Track grouping

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
sampolfonz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Track grouping

Post by sampolfonz »

I am attempting to set up a track group for the purpose of being able to take several tracks out of record mode without stopping the transport.

I have successfully placed tracks in the group and set the custom setup to include record; however, when clicking one record enable, I am expecting that all in the group will be enabled but only the one track I click will be enabled.

Can anyone explain how this process works?

Thanks,

Sam
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Track grouping

Post by Shooshie »

When you set up a group, you need to customize what it does. Record Enable is one of the options you click in the group dialog. If you did not see the dialog, go to the Track Groups window (I think that's SHIFT-G, but I'm not sure about that. Anyway, you can access it in the sidebars of the Consolidated Windows. Any pane in the sidebar can become the Track Groups pane by clicking on the name (which becomes a menu) and selecting Track Groups. Once there, the group you just created is probably the last one in the list. To open it, change the group type to Custom, and the dialog will appear. Check Record Enable and rename your group to something you'll recognize and remember. When you don't want the grouping active, uncheck the group in the Track Group window's list. You can come back later and reactivate it or deactivate it, or even delete it if you're done with it for good.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
sampolfonz

Post by sampolfonz »

Greetings, Shooshie

I had already set this up the way you suggested. It doesn't work, in fact the activate/deactivate track groups button is backwards. And, even when I did get it to work it still would not select multiple record channels. And, when the transport is moving, the record channels cannot be disabled and without this be able to be done, I will not be able to use DP the way I wanted: leaving the transport running and freely disabling tracks out of record mode.

Thanks for the help, though. And, you have been using this a long time. Let me ask you this. I noticed a change in the audio quality from version 7.24 to version 8. 7.24 sounded thicker and audio in 8 sounds "brassy" and not as deep. I use an Apollo Quad, so the interface is quite good, just the sound of the audio is not what I thought it should be for DP. There was a change and I do not think it was for the good.

My thoughts.

Sam
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Sam, no change noted here. If you are having this many issues with DP, I suggest you call tech support. Something's wrong with your installation or there is a configuration out of place, or something. None of the issues you describe have been reported around here, and I haven't seen them. Believe me, if the sound of DP changed, MOTU would be impounded and floated down the Charles River. Sorry to hear you are having troubles.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

Has ANY daw ever allowed one to disable/enable record on individual tracks while in record? I have always missed that efficiency from MDM's and open feel multitracks. I'd love to find a way. so multiple people can do spot punches on the same pass.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
sampolfonz

Post by sampolfonz »

Doug,

Cubase does this flawlessly. I have folder tracks set up with 10 tracks each in them. Click on the one record button for the folder track and it takes everything in the folder out of record mode, all while the transport is moving.

I would like to be able to do this with DP as well.

Sam
doodles

Post by doodles »

Are we talking MIDI or audio for record enable/disable?

As Shooshie says, track grouping will work fine for selecting which tracks you want to enable/disable. That being said, If I take an audio track out of record mode while playing, then my system will stutter a bit.
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

sampolfonz wrote:Cubase does this flawlessly.

I would like to be able to do this with DP as well.
This is news to me, love to see it in DP. Time to hit the ole' suggestion box....

http://www.motu.com/other/feedback/suggestions
Doug Williams
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Ok, when I answered this, as I was checking things out I forgot about the need for it to work WHILE RECORDING. But I checked it out again, and it does work. I can arm or disarm an entire group while recording. However, if you are not seeing it work for record enable of MIDI tracks, chances are you do not have Multi-Record turned on. You'll find Multi-Record near the bottom of the Studio Menu.

Also, the original poster's statement about the group button (enabling/disabling a group) working "backward"... that's another bizarre issue. I really recommend that you call MOTU tech support if you're seeing things like this happening. DP may have its issues, but blatant, careless programming is not one of them. On the rare occasion that MOTU puts out a version of DP that's got a blatant bug, there's usually a fix within a month, if not the next few days. I checked my group buttons, and they all work... frontward!

So, to repeat, I've checked out all the concerns of the original poster, and they just don't exist on my system. Every single one of them is working as it should.

Shooshie
doodles

Post by doodles »

EMRR wrote:So, to repeat, I've checked out all the concerns of the original poster, and they just don't exist on my system. Every single one of them is working as it should.

Shooshie
Shooshie - so are you saying that if you're recording a track and take the track out of record enable, which there's a whole load of other tracks playing at the same time, then DP doesn't glitch at all? Wow, nice. In which case it means that this issue maybe has something to do with it running loads of synths and VI's at the same time?

Either way, not a biggie for me - record enabling/disabling various MIDI is flawless for me, which is my main concern...
Last edited by doodles on Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

doodles wrote:
EMRR wrote:So, to repeat, I've checked out all the concerns of the original poster, and they just don't exist on my system. Every single one of them is working as it should.

Shooshie
Shooshie - so are you saying that if you're recording a track and take the track out of record enable, which there's a whole load of other tracks playing at the same time, then SP doesn't glitch at all? Wow, nice. In which case it means that this issue maybe has something to do with it running loads of synths and VI's at the same time?

Either way, not a biggie for me - record enabling/disabling various MIDI is flawless for me, which is my main concern...
SP? Sorry... I'm drawing a blank.

But I can't say there is no glitch. I didn't test audio, just MIDI, and I didn't go deep. I only verified that the enable/disable is working as it always has, even when grouped.

I don't normally record-enable or disable while actually recording. I use punch-in/out, but I just don't need to do individual tracks while the cursor is moving. I knew it could be done, because I've actually done it from time to time, but that's just not my normal workflow.

shooshie
doodles

Post by doodles »

doodles wrote: SP? Sorry... I'm drawing a blank.

But I can't say there is no glitch. I didn't test audio, just MIDI, and I didn't go deep. I only verified that the enable/disable is working as it always has, even when grouped.

I don't normally record-enable or disable while actually recording. I use punch-in/out, but I just don't need to do individual tracks while the cursor is moving. I knew it could be done, because I've actually done it from time to time, but that's just not my normal workflow.
Doh! DP - rubbish typing :lol:

Yeah, MIDI works just fine, as you say, but I think the OP was talking about enabling/disabling audio? Anyway, all good. Sorry for typos!
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Shooshie wrote:... However, if you are not seeing it work for record enable of MIDI tracks, chances are you do not have Multi-Record turned on. You'll find Multi-Record near the bottom of the Studio Menu.
Shooshie
I picked this up straight away and was about to post it; thanks Shoosh.

Hopefully it solves the OP's issue.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

Does not work for audio tracks in my experience.
Doug Williams
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
sampolfonz

Post by sampolfonz »