DP8 crash at load hint

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP8 crash at load hint

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

All of a sudden a project that was fairly reliable (not 100%) started to crash DP when I tried to load it. The error was caused by the Korg Wavestation plugin (great plug-in and I need it).

The workaround for me (in case you run into this or other plugs that cause DP to crash) is to start DP with the OPTION key pressed and select SAFE from the plugin set. Then load the project and go to preferences>audio plugins and select your usual set of plug-ins. At least in this instance, it allowed DP to load and play all plugs again.

Hope that helps someone at some point. :unicorn:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Re: DP8 crash at load hint

Post by stubbsonic »

That OPTION-launch/safe mode trick worked for me as well-- except that I wasn't able to activate other plugs very reliably.

Were you able to load your Korg Wavestation plug again and get to work? If not, will you need to reinstall it or do other troubleshooting?

In my current (stripped down) DP start-up, I'm operational, but I never nailed down the offending plug-in (if there is one). It was also unclear what outside prefs (besides DP), or caches might be damaged and require removal.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Wavestation is in my primary set of plugs. Once DP was already open with the plug instantiated via preferences, the project loaded fine. It was trying to load the project initially that was the problem.
It's just on of those things, one of those crazy things... I have no idea why it shouldn't load the Korg legacy stuff right after launch. Maybe a problem accessing the WSAD patches? Then it finds them after a safe boot?

Come to think of it, the Wavestation is the ONLY VI that needs to have a default patch change written into the track. Otherwise DP8 (and this is a new issue since both DP 8.04 and Yosemite) will send a patch change to the WSAD and it plays the wrong sound. All other VIs remember the patches that were used in the project. The WSAD also did until recently, and the crash report lists the Korg plug as the culprit to the crash.

<sigh> It never ends, does it?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:It's just on of those things, one of those crazy things... I have no idea why it shouldn't load the Korg legacy stuff right after launch.

Maybe it's that word "legacy."

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Thanks for the tip off - I have the Wavestation and the M1 plug ins and I must admit I have not used them since going over to DP8 and Yosemite.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.