Guitar Hand Slide Noise

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Simsy
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Guitar Hand Slide Noise

Post by Simsy »

Hi

So first thank you for all the advice on plugins for the noise removal plugins. I got the izotope RX and it has worked a treat. However in one particular cue I have, there is an abnormal amount of guitar hand slide noise, I have tried to EQ it but I am more of a composer than engineer, and I can't seem to reduce it enough. It just might be the recording. But I am looking for any advice and help to get me to reduce it the best I can?

Thanks!
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Guitar Hand Slide Noise

Post by mikehalloran »

A de-esser that can be tuned is often your best choice. A dynamic eq is another good tool for the use, I am told but I haven't tried that yet.

In fact, I have a particularly nasty live stereo track that I have to fix and am going to try both methods this weekend to see which works best for me. I have a couple of dynamic EQs including the one in Ozone 6 and tunable de-essers including Nectar 1 (aka Elements) and Nectar 2.

Compression usually emphasizes finger squeaks so you want to attack the problem first.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

You can easily reduce or even remove this noise in Izotope RX4. You didn't say what version
of RX you have.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

David Polich wrote:You can easily reduce or even remove this noise in Izotope RX4. You didn't say what version of RX you have.
I might try that also (I have RX 4 Advanced).
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

A de-esser is often a good choice, but when the squeaks aren't as loud as the notes, you can often suck a lot of sparkle & high end out of the track. The key is to find the frequency that the squeaks are made of (which you can do by looking at the FFT display on DP's MW EQ or Dynamic EQ displays). Then create an EQ band that encompasses the squeaks. Set the ratio, threshold and look-ahead so you catch the squeaks without harming the regular playing.

I only mention those points because you said you don't have as much engineering experience.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Thanks for that. I knew that I had at least one other dynamic EQ but forgot that it was bundled with DP.
Simsy

Post by Simsy »

Hi

Thanks for the advice. I am really struggling to clean this file, as I said I am more a composer than engineer, though I struggle at both! lol.

I know it is a big ask, but would anybody be able to help me with this single guitar audio take? I would really appreciate it! I was able to get rid of the hiss ok with RX, but not the guitar hand squeaks and the odd click.

Any help would be amazing!

Thanks!
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

There used to be a video demo about this special task in RX from iZotope.
Can't find it right now. AFAICR, it was called Spectral Repair.
It was about a graphic coloured representation of :
- time (x)
- spectral content (y)
- level (colour)
An easy graphic x-y selection was the way to get rid of finger noises.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
bolla

Post by bolla »

I've tried various de-esters, isotope RX and also dynamic eqs.
No matter what technique they all degrade some other part of the gtr track that doesn't have left hand squeaks. So with each option I've de squeaked a track and dropped it onto the original version just for the squeaks.
Time consuming but effective.

Current process is to just find the squeaks manually and then individually drop those soundbites.

Select the squeak. They are easy to see in the waveform.
Create the region.
Drop the gain for that region. Anywhere from 5-15db.
Cross fade the joins.
Effectively a full bandwidth desser but one that you can control.

I have shortcuts set up for each move so once I've found the squeak I just hit three keys to drop its volume. Perhaps with quick keys or similar I could get that down to 1 keystroke.
Cheers, Bolla
8 Core 2.8 10.11.1 DP 8.07 | Dual 2.5 G5 VEP Slave | PC i7 920 VEP Slave | UAD Sat Quad | MiniMoog
Simsy

Post by Simsy »

Audio is almost there! I used RX to remove the hiss and did as you suggested used the bite volume to lower the hand squeaks and it worked a treat!

I have one single click in the audio, but for the love of me can't work out how to remove it? I have zoomed way in but can see any abnormalities on the audio to fix. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks for all the help so far, it is sounding so much better.

Cheers.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Zoom in harder. Then pan (scroll) around until you see it. Sometimes the pencil tool in the waveform is the best tool. BUT since you have RX, probably just select the small area where the click is and let RX de-click it.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com