Recording Audio

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mikkimus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Recording Audio

Post by mikkimus »

Just updated from d.p.6

When I record and audio track I see the track information and the waveform but it all disappears when I hit stop.

The sounds are in the soudbites window, and I can hear them and edit them waveform editor.
Is this normal?
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Recording Audio

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Check the view filter. (CMD-f)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikkimus

Post by mikkimus »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Check the view filter. (CMD-f)

Thanks very much. I hoped it was something dead simple like this.
MIDI Life Crisis

And was it?! :shock: It's a long standing issue (IMO). CDM-f in ALL OTHER MAC PROGRAMS EXCEPT DP is the universal command for "find." In DP it is the view filter. GO to dismiss it (if you hit it instinctively to "find" something and where the usual dismiss button is, is the "select all: button, which essentially hides ALL your data.

It used to be funny. It's not anymore. I would estimate about 50 or so people in the last 5 years have asked about it and nearly every DP I know has been bitten by this stupid, STUPID, STUPID implementation.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

The cure is easier than the explanation. Just open Commands (Shift-L), look up View Filter, and change the command for it to something you would rather have. Maybe that should be a prerequisite to membership in the forum. Sort of an initiation ritual or something.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Shooshie wrote:Sort of an initiation ritual or something.

Shooshie
At least we don't have to jump off a 40' pole with a rope tied to our ankles or fight each other.... (we do the latter [not the ladder] anyway!). LOL
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

I still think there should be some sort of unobtrusive visible flag to let people know what they have filtered out.
DP10.13
MIDI Life Crisis

Dan Worley wrote:I still think there should be some sort of unobtrusive visible flag to let people know what they have filtered out.
I just call that "reality."
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
Dan Worley wrote:I still think there should be some sort of unobtrusive visible flag to let people know what they have filtered out.
I just call that "reality."
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yeah, if you haven't noticed that reality flag by the time you perceive that all your parts as missing... I'm not sure that an actual unfurled banner would do you much good anyway!

I can hear the call: "Someone removed all my parts and put a flag in their place to taunt me."

:unicorn:

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Seriously why would MOTU let something so easily fixed remain such a gotcha for their new (and old) users? It's a simple default command binding they could change with no effort at all.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote: if you haven't noticed that reality flag by the time you perceive that all your parts as missing... I'm not sure that an actual unfurled banner would do you much good anyway!
That only works on the Windows version. On Macs you have the reality distortion field.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

philbrown wrote:Seriously why would MOTU let something so easily fixed remain such a gotcha for their new (and old) users? It's a simple default command binding they could change with no effort at all.
I need to put that as the #1 item on the DP Tips Sheet (changing the command for the View Filter). Maybe that would help some people out. On the other hand, most people who come here for that particular problem do not know about the Tips Sheet, and/or don't believe it would help them.

S.