Import MIDI

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
RobTalbert
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Import MIDI

Post by RobTalbert »

I am a registered user of DP 8.07 with a manual but I can't find how to do this in the index. I'm sure one of the many expert users will know this, but as an occasional user, I am currently stumped.

I accidentally overwrote a MIDI track I had painstakingly input and then made several more edits before I realized the track was gone. I did several un-do's to get back to the point where I still had the track, and then exported the MIDI track as a file. Then I step forward to get back to my current spot and I want to import the MIDI track I had just saved. I go to File>>Import>>MIDI File as Sequence and browse to my file and Open it. All that works, but then nothing gets imported, as far as I can tell. I thought it would ask me where I wanted the file or just dump it in a new track, but doesn't seem to work that way.

Can someone point me in the right direction on this, please?

Rob Talbert
Running OS X 10.9.5
iMac M1 with 16 GB RAM, OS X 12, DP 11, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Waves Plugins, Melodyne, Kontakt, BLUE Kiwi and Neuman Mics & BLUE Robbie Pre; Martin D18, Martin OM25, Cordoba, & PRS CE24 Guitars.
Shooshie

Re: Import MIDI

Post by Shooshie »

Have you tried dragging the exported MIDI file from the Finder to the Tracks Overview Window? I don't remember whether that currently works, but it has in the past. There are two sides of the window to which you can drag a file like that. (I KNOW that audio files work) You can drag it to the left side of the window, where the track names and I/O assignments are, and it will create a new track and place the imported file at 1|0|000. Or, YOU can create a new MIDI track and see if it will drag into the RIGHT side of the window, directly into that new track.

Let us know if that works or not. Sorry I don't have time to test it first. Getting ready for holidays. Kids will be home in an hour or two, from out of the country.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

You can look in the CHUNKS window. That's where imported MIDI files usually end up.

In fact, you can just drag standard MIDI files right onto the CHUNKS window. From there you can copy and paste back to it's original location.

Good luck. I'm glad you were able to undo back to your track!!
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
RobTalbert

Post by RobTalbert »

Perfect! The imported MIDI file was there in the Chunks window - actually multiple versions of the same import since I tried it about 4 times trying to figure out what was going on. (I never really learned what Chunks were - seems like the manual could have something in the index about this.) I dragged the chunk into the tracks window without problem.
iMac M1 with 16 GB RAM, OS X 12, DP 11, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Waves Plugins, Melodyne, Kontakt, BLUE Kiwi and Neuman Mics & BLUE Robbie Pre; Martin D18, Martin OM25, Cordoba, & PRS CE24 Guitars.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

For future reference, the easiest way is drag and drop the MIDI file onto the left side of the Tracks Overview window. It creates a MIDI track for you in one easy step.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

That is assuming you don't already have a populated conductor track.

Dragging into the chunks window just creates a new sequence.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com