routing MIDI to a plug

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
theprez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

routing MIDI to a plug

Post by theprez »

Hi. Tried a search but came up short, so I apologize if this is basic.
I'm running 7.2.4 on a MBP. I have an "Instrument" track with a VI, and a corresponding "MIDI" track assigned to the Instrument track.
I've inserted a third party plug on the insert below in the mixer window.
The plug-in is designed to respond to MIDI cc from two sources (mod wheel/sustain pedal) in order to throw a "switch" within the plug-in.
My question is: I don't know how to direct the MIDI to the plug-in.
In other words, my MIDI is going to the VI and it is working as expected, but it is not simultaneously being routed to the inserted plug.
I'm looking for my manual, but it may take me a while to remember where it is :lol:
Any help will of course be appreciated.
David Polich

Re: routing MIDI to a plug

Post by David Polich »

You have to put DP in "MultiRecord". Go to the "Studio" menu and in the drop-down list, you'll
see "MultiRecord" as an option, select that.

Now you will be able to engage record for multiple tracks, either MIDI or audio.

The second thing you have to do is to create a MIDI track for the plug-in itself. Record enable
that track as well as record-enabling the VI's track. You'll be good to go.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
theprez

Post by theprez »

I assume I also would have to route the output of the VI to an bus and set that bus as the input to the track with the plug, but I'm still a little confused as the track with the plug is still not an "Instrument" track. It is just a standard "audio" track with the plug inserted.
Shouldn't there be a simpler way, like some way to just have the single "Instrument" track with the plug inserted, and an option that allows the MIDI to "pass through" to the inserts??
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Not sure to get where you are...

Can't imagine a situation where a MIDI track information would drive an audio plugin. But is it just me?

DP Audio plugins can be drived by audio track automation, instead.
Such automation is inserted in audio track thru recording automation, or thru graphic automation.

Time to go back to the great DP user manual, part mixing, chapter automation?
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
theprez

Post by theprez »

This is a new plug that I've been helping develop. It is a rotary speaker or "Leslie" simulator, and it is intended as an insert plug, but if you're familiar with typical rotary speaker operation, you know that in it's most common usage, there is a switch on the organ that sends a speed change message to the Leslie. This plug-in uses cc info from either a Mod Wheel or a Sustain Pedal to tell the plug to change speed. I've been told that it is working so far on all other tested platforms, but there has been difficulty with DP/AU.
Just got another Beta, so I'm off to try it again with Multirecord.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

theprez wrote:I assume I also would have to route the output of the VI to an bus and set that bus as the input to the track with the plug, but I'm still a little confused as the track with the plug is still not an "Instrument" track. It is just a standard "audio" track with the plug inserted.
Shouldn't there be a simpler way, like some way to just have the single "Instrument" track with the plug inserted, and an option that allows the MIDI to "pass through" to the inserts??
You're a bit confused still. Just set it up this way -
1. Put DP in MultiRecord mode.
2. Create an instrument track and assign the Organ VI to it. It should come up routed to whatever your main stereo bus is (for example, I use an Apogee Duet, and the default audio assignment for every track is Duet Main Output L & R). The instrument track is a special type of track, it is NOT an audio track that your record to. It is a track with a virtual instrument that outputs audio from that virtual instrument.
3. Create a MIDI track assigned to the organ VI.
4. Place the rotary speaker effect on an insert slot of the organ VI instrument track (do this in the mixing board window).
5. Create a second MIDI track assigned to the rotary effect.
6. Set up the rotary effect so that the Mod wheel of your MIDI controller controls rotary speaker speed. The rotary plug-in probably has a "MIDI learn" feature, whereby if you engage MIDI learn for a particular knob or slider, and then push up the Mod Wheel, it will remember that the mod wheel controls that parameter. Or it may be that you set up what controllers affect particular parameters in some kind of drop-down menu or dialog box.

That is all you need to do. Now when you record with the organ VI's MIDI track and the rotary effect's MIDI track both record-enabled, you can play and record the organ part and push up the mod wheel to make the Leslie go from slow to fast and back down again.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
theprez

Post by theprez »

Yeah. I did it like that previously,and it did not work. However, another tester confirmed my bug report with DP/AU, and it is now fixed with the current Beta.
All is working as it should.
Thanks David and all for the guidance.
BTW: This rotary sim is awesome sounding, but I don't want to be assumed a spammer (though I have nothing to gain here), so I'll keep it to myself. It will be public knowledge soon enough.
Thanks again