Cannot solo individual tracks

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MIDICH1
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Cannot solo individual tracks

Post by MIDICH1 »

Just got DP8.07 and option click on the PLAY column so I can just hear an individual track. But it's not playing any more, either via direct keyboard play or MIDI playback. After option clicking, and selecting still more tracks, they don't play either. I have to reselect all tracks in PLAY before the MIDI or playback works.

OSX is 10.9.5 and all of the instruments I'm using are from Kontakt 5.4.2.

I remember I could do this in the previous DP7 so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Thank you.
27-inch iMac 3.8GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 with Retina 5K display, Radeon Pro 580 8 GB, 40 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, 2.12 TB Fusion Drive
Tritonemusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Cannot solo individual tracks

Post by Tritonemusic »

If you're routing through an Aux track, check your Solo Exempt setting, just in case.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

MIDICH1 wrote:Just got DP8.07 and option click on the PLAY column so I can just hear an individual track.
I'm assuming you're talking about the Tracks Overview window. Yes?
When you option-click in the Play column it can solo tracks or mute tracks, depending on the what's muted or soloed to begin with. I've never figured out how it decides to do what. :?

It could be that you're muting (or NOT soloing) a necessary track for playback; an aux that things are routed through, perhaps (the reason for Tritone's suggestion). Go ahead and option-click the individual track you wish to hear, then check all your other tracks in the mixer window and see what's up.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MIDICH1

Post by MIDICH1 »

Tritonemusic wrote:If you're routing through an Aux track, check your Solo Exempt setting, just in case.
Not sure what that means. None of the Kontakt instruments are using AUX routing. In DP8, selecting the track I want to solo and is selected to record actually shows volume response on the mixing channel for that MIDI track. Yet, I can't hear it unless all tracks are selected.
27-inch iMac 3.8GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 with Retina 5K display, Radeon Pro 580 8 GB, 40 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, 2.12 TB Fusion Drive
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

MIDICH1 wrote:
Tritonemusic wrote:If you're routing through an Aux track, check your Solo Exempt setting, just in case.
Not sure what that means. None of the Kontakt instruments are using AUX routing. In DP8, selecting the track I want to solo and is selected to record actually shows volume response on the mixing channel for that MIDI track. Yet, I can't hear it unless all tracks are selected.
Solo the VI as well as the MIDI track.
MIDICH1

Post by MIDICH1 »

HCMarcus,

No, that makes no difference. Again, the odd thing is that DP shows volume going out when only one track is soloed, but it doesn't make to my speakers (or usb headphones, i tried it both ways). But when I select all tracks again, whether the VI is soloed or not, then I can hear that instrument loud and claer.
crduval

Post by crduval »

Check to see that the vi track is routed to your main output. Sometimes when I instantiate new tracks the output defaults to an output that I am not using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Ok, step by step:

When you solo a single track, all other tracks are suppressed, or turned off.

If you have audio routed to an output, chances are you didn't just set the audio track for that output. It's very likely that you ran ALL of your audio tracks to an intermediary track first. That would be an AUX track or a MASTER track. Maybe even another audio track.. IN any case, it's probably going through another track before it goes to your speakers. Check your routing and see. In the output for that track, does it say "Main Out?" Does it say "896mk3 1&2?" (that would be if your output device is an 896mk3. In actuality, it would say whatever your output device is, or it may just say 1&2)

If that audio track that you soloed is going DIRECTLY to your speakers, and if soloed it, and you could see the meter showing audio leaving the channel, but not arriving at your speakers, then we have a problem we'll have to explore further.

BUT... if your audio tracks are like most of ours, you first go through a master track, or a submaster, or some other aux track. If so, then you need to set that track (or those tracks) to "Solo Exempt." When you do this, it leave the necessary aux tracks and master tracks alone when you invoke the SOLO command. It just turns off all the audio tracks but the one(s) you solo.

Spend some time in the manual under the chapter on solo, and you'll learn all the ins and outs of soloing tracks. It's well implemented, but it's not as straightforward as it was on an old mixing board in a studio. It can do much more, but you have to know how it works.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Posting a screenshot may be helpful.
MIDICH1

Post by MIDICH1 »

Shooshie wrote:Ok, step by step:

When you solo a single track, all other tracks are suppressed, or turned off.

If you have audio routed to an output, chances are you didn't just set the audio track for that output. It's very likely that you ran ALL of your audio tracks to an intermediary track first. That would be an AUX track or a MASTER track. Maybe even another audio track.. IN any case, it's probably going through another track before it goes to your speakers. Check your routing and see. In the output for that track, does it say "Main Out?" Does it say "896mk3 1&2?" (that would be if your output device is an 896mk3. In actuality, it would say whatever your output device is, or it may just say 1&2)

If that audio track that you soloed is going DIRECTLY to your speakers, and if soloed it, and you could see the meter showing audio leaving the channel, but not arriving at your speakers, then we have a problem we'll have to explore further.

BUT... if your audio tracks are like most of ours, you first go through a master track, or a submaster, or some other aux track. If so, then you need to set that track (or those tracks) to "Solo Exempt." When you do this, it leave the necessary aux tracks and master tracks alone when you invoke the SOLO command. It just turns off all the audio tracks but the one(s) you solo.

Spend some time in the manual under the chapter on solo, and you'll learn all the ins and outs of soloing tracks. It's well implemented, but it's not as straightforward as it was on an old mixing board in a studio. It can do much more, but you have to know how it works.

Shooshie
Hi, read what you wrote and reading the manual and I'm just not getting anywhere. I'd like to include a screen shot, as was suggested, but I don't see how to do that on this page.
MIDICH1

Post by MIDICH1 »

I think I figured it out. Whew.
Tim

Post by Tim »

I wish I could disable the ability to hit Option Play Enable when NOT in Solo mode.
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

MIDICH1 wrote:I think I figured it out. Whew.
Would you mind telling us what the problem was?