Signal / Tone Generator in DP 8?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Allen Wrench
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Signal / Tone Generator in DP 8?

Post by Allen Wrench »

It’s amazing that DP 8 appears to NOT have a Signal or Tone Generator app.

The Tuner app does generate a tone, but I guess it’s meant for generating a signal to tune an acoustic instrument to.

I notice the MOTU MicroBook 2 does hype a Sine wave generator and White / pink noise generator. That feature doesn't seem to be in DP. I’m not sure it this is on-board DSP, or in the que mix or something.

With Digital Performer being MOTU’s flagship “Pro” multi-tracking program, I’d think this would be a no brainer.

Is there a Tone Generator plug in DP that I’m just not aware of?

- ALLEN
You may not be interested in Dr. Wrench, but Dr. Wrench is interested in you
Guitar Gaz

Re: Signal / Tone Generator in DP 8?

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Do other DAW's have them? Can't you generate a tone from the built in virtual instruments? Or from an external source? To be honest I don't see the need for DP to have one.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
Allen Wrench

Post by Allen Wrench »

As much as I hate to say it, ProFools has a REALLY kick ass one that comes with the program.

There are lots of uses. For example I use a Tonelux rig. So on tracks with stereo tracks, It’s really convenient to hit a plugin, send a tone, then make sure the levels match.

Right now I’m doing that with the DP Tuner app. But it would be really nice to be able to select a specific frequency, wave, etc
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

It would seem a simple proposition to setup what you need in a clippings window and have it at your finger tips. Not that you aren't asking for something that I would also welcome, but there is at least one workaround and probably a few.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Allen Wrench

Post by Allen Wrench »

Here's what the PT Signal Generator plug looks like...

Allen Wrench

Post by Allen Wrench »

Like I was saying, the MicroBook 2 has some pretty healthy generators and meters, so MOTU does have the DSP abilities. You would think these would be in DP !

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/ ... xtras.html
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Wow. For almost 30 years we thought we were using a professional app. We recorded best selling albums, created soundtracks to hit television shows and blockbuster movies. We ran the finest touring shows. Come to find out, DP was faking it all this time! It wasn't a pro app, because it didn't have a... what was that? A tone generator? Yeah. I guess that's what it is.

Ok, all seriousness aside, DP's primary business is connecting tone generators to tracks, recording them, and playing them back. If you can't find a tone generator somewhere around DP, you're blind as a bat and deaf as a doornail.

Try Proton, Polysynth, Baseline, Modulo, or any of the other VI's bundled in DP. The tones have specific pitches that can be identified with the notes on your keyboard. If you need in-between tones, use the pitch bend wheel. Not the scientific app you want? Download one. There can only be a few million of them on the app store, or the internet. White noise generators, pink noise generators... who ever thought it took one of them bundled in your DAW to be professional? All I know is that I've never had trouble finding white or pink noise generators, since I started using DP for audio. They're around.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Allen Wrench

Post by Allen Wrench »

Hahahhaa, I'm not really here to bash DP, I was just wonder "where" it was. I was thinking a "slate" plug would be a common thing someplace.

Can you name the White and Pink noise generators you use?

- ALLEN
Allen Wrench

Post by Allen Wrench »

MDA has an AU plug called TestTone, but I couldn't get it to work with DP

<http://mda.smartelectronix.com>
Last edited by Allen Wrench on Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MIDI Life Crisis

TP like in Bevis and Butthead?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

The calibration plugin (MAS) makes some nice noise.
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Allen Wrench wrote:MDA has an AU plug called TestTone, but I couldn't get it to work with DP

<http://mda.smartelectronix.com>
No, it won't work in DP 8. MDA plugs never made it to Carbon.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I've used AudioTest fairly regularly over the years. You could generate all the tones you need as audio files. But not sure if that scratches your particular itch.

http://www.katsurashareware.com/pgs/audiotest.html
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Allen Wrench

Post by Allen Wrench »

AudioTest looks cool. Something I can insert on a channel would be best. That way it would be easy to calibrate various tracks and all that.

Too bad I can't open Pro Tools plugs in DP