88 key controllers

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
daniel.sneed
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 88 key controllers

Post by daniel.sneed »

stubbsonic wrote:Though I won't have much of a basis for comparison, I will post a review of the new VAX keyboard when it ships next year. I expect the action will be pretty unique, offering some of the weight and throw of a hammer, but with a different key return and action. Oh, and Poly AT.
Hey, Stubbsonic! There will be a 4 octaves hammer action? You got me started...
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

billf wrote:
monkey man wrote:Oh yeah, Billy.

The DX series was an order of magnitude tougher than my Roland, for sure.

That thing'll outlast even you, bro'.
Some of those 80's products have stood the test of time.
Yeah Billy, and Yamaha features prominently. The SPX90 springs immediately to mind.

Stubbsy, I too am curious to see how you go with this thing. Somehow I doubt it'll provide all the flavours and counts of I/O I'm used to, but since I first heard about it my (short-spanned) attention has been mildly aroused... so to speak. Poly AT is definitely a must for me, so at least that one's locked in.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
billf

Post by billf »

monkey man wrote:The SPX90 springs immediately to mind.
Yes, I had an SPX 90 II. I sold it, but sort of wish I still had it as nothing else can quite capture that sound.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Exactly.

Hey, if we all had a buck for each of our slap-me-on-the-forehead, why-did-I-sell-it moments, and then we combined all our totals, we'd be a smidgen of the way to being able to go out and blow ten grand in Lost Wages, Nirvana.

Just sayin'.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

billf wrote:
monkey man wrote:The SPX90 springs immediately to mind.
Yes, I had an SPX 90 II. I sold it, but sort of wish I still had it as nothing else can quite capture that sound.
I had two SPX90II units, but one died. I literally threw it out. I wish I'd saved it. It might have been a power supply or something that could be fixed. It had been mangled on the road, so whatever was damaged was probably physically broken.

Now I have one. Not much good for processing two-tracks, but I do almost everything in the box these days, anyway.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
davedempsey

Post by davedempsey »

I sold off a number of SPX units from the production inventory where I used to work. They all required service prior to sale - all but one was easily repaired and back in 100% condition. The problems were all related to aged capacitors.
Lots of stuff and a recently acquired ability to stop buying