Digital Performer audio engine resolution!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Tritonemusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Digital Performer audio engine resolution!

Post by Tritonemusic »

Since the MW Limiter processes audio at 64-bit floating point, what does that mean, exactly, when working in DP?
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

Well, if I understand this correctly, seems like the issue here is audio processing - where higher resolution makes a whole lot of sense (just like it makes a lot of sense to work in 24 bits when you want to end up with a 16 bit CD, or to process using 32bit float when you want to print 24bit fixed.) So it doesn't surprise me that folks implement it in summing, or finishing limiters etc. I'm sure it has its merits.

Also, just as an aside - ProTools (non-native) I believe was 48bit fixed internally, at least a few years ago, which is definitely better than 32bit float if you watch your levels. But not sure what it runs at now - and native ProTools is definitely 32bit float, as is almost everything else.

PS: Anyone who claims that 24bits is overkill should maybe re-visit their monitoring environment...? :smash: :P :koolaid: :dance:
Kubi
---------------------------------------------------
Kubilay Uner
http://kubilayuner.com
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Michael Canavan wrote:Exactly, I think this is why the Ableton software guys were somewhat miffed at 'fixing' their summing engine by using 64 bits. The two "issues" they dealt with from forum/end users were CPU performance and claims that their audio engine summing bus sounded bad.
I wish more developers would have the courage to take a stand and release a statement calmly stating an objective, scientific argument debunking the need for a feature and, as diplomatically as possible, say "Sorry, we're not going to waste valuable programmer hours on this non-issue." This will be the DAW world's equivalent of the $10,000 boutique speaker cable.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

James Steele wrote:
Michael Canavan wrote:Exactly, I think this is why the Ableton software guys were somewhat miffed at 'fixing' their summing engine by using 64 bits. The two "issues" they dealt with from forum/end users were CPU performance and claims that their audio engine summing bus sounded bad.
I wish more developers would have the courage to take a stand and release a statement calmly stating an objective, scientific argument debunking the need for a feature and, as diplomatically as possible, say "Sorry, we're not going to waste valuable programmer hours on this non-issue." This will be the DAW world's equivalent of the $10,000 boutique speaker cable.
Yeah I get why they did it, and arguably there is some future proofing benefits to it, but it was a concession they made to the masses, who understand just enough about the theory and applications of the math to demand things they don't need.

You see that in this thread, how many of us really understand the science behind, the computational or even audio related reasons for floating point VS fixed? 32 bit VS 64? and really understand the reasons why a developer would choose to use them? Yet we do jump to conclusions about it based on hearsay.

The only things that I can say with certainty based on developers talking about them are that 32 bit internal and summing engines are all that's needed, 64 bit OS and applications lets us access more RAM than we need to, and recoding in 24 bit reduces any artifacts created in the summing and bit reduction process to inaudible levels.

The truth of the matter is these days the tools are good enough, the improvements to the quality of the output are now on the onus of the person behind the computer keyboard.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Michael Canavan wrote:The truth of the matter is these days the tools are good enough, the improvements to the quality of the output are now on the onus of the person behind the computer keyboard.
Perfectly said. :headbang:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Kubi wrote:Also, just as an aside - ProTools (non-native) I believe was 48bit fixed internally, at least a few years ago, which is definitely better than 32bit float if you watch your levels. But not sure what it runs at now - and native ProTools is definitely 32bit float, as is almost everything else.
Many years ago (2000-2001 era) Pro Tools was set at 24 bits resolution. I'm sure it's been upgraded since then, and it would make no sense for it to process internally at less than 32bits float. But is 48 bits fixed actually better than 32 bits float? I'd have to see them side by side, comparing the details of each, before I could make that call. 32 bits float covers a LOT of territory, and it does so with less CPU overhead than 48 bits fixed.

If non-native PT is set to 48 bits fixed, I'd wonder if it has to do with some limitation imposed by the external hardware which won't permit a floating point DSP. Now, I don't keep up with Pro Tools, so I am just saying what concerns I'd want to check into before making statements like that. And after checking into them, I'd be happy with whatever the results are. So, I'm just asking if you've actually checked into that, and if you know that 48 bits fixed gives Pro Tools better resolution than 32 bits float.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

James Steele wrote:
Michael Canavan wrote:The truth of the matter is these days the tools are good enough, the improvements to the quality of the output are now on the onus of the person behind the computer keyboard.
Perfectly said. :headbang:
I'll pile on with a big +1.
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Shooshie wrote:
Kubi wrote:Also, just as an aside - ProTools (non-native) I believe was 48bit fixed internally, at least a few years ago, which is definitely better than 32bit float if you watch your levels. But not sure what it runs at now - and native ProTools is definitely 32bit float, as is almost everything else.
Many years ago (2000-2001 era) Pro Tools was set at 24 bits resolution. I'm sure it's been upgraded since then, and it would make no sense for it to process internally at less than 32bits float. But is 48 bits fixed actually better than 32 bits float? I'd have to see them side by side, comparing the details of each, before I could make that call. 32 bits float covers a LOT of territory, and it does so with less CPU overhead than 48 bits fixed.

If non-native PT is set to 48 bits fixed, I'd wonder if it has to do with some limitation imposed by the external hardware which won't permit a floating point DSP. Now, I don't keep up with Pro Tools, so I am just saying what concerns I'd want to check into before making statements like that. And after checking into them, I'd be happy with whatever the results are. So, I'm just asking if you've actually checked into that, and if you know that 48 bits fixed gives Pro Tools better resolution than 32 bits float.

Shooshie
Hi everybody, Klaus here ( mostly reading )
Since I am mixing with X32 ( Behringer ), I am impressed how it sounds, and that is 48bit fixed. Truly a difference, but I don't know if it is technically better, or ....what ?
I just like it. And the preamps and converters are probably doing their magic too

Cheers

Klaus
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

I have tracked at 24 bit for a long time, and I've been trying to remember consistently to switch to 32fp at mix, since it sort of gives you 'no penalty' gain shifting at the mastering stage. And really, why not record the full system resolution.

64fp audio sounds like a pointless exercise. 64 fixed would surely be enough if you could even find a system that would capture that resolution. As stated plenty here, 32fp audio files surpass the laws of nature that we need to be concerned with.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing