88 key controllers

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 88 key controllers

Post by monkey man »

So true, Shoosh. Just call me Grandpa as 1970-1985 covers most of my rather vast iTunes library. I can't play like those dudes, but those you mentioned, along with Duke, Hancock et al have always been my go-to listenings.

Hey, I've missed you bro'. Hope you're OK, man.

I too have been trying to keep in vague touch with the 88-key offerings these past 10 years. Nothing has met my needs, thus far, especially where BC input, multiple pedal ins and poly aftertouch are concerned. So disappointing. My board (Roland A-50) is now 26 years old, I think, and as you may remember, outputs poly AT 3 octaves above whichever key one presses. Still to this day nobody has been able to explain, let alone fix the situation. I'll be reviving my thread on it at some point in the hope that some genius out there can come up with a solution. For now at least (probably through lack of use), the board's still in remarkably good nick; I had all the switches and sliders replaced a few years back for good measure.

Please, somebody, give us an 88-key controller that's built like a tank, doesn't weigh or cost the earth, is garnished with a tasty old-school mix of MIDI I/O and sliders, doesn't include sounds, VIs, fancy flavour-of-the-day DAW / VI / microwave oven control and that doesn't require USB (or USB powering). Please? Is this too much to ask? I'd like to believe hoards of folks would jump at one of these. I'd be one of them. I'd probably buy two just in case.
HCMarkus wrote:I use a second (Motif ES6) keyboard to allow bloodless organ smears.
So whaddaya smear 'em with then, HC? Red wine? :lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

HCMarkus wrote:Love my Yamaha S90ES. Sweet action, multiple Pedals and BC in, Mod and Pitch wheels, and some pretty great sounds (for live or scratch).
Arrgh! I'm a cheap one, but there's currently a "mint S90ES" on craigslist for $1K. :)
I'm heading to GC to see if I like the keys...

How do the "DAW controls" work in DP8? It would be nice if the transport at least worked.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Michael Canavan wrote:How do the "DAW controls" work in DP8? It would be nice if the transport at least worked.
Never tried 'em, so I have no idea!
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

I bought the P-105. Played a variety of controllers and it was generally the best for the $, with small variances within the whole Yamaha P-range. I too wish it had mod wheels and, unfortunately, it is higher than my old keystation 88 which means I can;t use it in my normal, sitting mix position in between my speakers. SO it sits in the back of the studio for when I need it for more “pianistic” players. It does feel pretty good for the $
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I think he meant that his organs had already been drained of blood when he used them to smear the keyboard. :-) Makes the cleanup job easier.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
billf

Post by billf »

monkey man wrote:Please, somebody, give us an 88-key controller that's built like a tank, doesn't weigh or cost the earth, is garnished with a tasty old-school mix of MIDI I/O and sliders, doesn't include sounds, VIs, fancy flavour-of-the-day DAW / VI / microwave oven control and that doesn't require USB (or USB powering). Please? Is this too much to ask? I'd like to believe hoards of folks would jump at one of these. I'd be one of them. I'd probably buy two just in case.
Somehow I doubt it, too much money is to made in current gimmicks. But this is exactly why I still have and use my circa 1987-ish keyboard synths as controllers.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

I hear you, Billy! Dang.
mhschmieder wrote:I think he meant that his organs had already been drained of blood when he used them to smear the keyboard. :-) Makes the cleanup job easier.
Aah... gotcha, Mark.

You're a sick puppy. :lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

ultimate (?) 88-note kybd. controller?
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical- ... ing&page=5
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

monkey man wrote:I hear you, Billy! Dang.
mhschmieder wrote:I think he meant that his organs had already been drained of blood when he used them to smear the keyboard. :-) Makes the cleanup job easier.
Aah... gotcha, Mark.

You're a sick puppy. :lol:
+1
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I forget who did it, but someone announced a non-weighted 88-key controller at NAMM yesterday IIRC.

My head is spinning from all the NAMM news though, so I may have conflated two separate announcements.

After reviewing what all I saw written up yesterday, my one big takeaway is that the all-analog Sequential Prophet 6 (yes, Yamaha gave the name back to Dave Smith) is rightfully the star of the show this year.

Lots of synth and controller news this time around. Just not sure the 88-keyers are well-represented. But sometimes news is saved for the second day of the show (or even later).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

If anyone's curious a used M-Audio ProKeys 88 popped up for $180 and at that price I decided to get it before doing my taxes. :)

Positive:
Good weighted keys.
Keyboard split between two MIDI channels.
Onboard sounds for practicing, not too bad either.
Looks like you can set up MMC to have basic play and stop buttons online.
Two sustain pedal inputs.
USB MIDI and class compliant,
Expression pedal in.
Mod and pitch wheel.

Negative:
Incomplete manuel. I still don't know whether I can get it to stop sending sustain on both channels when using the split keys for MIDI out.

No aftertouch.

M-Audio, so there are LEDs that don't light up above the piano patches because the previous user used them the most. This was supposed to be their "pro" offering and when it came out it was priced as such, the casing is solid, but the buttons? I'm going to open it up and see if q-tips and rubbing alcohol won't help but meh!

There are three long throw sliders that would be perfect for assigning to CC values in things like String vibrato in Kontakt etc. but I don't see a way to do that yet.

All in all though, freaking $180 for pretty decent feeling piano type keys. :headbang:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
cowtothesky

Post by cowtothesky »

mhschmieder wrote:I forget who did it, but someone announced a non-weighted 88-key controller at NAMM yesterday IIRC.

My head is spinning from all the NAMM news though, so I may have conflated two separate announcements.

After reviewing what all I saw written up yesterday, my one big takeaway is that the all-analog Sequential Prophet 6 (yes, Yamaha gave the name back to Dave Smith) is rightfully the star of the show this year.

Lots of synth and controller news this time around. Just not sure the 88-keyers are well-represented. But sometimes news is saved for the second day of the show (or even later).
Nektar came out with a semi-weighted 88 key controller. The mod wheel looks pretty flimsy and isn't on the left side, but could be worth checking out.

Imac Pro 10-core, 64GB Ram, Mac OS (latest), 2TB SSD, Blackmagic Multiport 4TB SSD, DP 10, Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, VSL Instruments, VE Pro, Vienna Suite, Spectrasonics, Project SAM, Spitfire, Kontakt, Korg M3
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I mentioned this in another thread, but thought I'd bring it up here, as well, since it is on-topic.

Infinite Response-- the same company that made the excellent VAX77 controller (if I wasn't always broke, I'd have one)-- is developing an inexpensive hammer action keyboard with poly-AT, and a very open/hacker-friendly architecture. You really should watch the intro video. It's dry, but lets you know how far along they are (I think?).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... controller

For folks needing something right now, this won't do. This new VAX probably won't be done until next year.

Comes in 2 octave increments-- 4, 6, 8 (that's 48, 72, and 96-keys). You can choose whether your 2-octave modules go from C to B, or F to E.

It was a little unclear whether they would go with HD MIDI via ethernet or MIDI din. They seem to have settled on MIDI din, but seems like some of that stuff is not very well nailed down as of yet.

Still, I went for it. $550 (+$60 Shipping) for a 6 octave keyboard (some assembly required) is such a good deal for what they are offering/promising. The 8 octave (96 key) version is 700 plus shipping!!! $1050 assembled (plus shipping).
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

Prime Mover wrote:I get really depressed every time I pop my head up looking for an 88key controller to replace my QS8. I'm always shocked by how few options there are.
I hear you. My QS88 is still the best feeling set of keys I've ever owned and still has center stage in my studio as main keyboard for playing on. I don't use any of its sounds, its just a controller for me. I considered selling it when I got my Korg Kronos - only to find the the Kronos is too long to fit into the same space. The QS8 is shorter by virtue of having the mod and bender above the keyboard instead of left of it. So I keep it.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

HCMarkus wrote:I use a second (Motif ES6) keyboard to allow bloodless organ smears.
I picked up a Hammond KX3c of ebay because I wanted drawbars and the impending death of B4 II had me casting about for a replacement. Turns out that the waterfall keys on the thing are also letting me get some sounds I wasn't getting with emulation and weighted keyboard, and the nice light keys make a lot of riffs/smears/slaps way easier to pull off.

So I totally get where you're coming from for that. Organs are organs - no key weights required (there's plenty of weight elsewhere in them - despite being digital - they paneled it with enough faux wood to give you the barest hint of moving a real B3 when lifting it).
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.