How do you output a MIDI track to Stutter Edit?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
remmet
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How do you output a MIDI track to Stutter Edit?

Post by remmet »

I recently got Stutter Edit, and apparently you control it with a MIDI track. To do that, the output of the MIDI track should be set to Stutter Edit. The problem is that in the long list of devices that my MIDI tracks output to, Stutter Edit is not among the ones that appear. There must be a way to remedy this, but exactly how escapes me.

Can someone clue me in?

Thanks.

Richard
Mac mini 2018 3.2GHz i7; OS X 10.144.6; 64 GB RAM; DP 10.1; Apollo X6; Kontakt 6; Omnisphere II; Adagio Everything, Spitfire almost Everything, Berlin Winds and Brass, Xosphere 2, and endless other sample libraries, acoustic and electric guitars, and assorted other essentials that have helped make me the "almost break even guy" my accountant so admires.
Shooshie

Re: How do you output a MIDI track to Stutter Edit?

Post by Shooshie »

Can you describe Stutter Edit, what it is, what it does, perhaps with a link to some page about it? Things that can be targets for MIDI output are either set up in Audio/MIDI Setup, or they are virtual instruments, or in the case of plugins, they usually will reference the track on which they appear, or will provide the DAW with a MIDI channel for routing in the MIDI control.

Not knowing Stutter Edit besides its consisting of two words which you wrote in your post ("Stutter" and "Edit"), I wouldn't know where to begin to tell you to look.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bjornln
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by bjornln »

Macmini M1 | Motu 828mk3 x 1 | 2 x Motu M64 & SSL XLogic Alpha-Link MADI AX | 2 x Motu MTP AV | OSX 12.6.x | DP 11.x | Mach5 3.x.x | 2xiLok | 2xUAD quad dsp card | Altiverb 7.x | SoundToys | Nomad factory | PSP | Arturia V-collection | Korg VI's |
and loads n' loads n' loads n' loads n' loads o' stuff.
remmet

Post by remmet »

Sorry Shooshie, I had looked through the archives for prior discussions regarding Stutter Edit and found several mentions of it, although not about my issue, and figured people would know what it was. Anyway, it's a plugin by Izotope that's used for a variety of electronica-based processing effects. Here's a link:

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/eff ... utter-edit

And here's a link to a user guide, with instructions for using it with DP (under Quick Start).

http://help.izotope.com/docs/stutteredit/index.html

Richard
Mac mini 2018 3.2GHz i7; OS X 10.144.6; 64 GB RAM; DP 10.1; Apollo X6; Kontakt 6; Omnisphere II; Adagio Everything, Spitfire almost Everything, Berlin Winds and Brass, Xosphere 2, and endless other sample libraries, acoustic and electric guitars, and assorted other essentials that have helped make me the "almost break even guy" my accountant so admires.
remmet

Post by remmet »

Okay, I figured it out, although I don't know why this solved the problem. In the list of AU plugins, Stutter Edit is listed twice. It's listed as Izotope Stutter Edit and just plain Stutter Edit. Evidently you have to choose plain Stutter Edit, and then a MIDI track can be assigned to it. Why this is the case, I don't know. Probably just to confuse and annoy us.
reedster

Post by reedster »

you have to choose plain Stutter Edit, and then a MIDI track can be assigned to it.
thanks much for posting this solution
MacBook Pro 9,1 15" 16gb | 10.12.4 | DP 9.13 | xAir | NI | WIVI | Garritan | Izotope | Bidule
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Wow! That is so COOL! At least for the first 30 seconds.
(Please, don't let your local police departments get their hands on this. They'll have it on their cars, making all kinds of effects for their sirens, if they don't already)

In fact, after about a minute of it, I begin to get that queasy feeling that happens when the neighbor's kid gets one of those toy guns that has like a dozen different "settings" that it rotates through every time he pulls the trigger. You know the feeling: "is he ever going to stop? Do I need to leave the country?"

But seriously, that's a very cool way of producing effects that used to take hours and lots of programming to produce.

Hey Babz... want one? (you out there, Babz?)

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
rickorick

Post by rickorick »

What color is the dress?
Used 2012 Mac Pro 3.33 6 Core 16g ram 10.8.5 DP 7.24
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

remmet wrote:I recently got Stutter Edit, and apparently you control it with a MIDI track. To do that, the output of the MIDI track should be set to Stutter Edit. The problem is that in the long list of devices that my MIDI tracks output to, Stutter Edit is not among the ones that appear. There must be a way to remedy this, but exactly how escapes me.

Can someone clue me in?

Thanks.

Richard
Stutter Edit is very cool. I've been using it lot for end of film credit music.

There is more than one way to connect Stutter in DP, which is good because it does something unique and different depending on how you connect it.

1) MIDI/Audio/Aux - Create a MIDI track, and audio track and an aux track. Use the aux track as your audio track bus. Drop some audio into the audio track. Insert Stutter Edit on the AUX track.

Connect your MIDI track, like your connecting to an instrument track, Stutter Edit will appear in the MIDI output menu. Your MIDI track is pointing to Stutter Edit which is an insert on the aux track, which is the bus for the audio track. Hit play to hear the effect.

2) Two MIDI tracks (need two keyboards for this one) and an Instrument Track - Go into multi record mode. Create two MIDI tracks and one Instrument track. Insert a synth pad or drum loop VI on the Instrument track. Send one MIDI track to the Instrument track as normal choosing one keyboard as an input source. Send the other MIDI track to Stutter Edit with it's input from the other keyboard. You can record both your instrument performance, your Stutter Edit performance AND you can bus the Instrument track to an audio track and record an audio version of your performance. Or you could take a send out of the VI track to an audio track while your Vi track outputs to your an aux for processing, or to the Main Outs. Again, hit play to hear the effect.

3) Try putting Stutter Edit on you master bus or master fader channel. Add a MIDI track and output it to Stutter Edit on the master fader. Hit play. Try that on you orchestral template with 100s of Vis playing back and..crazy!

That's the power of Digital Performer. People don't understand why we have separate MIDI tracks from our Instrument tracks - like it's a handicap. :roll: This is an excellent example of why! Flexibility and power to create anything! That's what DP is all about!

Enjoy!

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
tunefool

Post by tunefool »

I realize this thread is super old, but I'm currently having this same problem. I'm trying to route MIDI to Stutter Edit as an insert on any kind of audio track (audio, aux, master or even instrument). Stutter Edit will NOT show up as a destination for the MIDI.

The Stutter Edit plugin itself will show up just fine on any audio track I insert into. But there's no way to play it.

I'll add that I have Native Instruments' The Finger, which operates similarly. In that case, I can see it as a destination for MIDI. It appears as "Reactor5 FX: Audio-1: Insert A".

Hoping there's someone on this forum who has both DP and SE and can help.

I'm on DP 9.52. Stutter Edit is the most recent version.

Thanks!
tunefool

Post by tunefool »

This issue has now been solved for me.. at least for now. It looks like it is similar to previous posters' problem, in that the correct format needed to be loaded. But it is different in that, rather than narrowing down to one version/format, I actually activated a second format, and that's the one that works. To explain:

I tried Stutter Edit as an AU plugin since the SE manual says that's the only format that will work inside DP. The plugin showed up ok, but I couldn't send MIDI to it. After I had tried about half a dozen things, I finally went back to preferences in DP and activated the VST version of SE. That did it! Now DP is seeing SE as a MIDI destination.

So I now have SE activated as both an AU and VST version. I'm inclined to keep it that way even though DP generally doesn't like two active formats for one plugin. But since it's behaving smoothly, I think I'll leave it.

So all this is to say, if SE doesn't work as an AU, try it as a VST!
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

tunefool wrote:This issue has now been solved for me.. at least for now. It looks like it is similar to previous posters' problem, in that the correct format needed to be loaded. But it is different in that, rather than narrowing down to one version/format, I actually activated a second format, and that's the one that works. To explain:

I tried Stutter Edit as an AU plugin since the SE manual says that's the only format that will work inside DP. The plugin showed up ok, but I couldn't send MIDI to it. After I had tried about half a dozen things, I finally went back to preferences in DP and activated the VST version of SE. That did it! Now DP is seeing SE as a MIDI destination.

So I now have SE activated as both an AU and VST version. I'm inclined to keep it that way even though DP generally doesn't like two active formats for one plugin. But since it's behaving smoothly, I think I'll leave it.

So all this is to say, if SE doesn't work as an AU, try it as a VST!
Thanks for the reminder. The manual was probably written prior to the ability of DP to run VSTs. I ran into this problem a while back trying to route MIDI out from a Reaktor ensemble to a VI, and in my research I came across the tidbit that some NI plugs would only route MIDI in VST format. I'm kind of surprised that the AU versions worked for you. (your Reaktor ensembles are AUs, right?)
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
tunefool

Post by tunefool »

Yes, my Reaktor ensembles are AU. Work without a problem. All my plugins are in AU format.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

I'm not sure if it's misinformation or what, but I've been told over and over that AU's aren't spec'd to handle MIDI and VST's are. I've used MIDI from some software called Numerology (as an AU) reliably for many years, so I know it can be done and there must be ways around the AU limitations people are talking about. I know there are some other exceptions as well, but don't recall them at the moment (I'm thinking things like drum trigger AU plugs that generate MIDI).

Doesn't solve anything, just a tidbit of related info/experience.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
keybomb

Post by keybomb »

Go to your audio plugins preferences panel and deactivate the AU version of Stutter edit and activate the VST version of it. That did the trick for me.

DP 10.1