pencil-edit wavform peaks?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
otalgia-2000
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

pencil-edit wavform peaks?

Post by otalgia-2000 »

happy now year, everybody!

can the pencil tool can be used to reduce level spikes in the waveform editor? the manual hints at this possibility but doesn't detail how one may go about it. i'm hoping that any of you could confirm / elaborate upon this (or refute it completely so that i can move on!)

although i'm not even entirely certain that being able to do this would remove the crunch a sound may have inherited by being over the line on input, i thought it might at least avoid the subsequent additional sandblasting on output whenever that moment is played back.

i've been looking around for waveform editor pencil-tool tutorials on the youtube channel, i'm kinda surprised not to find very much on the subject in general. if any of you know of such, i'd appreciate the steer.

again, the very best to you all for a healthy and productive 2015 during which all gear functions at its best, and free especially of those pesky intermittents that are so particularly annoying!

o-2k

OS 13.2.1 // DP 11 // mac studio M1 Max 64 Gb RAM // UA Apollo x6 // Micro Lite // Falcon 2 | BFD3 |
stubbsonic

Re: pencil-edit wavform peaks?

Post by stubbsonic »

You can use the pencil tool to edit the waveform in the waveform editor.

I had used it extensively when a project had file damage and I had to go through (for many days) and zoom and scroll to find every little out-of-place sample and pencil over it. Ooog. Worked well though.

A couple things you should know. You have to be zoomed in to a specific range of zoom levels for the pencil to be active. There is a slight "smoothing" algorithm, so if you pencil something very specific, it may smooth that shape slightly. Zooming and scrolling are the main tasks so get your shortcuts really dialed in.

If you are trying to repair distortion, depending on the damage, the pencil tool can only improve things a little bit (in my experience). If you just have a couple little clipped peaks you can draw them more roundly.

If you have loud spikes, it really depends on how long (in duration) and complex they are whether the pencil will be the right tool. You often fix those things more effectively with region edits.
Last edited by stubbsonic on Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
leigh

Post by leigh »

stubbsonic wrote:You can use the pencil tool to edit the waveform in the waveform editor.

I had used it extensively when a project had file damage and I had to go through (for many days) and zoom and scroll to find every little out-of-place sample and pencil over it. Ooog. Worked well though.

A couple things you should know. You have to be zoomed in to a specific range for the pencil to be active. There is a slight "smoothing" algorithm, so if you pencil something very specific, it may smooth that shape slightly. Zooming and scrolling are the main tasks so get your shortcuts really dialed in.

If you are trying to repair distortion, depending on the damage, you might not be pleased with the results. If you just have a couple little clipped peaks you can draw them more roundly.

If you have loud spikes, it really depends on how long and complex they are whether the pencil will be the right tool. You can do more with edits.

Izotope RX 4 has this feature:

"Declip | Rebuild distorted audio caused by analog and digital overload, and get through projects even faster with the automatic Suggest feature."

**Leigh
I don't care what you play. I care how you play.— Karl Berger

iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W, 128GB RAM, Mac OS X 14.2, DP 11.3
VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

leigh wrote:
stubbsonic wrote:You can use the pencil tool to edit the waveform in the waveform editor.

A couple things you should know. You have to be zoomed in to a specific range for the pencil to be active. There is a slight "smoothing" algorithm, so if you pencil something very specific, it may smooth that shape slightly. Zooming and scrolling are the main tasks so get your shortcuts really dialed in.

If you are trying to repair distortion, depending on the damage, you might not be pleased with the results. If you just have a couple little clipped peaks you can draw them more roundly.

If you have loud spikes, it really depends on how long and complex they are whether the pencil will be the right tool. You can do more with edits.

Izotope RX 4 has this feature:

"Declip | Rebuild distorted audio caused by analog and digital overload, and get through projects even faster with the automatic Suggest feature."

**Leigh
I agree. If you have a lot of them, RX is the way to go.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro