Network popup when starting DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dixiechicken
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Network popup when starting DP

Post by dixiechicken »

DC here!

I have a small question :?

When ever I start up my DP-8.0.7 on my Mac Pro 2009 Nehalem.
I get a network popup asking if I want to allow
incoming network connection.
It warns that the functionality of DP may be diminished if I do not.
I usually allow it.
Truth be told I haven't noticed a difference either way?
(no doubt because of my very minor projects)

Has anybody any clue why that is and what to do about it.
Or what functionality I might loose by nor allowing network connections?

Cheers: Dixiechicken!
------
My God it's full of stars....
------
Mac Pro 6-Core Intel Nehalem/Xeon 2.93 GHz 32-GB ram, OS-X 10.13.5-Swe, DP-9.52, Unisyn-2.11, 828-MkII,MTP-AV usb, Latest drvs, Wavearts plugs, Kurzweil-2000, Proteus-2000, EPS-16, Pod-II,
Digitech RP-155, Soundcraft UI-16, Emes Kobalt monitors.
------
Shooshie

Re: Network popup when starting DP

Post by Shooshie »

I don't know all the possible functions that may be involved with local networks, but the use of DP Control is definitely one of them. It's an iPhone/iPad app, and it enables quite a bit of control over DP remotely using the iOS device. That, of course, connects through WiFi and LAN. Some virtual instrument hosts use the local network for I/O between DP and the instrument host. You can set up large templates on other machines that connect with your computer through the LAN.

This is probably even more important with MOTU's new AVB boxes. These interfaces can be used in very complicated networks for the most extreme demands of audio I/O, and they pretty much self-configure and manage their connections with DP via a form of ethernet. You can learn about them on the MOTU Audio Products Page.

As far as normal operations without DP control or one of the above network situations, DP will run fine without a local connection. It may not update the startup screen or check for updates, but it will run.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I had this problem with DP7 and the only way I could get it to stop was to delete my preferences. Not a deal breaker, but very annoying.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

This is just DP checking for updates. You should be able to turn it on and off in security preferences, or use Little Snitch to tell DP not to phone home.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
dixiechicken

Post by dixiechicken »

DC here!

Thanks guys for the info - that probably explains it :)
I guess I can sleep safe at nights - lols

Cheers: Dixiechicken!
------
My God it's full of stars....
------
Mac Pro 6-Core Intel Nehalem/Xeon 2.93 GHz 32-GB ram, OS-X 10.13.5-Swe, DP-9.52, Unisyn-2.11, 828-MkII,MTP-AV usb, Latest drvs, Wavearts plugs, Kurzweil-2000, Proteus-2000, EPS-16, Pod-II,
Digitech RP-155, Soundcraft UI-16, Emes Kobalt monitors.
------