Removing Hiss from Guitar Amp

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Simsy
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Removing Hiss from Guitar Amp

Post by Simsy »

Hi

I was working in a studio about 6 months ago and they had a plugin that you played the first second of an audio file before the guitar started playing so it could analyse the hiss and then it was able to remove the hiss completely from the audio.

I am working on a film that I have recorded 3 guitars, some cues have no other instruments, some have strings but the hiss is a bit of a problem. I was wondering if anybody knows what that plugin was or have one that does something similar?

Thanks.
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Removing Hiss from Guitar Amp

Post by Shooshie »

There are several, these days. The one I use is Waves' Z-Noise. It can not only remember the hiss that you play for it, but it can track the hiss (or other noise) as it modulates over time.

The plugin can be expensive, but usually goes on sale during December or thereabouts. (sorry if you just missed it) I paid full price, with no regrets. It's one of my most commonly used plugins. I put it on everything that has noise in it. There's some art to using it, but that's true for any noise-reducing software. You have to find the sweet spot that removes the most noise with the least signal removed from the audio footprint.

Some reasons I use Waves noise reducing plugins as opposed to the others out there are:

1) they are reliable
2) they are going to be there through the foreseeable future
3) Waves always updates their products and makes sure they work with each OS release
4) they all work as advertised, just about as well as any noise reduction can work
5) they are actually LESS expensive than some of the so-called 'legendary' noise reducing software.
6) if it removes the noise, it removes the noise. The legendary stuff can't remove the noise plus work some kind of magic that makes you like it better. It either removes it or it doesn't. Waves plugins remove the noise. There may be some fierce cases of noise where some other plugin is the way to go. I've got the Izotope RXii audio repair app for special cases, but so far I've never had to use it for that, because the Waves plugin fixes it in real time.

That said, Izotope's RX is... well, legendary. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Simsy

Post by Simsy »

Great, thanks. I will look at both and see which one I can afford! :D
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Another one to look into is SoundSoap.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Izotope RX is the go-to tool for many of us. RX4 is on sale from many resellers through January 5. It has other tools as well. You can download a demo. I consider it an essential part of my rig.

SoundSoap 4 is a one trick pony but should work well. It's available through the App Store for $99. No demo available.

I don't know the Waves product.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Simsy

Post by Simsy »

Currently Waves is $500 which is too expensive at the moment. I will see if I can pick up RX cheap from a reseller as you suggest.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Here's where you can find a list of the tools in RX 4. Besides Denoise, the Declip tool can also be a lifesaver in certain situations. Although noise removal works to get rid of hum, Dehum does it in a more precise manner leaving the bottom end relatively unchanged.

Although I have the Advanced version, I'll be the first to admit that most users don't need those tools.

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/aud ... #rxconnect
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

I've had great success with Z Noise as well, particularly lately with clarinet key clicks and lip smacks in vocals. The 'learn' feature captures the offending noise, and then as Shooshie says you play with it to find the sweet spot with sensitivity and amount of reduction. Works great.

Waves has had a lot of sales of late, you might check Audiodeluxe regularly. I believe that Z Noise is included in a couple of the upper tier bundles, some of which have been on sale as well. Could be you could score Z Noise and a whole lot of other great plugs at a fab price.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Yeah, Audiodeluxe.com is the place I was trying to think of that always has good sales. A little tricky to navigate, download, and authorize, IIRC, but well worth it.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Simsy wrote:Currently Waves is $500 which is too expensive at the moment. I will see if I can pick up RX cheap from a reseller as you suggest.
FYI... Waves is having a sale on Z Noise for $129 Saturday, 5/9/15.

http://www.waves.com/plugins/z-noise

If you have an account setup at AudioDeluxe, you can get it for $110.95 after you add it to your cart.

http://audiodeluxe.com/products/waves-z-noise
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Simsy

Post by Simsy »

Thanks James for the tip. I went and bought the iZotope bundle, great stuff, works really well!!

Just on recording guitars, got the HEIL PR30 mic, sounds amazing!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Simsy wrote:Thanks James for the tip. I went and bought the iZotope bundle, great stuff, works really well!!

Just on recording guitars, got the HEIL PR30 mic, sounds amazing!
Cool. I posted the above BEFORE going on and reading some reviews and it looks like the iZotope is supposed to be better. The application I'd probably be wanting something like this eventually is for having a third party alternative to the noise reduction built into Final Cut Pro X. I'm sure the plugs with a "learn" feature must be better than the default tools built in to FCPX.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Just for the record, I've used the Noise Reduction in Audacity (freeware) and it works pretty well for things that have decent signal to noise difference. It takes a noise profile in one step and lets you adjust a couple settings until you get the result you want. Probably nowhere near as good as the ones mentioned above, but in a pinch, it's not too bad.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

James Steele wrote:
Simsy wrote:Currently Waves is $500 which is too expensive at the moment. I will see if I can pick up RX cheap from a reseller as you suggest.
FYI... Waves is having a sale on Z Noise for $129 Saturday, 5/9/15.

http://www.waves.com/plugins/z-noise

If you have an account setup at AudioDeluxe, you can get it for $110.95 after you add it to your cart.

http://audiodeluxe.com/products/waves-z-noise
AS a long time user of Z-Noise (and many other noise reduction plugins), I must say that's a bargain! It's a great noise reducer. It's my go-to NR plugin.

Shooshie