Twofold Memory Issue/Question

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Dave Connor
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Twofold Memory Issue/Question

Post by Dave Connor »

I am running DP 8.07 in 32 bit mode while running lots of VE Pro instances stand alone in the background. DP is using around a gig of RAM while VE Pro is using 20 or 30 gigs depending on my orchestral template.

Question 1, DP should be fine and not stressed at all using a gig of ram as that leaves nearly 2 gigs of head room in 32 bit mode - correct? (I haven't upgraded to 64 bit Altiverb which is the reason I am still at 32 bit in DP: it hasn't been an issue.)

Question 2, I am getting steaming problems (stuttering - dropouts) since I'm up to twelve instances of VE Pro which seems to want 5 or 6 instances tops. Would I be better off going 64 bit in DP and offloading some of my Kontakt instruments in VE Pro back to inside DP?

VSL libraries are wonderfully optimized but other libraries are such hogs that I'm looking for a better solution for allocating resources. All the above is within my Mac Pro.

Thanks for any help!
2012 Mac Pro 12 Core, OS 10.8.5, 64 gigs ram; 2408 (3), 308, DP 8.07 http://www.daveconnor.net