DP8 - Greyed out "Guide" in Sidebar Cell Menu

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
wtcmusician
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP8 - Greyed out "Guide" in Sidebar Cell Menu

Post by wtcmusician »

Hi,

Just wanted to let anybody concerned know that since my last thread on selecting MIDI notes I have made a substantial effort to change my selection habits. Thanks again for all the advice.

Since getting DP8 I've noticed that there's a greyed out "Guide" option in the sidebar cell menu. I've checked in the manual and I can't seem to find anything on it and it doesn't show up in any of the pictures of the sidebar cell menu.

Does anyone know what I am talking about?
Shooshie

Re: DP8 - Greyed out "Guide" in Sidebar Cell Menu

Post by Shooshie »

The terminology is unfamiliar. "Sidebar cell menu?" Is that in Digital Performer? What is it that you are calling a cell? And a sidebar? Are you referring to cells in the Consolidated Windows? And what is the name of the menu? The WINDOWS menu refers to the sidebars and cells of the CW, but no "Guide."

However, upon further inspection, I found a grayed-out "Guide" under the HELP menu. Not sure to what this menu refers, but I can only assume that MOTU has a use for it, and when they time comes to use it, they'll let us know to look there.

Meanwhile, I'm glad to know you're building a solid foundation in selections techniques — which really do comprise the foundation of most workflows in DP.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

In the CW, drag open a column on the left (or right). Click on the tab that shows which cell is present (e.g. Chunks) to get the drop down menu and get a list of windows that can be opened in that cell. At the very bottom is "Guide". It is not active -- can't be selected.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
wtcmusician

Post by wtcmusician »

Yeah, page 101 of the 8.07 manual has a picture of the menu calling it the sidebar cell menu but I think it only names it this that one time. I was thinking that it's maybe something that is used in the Windows version and is useless in the Mac version but if that was the case why would they include it in the totally separate Mac download version? I'd like to think Shooshie is right and that it'll be used for something in the future. Yes, in the grand scheme of things this is totally irrelevant but I was wondering if anybody knew something I didn't about this greyed out Guide thing.