FreeMidi Default names files for Multiple Same Model Devices

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Creative-Testing
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

FreeMidi Default names files for Multiple Same Model Devices

Post by Creative-Testing »

Hi,

I understand this question is going back in time quite a bit ...
But I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with this situation.

Does anyone out there know how to access Patchlists for multiple Devices of the same model via MOTU's FreeMidi?

There is one Device file for each model unit in the Default names folder ...

In my case-
There is one JV1080 file in it's Default names folder,
which I can successfully configure for one JV1080, but-

That same Default names folder reference file is referred to for patchlists ...
even if there are multiple JV1080s ... with different voices & setups ...

Even if that file is duplicated,
the duplicate renamed, and it's patchlists reconfigured ...

So again-
How to access more than one of the same model MIDI device in FreeMidi's Default names folder...?

Thanks very much for your time!

Howard
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: FreeMidi Default names files for Multiple Same Model Dev

Post by Shooshie »

Umm... are you using classic MacOS? I haven't seen FreeMIDI in 12 years. Not that there's anything wrong with it. I just don't know where you'll find the best information on this. If it comes from any of us, it'll be through dim memories awakened by your question.

Have you searched for FreeMIDI on the web? There may be a site out there devoted to the people who still use it. It would be interesting to to know how many there are.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Can one even use Free MIDI anymore? I thought Apple's Core MIDI made it incompatible, if not obsolete.. but like Shoosh said, the OP might be using Mac OS9.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Funny, I was looking at it the other day on my G4 running OS 9 and trying to see if I remembered anything.

Not really except what's contained in this little article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeMIDI

MOTU still has help files on FreeMIDI such as this one from 2004. You might find the info you need by searching there.
http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technot ... 8842270181

http://www.motu.com/products/software/freemidi
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro