Editing BCF2000/HUI functions for Digital Performer

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Girlyboy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Editing BCF2000/HUI functions for Digital Performer

Post by Girlyboy »

Hi All

I'm a newcomer to the site, and to digital performer too. I'm a live sound engineer by profession, so I'm not entirely green. I've set up a recording rig that allows me to track up to 48 inputs simultaneously at festivals etc, it has a passive split feeding 6 x Presonus D8 into 2 x MOTU 24 i/o (into a 2007 Mac Pro running DP8 and Logic Pro X) and 2 x HD24 as backup recorder, plus a Behringer bcf2000 for quick fader access. So far so good, everything is talking and working.

What I'm trying to find out, is how do I change the functions of the buttons on the bcf2000? I've not found much documentation or youtube footage. What I'd like to find out in particular, is how to make the encoders switch between Pan, Hi Pass filter, Comp and Gate thresholds, and fader wise, how to put the unit into 'flip' mode whereby you can mix aux sends on faders (for headphone mixes). Is it something you can set from within DP? Or do I have to create a windows partition on my mac JUST to use Behringer's B-Control editor?

Anybody have any experience with this? Apologies if this has been covered before, deep within another thread somewhere, please point me to it!
intune820

Re: Editing BCF2000/HUI functions for Digital Performer

Post by intune820 »

Hi!

I've just spent about 8 hours figuring this out through trial and error and what little information there was online. Here's my way of doing it. Assuming you have already figured out how to make it control basic volume and panning functions:
To control plugins with encoders:
1. Set the BCF2000 to Logic Control Mode (turn it on while holding down the 3rd button from the left under the encoders), then open DP
2. Select a track with the bottom row of buttons over the faders.
3. Press the "learn" button. This will set the BCF2000 to EQ mode
4. In the encoder groups section (the four buttons directly below the display which should read "Eq1"), hold the bottom right button down and push the encoder of the selected track. You should notice that the encoder values will change. Start fiddling with them and the first plugin insert should pop up. There's no way to tell which parameters you are editing without a display, but my method is to just look at the screen and see which knobs are turning. I imagine it will become like muscle memory once I really get good at it.
NOTE: IF YOU TURN THE ENCODERS BEFORE ASSIGNING THEM TO THE PLUGIN PARAMETERS, THEY DEFAULT TO SCROLLING THROUGH YOUR PLUGINS LIST AND CHANGE YOUR INSERTS. BE CAREFUL!
5. To select the next insert hold the bottom left button of encoder groups (this is a shift key) and press the bottom most left button (the one right above the word USB on the controller - when shifted this button acts as a down arrow sort of button). The lights should change again and you can then edit the next plugin on down.
6. To flip the faders and encoders, hold the top left button under encoder groups, then push the bottom right button under encoder groups.
7. To edit sends put the unit in "send mode" by pushing the "exit" button. The display will read S1. Select the next bank of sends by using the same method for plugins as described above.

Here's a link to a document that tells you what each button is - although, it doesn't say what each one does, which was highly frustrating. Still, its good for remembering where things are. https://musicgroup-prod.mindtouch.us/@a ... _Guide.pdf

Happy mixing!

-Tim
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

Just a note that the emulation guide Tim mentions above can now be found here:

http://downloads.music-group.com/softwa ... _modes.pdf

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

That's a deep dive, but I'm glad you updated. I have a BCR2000, and will add this pdf to the pile.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com