Signal / Tone Generator in DP 8?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Signal / Tone Generator in DP 8?

Post by Shooshie »

Allen Wrench wrote:Hahahhaa, I'm not really here to bash DP, I was just wonder "where" it was. I was thinking a "slate" plug would be a common thing someplace.

Can you name the White and Pink noise generators you use?

- ALLEN
To start with, every Mac user has a white noise generator in AudioMIDI Setup.

The others I'll name Crescent, Socket, Monkey, and Torque. You should be familiar with them.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

There is also a noise generator in MW EQ.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
billf

Post by billf »

Try the Calibration plugin, under the MOTU menu when selecting a plugin.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
ramadev

Post by ramadev »

I have 1kHz, 10kHz and 100Hz sine wave test tones on my desktop from an old audio test CD. I simply copied the aiff files from the disc into a folder, and if I ever need them I drag them into the project I'm working on. I also created a project with them called "Tones."
Nehalem Dual QuadCore 3.2GHz/8GB/828/MTP AV/10.6.8/DP8.0-DP7.22/Altiverb6.3.5/ChannelStrip2.2.23/T-Racks/AutoTuneEvo/GuitarRig4/Drumagog/bx_XL/FG-X,RC-Tube,VTM/EventideOmnipressor/MelodyneStudio-Cre8 3.2
MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz/2GB/Traveler/10.6.8/DP8.0-DP7.22/Altiverb6.3.5/ChannelStrip2.2.23/T-Racks/AutoTuneEvo/bx_XL/MelodyneStudio-Cre8 3.2
Neumann,AKG,Earthworks,Soundelux mics/ManleyVoxBox/Avalon737/Amek9098/Genelec1031As
darrell

Post by darrell »

Tone plug is pretty cool... http://www.tangible-technology.com/gtc/TonePlug.html

As you may know, it is a Cannon-type tone generator (noise plug generates pink noise, duh) that plugs into your D/A interface, mixer, etc (but only one channel at a time.
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

All the various noise generators, synths, white noise stuff etc. might be OK for incidental stuff but sometimes there is no substitute for actual calibrated test tones like you might see from a dedicated audio generator on a real world test bench. I've been using Katsura's "Audio Test" for years to generate such tones (sine, square, white, pink, brown, mono, stereo, steady-state, sweeps) either as real time audio or to generate soundfiles for use in DAW hosts.

For 5 bucks at the App Store, it's a tool anyone who calls themselves an "engineer" really should have.

http://www.katsurashareware.com/pgs/audiotest.html

Gary Hobish
A. Hammer Mastering & Digital Media
San Francisco, Ca
http://ahammer.com/mastering

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Thanks for the link!

I was hoping someone would remember this. I tried it long ago and liked it but couldn't remember the name. Pretty much does what most would want it to do.

For $4.99? Pulled the trigger.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Cool! Thanks Gary!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
waitsongs

Post by waitsongs »

+1 Thanks Gary, what a great tool! I've been using some homemade straight test tones for years, but recently needed sweeps and pink noise, so this will fit that bill perfectly.
DP 8.06, OS X 10.8.3, 8 core 2.8gHz MacPro, 14 GB ram, 32 Lives and JBridge, UAD-2 Quad Satellite, 828mk3, Apogee AD-16X, Trak2 and Rosetta, Eleven Rack, EWQL Gold Pro, Colossus, Goliath, Ethno World 4, StormDrum2, Komplete 8, LASS, MX4, Soundtoys Bundle, Stillwell plugs, Ozone 5, Slate Bundle, Trash, Waves C6, H-EQ, Autotune, Abbey Road plugs, Pro Tools 10, Logic 9, Reason 6.5, Final Cut Pro, lots of mic pre's, mics, instruments....
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

That's a VERY good tone generator. Better than any I've used. I had a decent one back in OS9, but I don't remember what it was. Not nearly this well-done, though. Those that I've happened upon since then have had far fewer variables than this.

I like that you can change the sample rate and resolution without changing that of the audio interface, and I'm wondering if you can learn anything by switching them to odd ratios, to see what kind of reinforcement/cancellation it may produce. I've tried some, but I can't tell yet whether it's actually maintaining that ratio.

Also nice is the fade-in/fade-out to avoid the annoying pop so common with these kinds of tone generators. When you're at the limit of your hearing, a pop can completely mask the difference between the tone and silence. Since I have pretty bad tinnitus, the only way I can tell the difference at the cusp of my hearing range is to hear the tone sneak in and sneak out.

They pretty much thought of everything. I think I'd have made the pitch slider fundamentally different from the volume fader. Once, I moved the volume fader up, thinking I had the pitch. If I'd raised it by more than a tiny bit, it could have blown my headphones, not to mention my ears. It's easy to tell them apart, but when you're going back and forth constantly you just might space out and grab the wrong one, as I did.

Very useful! Extensively conceived!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I have pretty bad tinnitus as well. It's funny I don't notice it unless someone mentions the word. Also funny how it seems to have little if any impact on hearing sensitivity. Ok, back to Gary's cool thing. Beeeeeeeeep!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I have pretty bad tinnitus as well. It's funny I don't notice it unless someone mentions the word. Also funny how it seems to have little if any impact on hearing sensitivity. Ok, back to Gary's cool thing. Beeeeeeeeep!
Yes, I'm a survivor of too many loud club gigs and tinnitus is a constant companion. Mine is made worse by the pharmaceuticals my doctors believe are prolonging my life. I can hear "through" it –– my doctors don't understand this.

The first thing I did after purchase yesterday was to re-check my top end. 13kHz, no problem. 15k, I know when it's there or not though I can't say I really hear it anymore. 17k... uh... is this thing working? I see the meters move...

Same results through my Equator D5s as my Sony 'phones. I did find it time to retire one of my headphone sets. Dad also needs a new subwoofer and now I have proof!
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Thanks for the info in this thread.
I was wondering what specific uses a tone generator might have and :idea:
Subwoofer calibration.
I can better adjust the crossover point and subwoofer level of my monitors.
That 100-200 range is always tricky for me.

Besides checking your hearing, specifically what else do you guys use these for?
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Doesn't AudioEase have something called "Make A Test Tone"? It's not an actual signal generator, but I think it allows you to create an audio file test tone? One could make that file into a clipping and have it ready in any project. Not necessarily ideal, but it might work?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

philbrown wrote:Thanks for the info in this thread.
I was wondering what specific uses a tone generator might have and :idea:
Subwoofer calibration.
I can better adjust the crossover point and subwoofer level of my monitors.
That 100-200 range is always tricky for me.

Besides checking your hearing, specifically what else do you guys use these for?
This article is a good place to start. It also has a links to downloadable test tones (not necessary with a good tone generator app).

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=95710

Those of us who go back to analog have other uses for a good tone generator app. I still have my old battery powered Teac for testing preamps, mixers and analog tape machines. I do some restoration and find them useful for calibrating Dolby B and dbx decoders.