Hardware effects and monitoring

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Hardware effects and monitoring

Post by James Steele »

kresbeatz wrote:Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it. So, I decided to not using my pedals as sends in DP, it will be better just connect it manually to my synths and record processed sound in DP.

However, a lot of other DAWs provide absolutely reliable way to use hardware inserts. For example, in Cubase and Studio One you have "External Effect" plugin. You can load it in any channel and there are three fields: input, output and delay. Also you will find PING button - just press it and it automatically detects roundtrip latency and tell it to the DAW to compensate. After all, just save it as preset and you're good.

I'm not bashing DP, I just want to attract some attention to this theme, maybe MOTU will see it and do something in next updates.
This is a good idea. Believe me, I have suggested such a thing to the Powers That Be™ at MOTU for years. And no love, thus far. That and MIDI Objects are something I'd like to see also.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
kresbeatz

Post by kresbeatz »

James Steele wrote:This is a good idea. Believe me, I have suggested such a thing to the Powers That Be™ at MOTU for years. And no love, thus far. That and MIDI Objects are something I'd like to see also.
Anyways, I sent my request to suggestion box, maybe it will change something someday ;) Yeah, working without MIDI regions is still pain for me (I know about "you have to work with selections", "DP is designed to work with selections"), but I think it is not so hard to implement and it will definitely makes my life in DP much easier. Simply to have overview of the project and copy/paste regions fast without any "selections" in Sequence Editor will be great. Will see, maybe it will be implemented with one of the future updates.
MacPro 2013 6-cores + DP8 + Apollo 16 + UAD Satellite OCTO TB + KRK VXT6 + AKAI Max49
Nord Lead 4, Moog Sub 37, Analog Four, Analog Rytm, Boomstar 4075, OP-1
Eventide: Space, Pitch Factor, Time Factor; Strymon: El Capistan, Deco
MachFive 3 + Omnisphere + Alchemy + Komplete Ult. 9 + a lof of other VI's and FX
tlockett

Post by tlockett »

kresbeatz wrote:
James Steele wrote:This is a good idea. Believe me, I have suggested such a thing to the Powers That Be[TRADE MARK SIGN] at MOTU for years. And no love, thus far. That and MIDI Objects are something I'd like to see also.
Anyways, I sent my request to suggestion box, maybe it will change something someday ;) Yeah, working without MIDI regions is still pain for me (I know about "you have to work with selections", "DP is designed to work with selections"), but I think it is not so hard to implement and it will definitely makes my life in DP much easier. Simply to have overview of the project and copy/paste regions fast without any "selections" in Sequence Editor will be great. Will see, maybe it will be implemented with one of the future updates.
I did as well,I use ProtoolsHD 11 for this feature as well as VCA and better mixing experience, but I'd really like to see external hardware plugin, as I use real hardware as well, I would love to use DP if it had this feature, because DP is a great program for writing music
tlockett

Hardware effects and monitoring

Post by tlockett »

[quote="Tritonemusic"][quote="kresbeatz"]For example, in Cubase and Studio One you have "External Effect" plugin. You can load it in any channel and there are three fields: input, output and delay. Also you will find PING button - just press it and it automatically detects roundtrip latency and tell it to the DAW to compensate. After all, just save it as preset and you're good
+11111
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I'm probably too late to this party.

I use an old UAD-1 on a G5 as an external effect from time to time, so I think this is pretty similar to the setup described here. I did manually what Cubase does automatically using a hihat sample. You can then zoom into the audio waveforms to the sample level and count the delay. I did that, then used Apple's AUDelay to compensate for latency.

It takes a while to get it right, but once done, as long as you are using a specific set of outboard gears, it's all reusable. In my case, I was able to put all the necessary stuff into a V-Rack, and make it available to other projects without rework.

It would be nice if MOTU automated this exercise like some others, but it can be solved if you just think through the signal paths involved.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
michkhol

Post by michkhol »

There is also a free plugin: http://www.voxengo.com/product/latencydelay/. Did not try it myself though.
MacPro, 32 GB RAM, Metric Halo ULN8
macOS 13.6.3, DP 11.3
tlockett

Post by tlockett »

michkhol wrote:There is also a free plugin: http://www.voxengo.com/product/latencydelay/. Did not try it myself though.
Awesome, I'm going to try it and report back, thank you!
Cheers
Tommy