike,

Did you ever have an issue with the 30 pin cable breaking off on the side which connects to the keyboard? I was going to get one of these at that sale price but became hesitant when I saw several reviews stating that they had encountered that problem with the cable.

I hope those reviewers are the type of folks that don't take care of things properly because I still want to get this keyboard at that price before the supply is gone.

Any thoughts?
*14 inch M1 Macbook Pro - 16GB Ram - OS 14.1 (Sonoma)- Motu M4 - Motu DP 11.23, Other bells and whistles*
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Perhaps I should order a spare cable. Thanks for the heads up.

Last year at NAMM, Line 6 told me that they were going to make a Lightening cable available but I never saw one. It's a small connector at the keyboard but no more so than many others. I have had mine since 2011.

I'm really surprised to see it discontinued. It's a good product. There is some velocity sensitivity, not a great amount but some. There's no keyboard weighting and at under 4lb, none is to be expected. It consumes little power. A 10 hour iPad battery lasts 9 hours with it in use. I like that the octave shift keys are clear and work well, +/- 2 in either direction. A standard USB cable connects it to my iMac for playing VIs. It and its 25 key sibling certainly travel well.

A keyboard for a serious player? Of course not. For my needs, it is perfect and I no longer use my others. I thought it well worth the $249 when I bought mine four years ago. At $40, it's a no brainier for someone who plays a little keyboard looking for a MIDI controller.

My daughter is a fine pianist and has a good keyboard controller. Still, she borrows mine on occasion. Now she'll have her own.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

stubbsonic wrote: What I do REALLY get into:

1. Physical Modeling synths. LaPlace, SpringSound, etc.

2. Metronomes & tuners

3. Drum/Groove machines that allow any meters & beat divisions. DrumPerfect, StrokeMachine, Metronomics, etc.

4. One app: Multitrack Studio-- This app is as close as the iOS comes to DP, IMHO. It ain't as high roller as Auria, in terms of audio and the GUI, but in terms of flexibility for composition & MIDI, it is better than any others I've tried.

In short, cheap apps have made me feel spread thin. But I've become more careful about not buying stuff I know I won't use no matter how cool or cheap it is. And, I've gotten better at dumping apps I never use (I can always pull them from the cloud later), and just having a general sense of what is available to me if I need some specific kind of sound or process.
Are these on the AppStore? I just searched for LaPlace, SpringSound, and Multitrack Studio and nada.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

You have to go to iTunes® and go to the iTunes Store®. That's where all the iOS® apps® are.

The App® Store® is where (Mac® OS)® apps® are.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

Tobor

Post by Tobor »

stubbsonic wrote:You have to go to iTunes® and go to the iTunes Store®. That's where all the iOS® apps® are.

The App® Store® is where (Mac® OS)® apps® are.
Thanks! Got confused as of course when I hit AppStore on the iPad it takes me to the appropriate category. Happened to be on the iMac and assumed 'AppStore' would let me view the same items.

Another 'duh' moment on a 'duh' day. Sorry.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

No problem, Tobor.

It is a little messy the way it is organized. I could see them keeping media (iTunes) separate from Apps (App Store) and then having tabs for iOS vs Mac within those stores. That would make some sense. But since you need iTunes to sync to devices, it makes sense to keep those apps there.

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Just saw a Mitch/SW vid about iDisplay, an iOS/Mac app that lets you use the iPad as a 2nd monitor and input/remote device.

The reviews are pretty bad, mostly related to choppy video. There was an app called Splashtop that kind of did the same thing.

Anyway, if they get it working smoothly, it probably will do everything anyone would have wanted to do with that DP remote app that seems kind of limited.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/idispla ... 00805?mt=8

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Reading a few of the negative reviews, it looks like the problems might arise from trying to use it to show videos controlled from a desktop, rather than the other way around.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

Tobor wrote:
stubbsonic wrote: What I do REALLY get into:

1. Physical Modeling synths. LaPlace, SpringSound, etc.

2. Metronomes & tuners

3. Drum/Groove machines that allow any meters & beat divisions. DrumPerfect, StrokeMachine, Metronomics, etc.

4. One app: Multitrack Studio-- This app is as close as the iOS comes to DP, IMHO. It ain't as high roller as Auria, in terms of audio and the GUI, but in terms of flexibility for composition & MIDI, it is better than any others I've tried.
Hey, just wanted to give a shout out of thanks for the good suggestions. Multitrack Studio is very cool, being able to control Gadget and iProphet etc. in one program is an eye opener and I was able to accomplish that with just a bit of fiddling, much more to learn but I do like the interface and streamlined functionality. Makes the iPad more of a legit scratch pad than a collection of shiny toys!

Metronomics also very promising.

So....thanks!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Glad to hear it, Tobor.

Multitrack Studio is a fascinating one, both because of its minimalist GUI (the app icon says it all), and its robust feature set.

Have fun.

I wonder if they'll ever release an iPad with stereo speakers that face the user-- I think that is the #1 stupid thing about the iPad (mono speaker on the back facing my wife while she's trying to read).

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

What version of the iPad has a mono speaker facing the back? Neither of mine do. Each has stereo speakers -- they are on either side of the power connector.

Ok, not very good stereo but there are left and right channels in portrait view. In landscape view, they are up and down and face the same direction as the 30 pin or lightening connector.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

iPad 4, one speaker on the side opposite the home button. It is a pretty funny little low-tech moment when I cup my hand on the back of my iPad so I can hear it while I look at the display.

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

BTW, I just got an app called Music IO. There are a few different apps now that do this same thing. Basically, it is a way to interface your iOS device with your DAW and pipe audio & MIDI between them using the basic USB-lightning/30pin cable.

What makes Music IO different (I believe) is that is provides 32 and 64 bit versions of AU and VST plugins so the connections can be made this way.

Music IO has free software for the Mac to set up the connection on that side.

It claims very low latency. This is a promising way to integrate inexpensive but cool apps from the iOS device into real projects on the laptop.

I haven't tested it yet, but will be using it soon. I'll report back.