Disable Auto Region/Clip Sizing/Splitting?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
arthurputy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Disable Auto Region/Clip Sizing/Splitting?

Post by arthurputy »

Hi,

Is there a way to stop DP from splitting up my clips/regions? I just want to be able to handle this manually for some projects. If I want a clip to be 4 bars or 8 bars then I don't want it to change regardless of what it contains. I sense its not possible but am hoping it might be.

TIA
Mark
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Disable Auto Region/Clip Sizing/Splitting?

Post by Shooshie »

arthurputy wrote:Hi,

Is there a way to stop DP from splitting up my clips/regions? I just want to be able to handle this manually for some projects. If I want a clip to be 4 bars or 8 bars then I don't want it to change regardless of what it contains. I sense its not possible but am hoping it might be.

TIA
Mark
Somewhat. There's a preference option for changing the way it parses regions, but it's not very useful for what you're asking. I've never heard regions called "clips."

DP is selection based, more than region based. You select what you want, then maintain your selection until you're done with it. That's not like Logic and most other DAWs, where entire regions of MIDI events can be handled like a single object. That is universally the thing that people hate when converting from Logic (and other region-based DAWs), and yet it's also one of the reasons why I cannot stand to work in Logic. I hate region-based MIDI sequencers. I want to make my own selections, maintain them with my own little tricks for doing that, and perform my operations on exactly what I want, rather than always having to deal with the region, first. Auto-regions are annoying.

If you want to turn off that grouping at any time in order to make specific selections in the Tracks Overview Window, hold down the COMMAND key while selecting. Also, in the preferences under "Tools," you'll find the ability to select ranges, events, or both, with keyboard commands for each. It can be very helpful to learn the benefits of each of those types of selections, and using them when the need arises, rather than always sticking with one of those options.

Also helpful is the Search feature, which can save searches that produce certain selections, for instant re-application later.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|