Stretching a Vocal Note

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
jackibar
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Stretching a Vocal Note

Post by jackibar »

Thanks for the additional tips! Ummm... yes, they are each on separate tracks so it's that many edits on that many tracks :(

The tempo is 110 and yes, the 4 beats seem like an eternity when having to cut, paste, cut paste, crossfade... and still ends up wobbly. I haven't had a chance yet to try the pitch smoothing feature, but will see what that does.

I'm definitely thinking I might need to just get each person to drop by and sing that one note for me(!) - was just hoping to avoid having to do that if there was a way to do it with an edit feature...
Babz

Post by Babz »

You can use the Slip Tool after you've applied a Crossfade to slide the held note back-and-forth until you find the right spot where it's not so wobbly. You may have to use a really short loop and repeat it over and over.

To flatten out vibrato... On track in the SE, switch the view from Soundbites to Pitch (pop-up menu on the left). You may need to make your zoom taller and scroll the piano note ruler (on the left) in order to see the pitch segments. Then use the pencil tool to redraw the vibrato. Note: pitch editing is nondestructive, so if you're unhappy with the results, simply drag over the area with the marquee tool to highlight, and hit return. Then all your edits are removed and all will be restored to the original.

See Chapter 78 of the DP8 manual for a detailed discussion of pitch.

HTH,
Babz
Last edited by Babz on Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by James Steele »

jackibar wrote:I haven't had a chance yet to try the pitch smoothing feature, but will see what that does.
That may really help. You might want to duplicate the take before experimenting with it. I'm not in front of DP at the moment, but choose a track in the Sequence Editor and then choose the "Pitch" view from track view menu. You'll see the piano roll view of the notes and also a little squiggly line superimposed over the notes. That line represents minute pitch fluctuations (vibrato). I'm doing this from memory, but I think you use the option modifier key (or maybe its Ctrl) and click on that squiggly line and drag up or down and you can flatten out that line which will remove or greatly minimize the vibrato in a sustained note. In isolation, this might sound unnatural, but I've found that when you're stacking a bunch of parts, or even doing some old school 80's double or triple tracking of each vocal harmony :headbang: ... the results can be desirable so long as you leave at least one part of the stack more natural. The blend can be cool.

What I'm trying to say is that reducing the vibrato might help you with the warbles. Also, take it out of "solo" and listen to see if you can hear the slight imperfections in the context of the entire mix. As I get older, I'm learning to just let some stuff go.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
jackibar

Post by jackibar »

I was able to get it close enough that it sounds fine with all the other instruments playing :)

Thanks for your help!
buzzsmith
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by buzzsmith »

Just for the record, there is a fairly inexpensive app named "Amazing Slow Downer" that I use on occasion for pitch and time adjustments. Minimum artifacts. And I think that there is a free, but limited, demo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)