88 key controllers

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 88 key controllers

Post by mhschmieder »

Yes, the Nektar is the one I was thinking of; thanks for posting that!

Also, the Alesis fans will be happy to know they have one or two new digital pianos shown at NAMM this year. I wasn't interested so didn't dwell on them and thus can't find the links. Should be easy to find in a few days though as the dust from NAMM settles and more vendors and manufacturers get their sites up to date for forthcoming product.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Even though I'm not a great keyboard player, I always thought the Akai MPK88 had fantastic touch. It's still available on Sweetwater's site.

An Akai rep I spoke with at NAMM told me *confidentially* (wink, wink) that—with the intro of MPK-2 keyboards in other sizes, to look for a MPK-288 later this year.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

That Nektar 88-key is semi-weighted, has some onboard controls and velocity pads, only one switch pedal (I think).

It is $320, which is a pretty nice bargain if it has a good feel & response.

BTW, a few months ago, there was a demo of a new orchestral sample VI where a composer showed his work flow in scoring a scene. He played in all of his parts on a nektar keyboard and used some kind of fader bank for some kind of realtime expression.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

I require 3 pedals for my setup. Sustain, Expression (wah), and a third I use for patch changes. I really wish someone would come out with some kind of USB device with multiple 1/4" ins that you could simply assign to whatever, but NOPE! Until then, that's a dead requirement for me. Also, I'm an aftertouch ••••• and I require some kind of number buttons for patch changes.

I think so many keyboardists are multi-board players, and in some ways, that makes this stuff easier, you have a bunch of boards all with different features. I decided long ago that more than one board wasn't for me, therefor, I need one weighted 88 key with all the bells & whistles I need.

The one I don't need, curiously, is a bunch of sliders. If I'm not playing with two hands at almost all times, I feel like I'm slacking off, so I rarely use sliders. My mod wheel blew out a year ago, and though I probably could fix it, I really don't care. I use aftertouch for vibrato and expression pedal for wah/morphing. Once in a while I'll use one of the CC sliders, but I can't remember the last time I mapped the mod wheel to something.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Rick Cornish wrote:Even though I'm not a great keyboard player, I always thought the Akai MPK88 had fantastic touch. It's still available on Sweetwater's site.

An Akai rep I spoke with at NAMM told me *confidentially* (wink, wink) that—with the intro of MPK-2 keyboards in other sizes, to look for a MPK-288 later this year.
Good to hear, GC reps were telling me it was discontinued, and a good friend lost his MPK88 to a flood of run off firehose water from a burning house next to his. He's waiting on a settlement from his insurance company, and getting a newer model would be cool.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
wheever

Post by wheever »

Prime Mover wrote:I require 3 pedals for my setup. Sustain, Expression (wah), and a third I use for patch changes. [snip]
Although, arriving on this thread I've learned my beloved MPK88 has been discontinued, I still wanted to point out that, among its other considerable charms are THREE PEDAL INPUTS, which are programmable in pretty much any fashion you might like them to be. Grab one before they're all gone!
Performer user since--HOLY CR*P--1986? YIKES!
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

I just picked up a Roland A88. Great piano action. Three pedal inputs. Plus a couple knobs and a couple buttons which are each mappable to any MIDI controller you like. It also weighs far less than the MPK88 (a 65-lb tank) and is small enough to tuck under your arm. All in all, a very good option if you're looking for piano action and simple—but very capable—operation.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Good to know. Thanks.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
davedempsey

Post by davedempsey »

I've been considering the Nektar. I still use my Yamaha S80 for live shows and love the action - but that case is an absolute punish :(
I use the Nektar P6 as second board and it's been fine. I just can't decide if the easier lug is sufficient justification for the downgrade in keyboard action. On the up side of the equation, of course, is that the Nektar LX88 offers DAW integration for DP [/url] http://www.nektartech.com/c.1289520/Dow ... former.pdf [/url]
Lots of stuff and a recently acquired ability to stop buying
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

If we're talking 61 note controllers, I'm very fond of this puppy:

http://www.rolandus.com/products/pcr-800/

Not a piano action and won't replace my 88 key Kurzweils (PC88 and PC-2) but as a little desktop board for VI entry and notation work, it really is a fine piece of hardware.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Yup, and apparently good for controlling the INTEGRA-7 and other SuperNatural™ devices, according to the Roland Clan forum.

Still got my 26+ year-old A-50. Only 76 unweighted keys, and poly AT sends data 3 octaves above the keys pressed, but it's still holdin' together... just.

Funny, I bought Alan Zavod's A-80 (I think that's what it was called), which was the 88-key version of my board. Got talked into swapping it for this one (almost a straight swap!) a day or two later. One of the dumbest things I've ever done. I spoke to the fella concerned recently after a decade and a half since seeing him, and he reckons the thing's on the floor in a corner of a room, guts hangin' out and out for the count. I know I wouldn't have allowed that to happen. To this day it's a highly desirable piece of kit.

They still don't make 'em like they used to, but I continue to live in hope.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
billf

Post by billf »

monkey man wrote:Still got my 26+ year-old A-50. Only 76 unweighted keys, and poly AT sends data 3 octaves above the keys pressed, but it's still holdin' together... just.
I still have (and use) my Yamaha DX-11. It only has 61 keys, but the thing is as tough as a tank. The only thing I've ever had to replace is the ram battery.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Oh yeah, Billy.

The DX series was an order of magnitude tougher than my Roland, for sure.

That thing'll outlast even you, bro'.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Though I won't have much of a basis for comparison, I will post a review of the new VAX keyboard when it ships next year. I expect the action will be pretty unique, offering some of the weight and throw of a hammer, but with a different key return and action. Oh, and Poly AT.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
billf

Post by billf »

monkey man wrote:Oh yeah, Billy.

The DX series was an order of magnitude tougher than my Roland, for sure.

That thing'll outlast even you, bro'.
Some of those 80's products have stood the test of time.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1